“I want to get into mortgage notes”. But what does that MEAN

“I want to get into mortgage notes”. But what does that MEAN

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I hear this all the time.  But what is the potential note investor actually asking?  The mortgage note field has a lot of different aspects

In general, one way to divide the note field is between people in the note business, and people who invest in notes.  Many successful people actually do both.  For people in the note business there are two basic ways they run their business.  One is a note broker that is a third party intermediary, just like a real estate broker, a stock broker, etc.  The note broker will attempt to set a purchase price for an existing note being sold, then turn around and set a higher price with a buyer for the sale of the same note. He never actually owns the note nor does he expend any of his own capital on the purchase.  A slight variation of this is  the broker that sets up the note sale for a fixed price, and receives a commission from either or hopefully both parties.

The other way brokers operate are more like wholesalers.  The intermediary will actually purchase a mortgage note using either their own capital or a line of credit from a banking institution or private equity/hedge fund.  In a variation the intermediary will bid for loans packaged or bundled together for sale, and if successful in winning the bid turn around and sell the notes either individually or in smaller bundles, of course at a markup.

For people who invest in notes I like to classify them as to where they appear on a scale ranging from active investors to passive investors.  Active investors will “work the notes” once they purchase them.  If they purchase a non performing note they’ll either work to make it “reperforming” or work to secure a foreclosure and gain ownership of the property.  Some investors do this to resell the property usually to rehabbers, though some do any needed rehab themselves and will sell it to homeowners, often carrying back financing for the buyer.  If and active investor purchases a performing note, they’ll work to increase the “yield”, often by offering reduced principal for increased monthly payments.  The “working” of a performing note to increase yield is possible because these notes are often purchased based at a significant discount to remaining principal balance.

Another type of active note investor will create a portfolio of notes by creating the note; either through originating hard money, high interest loans, or by selling property with seller financing.  In my experience this is not as profitable as purchasing notes at a discount to principal, especially a LARGE discount, but with the note market being what it is with discounts on performing notes hard to come by, creating or originating loan may be the best way to build a good size portfolio.

On the more passive side of the note investor spectrum, there are investors that purchase notes through note brokers or note originated by hard money lenders.  These investors are usually looking for a high return on investment, and are willing to learn about real property, mortgages, etc to knowledgeably invest. There more passive cousins tend to invest through note funds, leaving the purchasing decisions to the fund manager, and hopefully receiving a passive monthly income well above that offered by banking or money market funds.

If you’re a note investor, or in the note business, (or want to be), I’d love to hear how you invest and how you hope to invest in notes in the future.  

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
5Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 109 votes
3y

I'm on very passive side. I have invested in partials & funds. I do not buy notes directly, nor manage directly etc.

Key is the operators that I'm partnering with. They must be credible, honorable, skilled/knowledgeable, then the deal/fund parameters come in to play.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Don Konipol

    What we do:

    Our business plan is we are active in the space and buy approx 60-70% 1st position NPL’s and the balance are performing loans.

    We acquire these from other funds and individual investors. Do we buy from banks- NO. Why: because banks won’t give an investor the time of day 99% of the time and if I am fed plenty of inventory why waste money chasing something I will not get

    We will work the loan with goal of keeping borrower in property but also have skill set to take it through the legal process

    What we do not do:

    We do not originate new loans or table fund deals

    We do not buy Newly originated paper

    We do not broker notes

    We do not send mailings out to try and buy paper from individual investors

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 109 votes
    3y

    I'm on very passive side. I have invested in partials & funds. I do not buy notes directly, nor manage directly etc.

    Key is the operators that I'm partnering with. They must be credible, honorable, skilled/knowledgeable, then the deal/fund parameters come in to play.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    @Don Konipol

    I have invested in individual performing notes, partials, funds and did a successful JV on a re-performer as an investor primarily for the educational experience. I enjoy the niche and the flexibility it offers to spend as much or as little time with it on an on-going basis.

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    I would put myself in the interested category. I think some big reasons people are held back is they lack the capital and liquidity, or they fall short of accredited investor status. I know that it's not always necessary though.

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I'm interested in hearing more about this. Buying/selling notes is a good business, but it's important to be the first position unless you've got a fat wallet. What are some of the ways you assess a preforeclosure's value when you're writing a note? Trying to learn a bit more on the financial side.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @William Bowden

    Are you looking to buy notes on secondary market or originate your own notes?

    From financial side it’s really about measuring your returns compared to other investment strategies. What is your yield from a note (and risk) compared to X. Happy to answer more questions offline

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    Don that’s a great question.  Thanks for asking. 
    I invest solo and with some partners in 1st position performing notes on SFH. And, I/we use note funds to invest in NPL. We primarily purchase from note dealers and we don't broker, originate or wholesale notes. So, our goal is to capture the yield.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.