CREATING a note for 20% + Yield - More Jimmy Napier Strategies Part 3

CREATING a note for 20% + Yield - More Jimmy Napier Strategies Part 3

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Okay, here’s a relatively simple one.  I did this about 7 years ago.  I came across an existing note for sale from a private lender liquidating their portfolio.  It was secure by a commercial building (owner occupied ) in an excellent location.  The remaining principal was about $450,000; the stated interest rate was 11%, and the note had 8 years to run with a balloon.  I offered $400,000 which was accepted, and my yield on the purchase price was about 12.75%.  
I know of many investors that would be more than happy with an 11% yield.  I sold half interest in the note for $225,000, which provided the 11% yield to the investor.  Since I was now in my half interest for $175,000 and was receiving interest on 1/2 the principal or $225,000, my yield was now about 15%. 
I also handled “servicing” the note for a 1% annual fee, decreasing the investors yield to 10% (they were still VERY happy with the yield and increasing my yield to 16%.  

This is a prime example of how investors ACTIVE in note investing obtain yields about 50% more than their PASSIVE counterparts.  If you have a $3,000,000 note portfolio, your return is (theoretically) $450,000 annually vs $300,000 as passive investor. 

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
2Reply
6 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Don Konipol

    We have done very similar on a quasi participation agreement where it’s a 12% loan and 2 points at $500k. Participant invested $250k along with us. They got 10% and we clipped the 2% of their $250k plus got the points.

    So we got $30k in interest, $10k in points and $5k from interest on their end so it was 18%+.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.