Foreclosing on a tax lien - property owned by a land trust

Foreclosing on a tax lien - property owned by a land trust

Murray Hill, NJ · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 15 votes

Hi. I own a tax lien in NJ. There is no mortgage against the property, and the property is owned by a land trust. Will this type of ownership (land trust) cause me any headaches when I try to foreclose?

Thanks.

0Reply
22 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Unfortunately i don't know the answer to your questions. Do you have an attorney who specializes in foreclosing nj tax liens?

  • Murray Hill, NJ · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    I don't have an attorney yet. Anyone you can recommend? The property is up in Sussex County.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I don't have a relationship with any of the following attorneys however I do know that they represent tax lien holders in this state:

    Michael Pelligrino

    Robert Del Vecchio

    Michael Bionchi

    Sorry I have no contact info on them. You should be able to Google them.

  • Murray Hill, NJ · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Thanks! That's very helpful.

  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
    12y

    No it does not matter, a trust is not exempt from losing a property due to not paying property taxes. If that was true we would have every deadbeat putting their property in one.

  • Sparta, NJ · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    You can certainly foreclose but you might have to wait a year after the foreclosure is complete to get a title agency to insure title if the trustee cannot be served personally.

  • Specialist · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2011 · 113 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    It is not any different to foreclosure on the tax lien given the trust. Your service could be more difficult but your attorney will be able to help resolve any issues. I have personally used Michael Pellegrino and would recommend his office for your tax lien foreclosure.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.