How I got started in note investing

How I got started in note investing

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

Today I want to share when I acquired my first mortgage notes. It was November 2016 when I decided to pull the trigger after six months of research and building an excel model that lets just say I went overboard with. So how much did this cost me to get involved besides an awful lot of time?

I started with four loans. They were in the amounts of $6,184; $3,100, $3,800. $3,418 = $16,502. I figured I would invest in real world experience instead of paying a guru $20,000 to teach me what I could learn online. Throw in costs for setting up entity and other stuff and call it an even $20k.

These loans were not easy to manage but I wanted to spread my risk across four assets. Two of these assets were in bankruptcy, one was a performing loan and the other was a non performing loan. We ended up resolving all and getting paid off on these four assets. 

Fast forward to today where we have managed over 700 assets. It has not been easy, but if it was, then anyone could be doing it. I share this for two reasons:

1. Start with a plan. While you need money you do not need a ton of it. Also make sure you do diversify.

2. I see far too many people rushing to get out ahead. I started when I was 41 in note investing. I did not make any money really the first several years because I reinvested it. Those reinvests did payoff, but be patient. Real estate is a marathon not a sprint. For many you are running full speed into a storm that you are not looking ahead at the clouds and unfortunately for those its not going to end well. 

Patience and discipline, and no you do not need to keep up with the jones'.

7e investments53 Reviews
27Reply
218 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y

@Chris Seveney, If you had paid $20k for a "mentorship" you could have made $100 million by now while working 4 hours per week (The 4 Hour Work Week) while lying around the beach in front of your $10 Million condo and your Rolls Royce with 3 bikini clad 19 year olds at your beck and call.  Sorry you screwed up by taking the harder and less profitable route.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Hello, I have been educating myself on mortgage notes, an I am ready to buy. It is very difficult to find them on websites other than paperstac. I also would like a service loan provider or some type of assistance to walk me through the first process, to understand the business and become more comfortable as I continue my note investing. Is there any advice you can give me? 

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 181 posts · 63 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tara Davis:

    Hello, I have been educating myself on mortgage notes, an I am ready to buy. It is very difficult to find them on websites other than paperstac. I also would like a service loan provider or some type of assistance to walk me through the first process, to understand the business and become more comfortable as I continue my note investing. Is there any advice you can give me? 

    Sure!  I would join social media groups that are about note buying and ask other note investors if they have notes they would like to sell.   

    Regarding the servicer for your loan, that depends on what state the loan is in.  We collected all the different main servicers and their fees for comparison then shared it on our resource list.  

    It sounds like you are looking for a "mentor", we would recommend turning to videos/podcasts to learn first before you start paying for those services.  Many experienced note buyers have their own shows (including us).
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 90 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tara Davis:

    Hello, I have been educating myself on mortgage notes, an I am ready to buy. It is very difficult to find them on websites other than paperstac. I also would like a service loan provider or some type of assistance to walk me through the first process, to understand the business and become more comfortable as I continue my note investing. Is there any advice you can give me? 

    There are those that are doing mentoring at an affordable price, I would either reach out to Kevin Shortle or Jamie Bateman. 

    Both are willing to help out. If you need an introduction to either please let me know I would be glad to make an introduction. 
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Tara Davis

    Some advice:

    1. Keep servicing at the current company on a performing loan. Why - servicing transfers can be lengthy and if you have a borrower paying to one servicer - if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

    2. Don’t get so hung up in the yield for your first note. Especially if you are spending less than 50k. I see many investors buy a $20k note and get hung up over the yield which the delta between say a 10 or 12% return is a few hundred dollars - waiting an extra six months to buy a loan costs you more…

    3. Trust but verify every seller. Order a title report and do your own BPO.

    4. If it’s a seller financed deal spend a lot of time on value and underwriting borrower. Many seller financed deals we see they price was inflated (saw on recently where home didn’t sell for 6 months at 79k so they seller financed it zero down for 99k). Home probably worth $50k… also check borrower credit and ability to repay.

    5. Post in fb groups and even here in classifieds what it is your looking for. We have at anytime $15M-$25M in loans in our portfolio - if someone message us and says he you have this - we can check and tell you what we got. Same with other sellers.

    Happy to answer other questions as well or share more tips.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2014 · 466 posts · 438 votes
    2y

    @Tara Davis I don't want to self-promote, but we have resources that can help you, and we have a tape of assets for sale now. Paperstac is also a great resource. 

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Jamie Bateman:

    @Tara Davis I don't want to self-promote, but we have resources that can help you, and we have a tape of assets for sale now. Paperstac is also a great resource. 


     Hi Jamie, I would greatly appreciate any help that you have to offer that will help my business grow. I am so excited you reached out to me!!! How can I contact you? or send me a message and I will provide you with my email and phone number for future business support. Thank you again Jamie!! 

  • Investor · Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2014 · 466 posts · 438 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tara Davis:
    Quote from @Jamie Bateman:

    @Tara Davis I don't want to self-promote, but we have resources that can help you, and we have a tape of assets for sale now. Paperstac is also a great resource. 


     Hi Jamie, I would greatly appreciate any help that you have to offer that will help my business grow. I am so excited you reached out to me!!! How can I contact you? or send me a message and I will provide you with my email and phone number for future business support. Thank you again Jamie!! 

     @Tara Davis send me a message here on BP. Or you can check out or Labrador Lending wesbite. 

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Thank you Jamie your website is very informative!

  • Professional · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi Chris - ever use notes as an acquisition strategy? Something I’m kicking around, who be great to connect and hear about your experience if you have. 

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      OP
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean R Higgins:

      Hi Chris - ever use notes as an acquisition strategy? Something I’m kicking around, who be great to connect and hear about your experience if you have. 


       Yes, there are specific notes I would do for acquisition strategy but its not our main strategy. Actually got one under agreement last night that I would say would be more for acquisition.

      7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.