Loan Investing....do you even workout, bro?

Loan Investing....do you even workout, bro?

Dion DePaoliPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

A humorous tag line but a series topic.  (grab a soda, this will take moment)

One of the things that I like most about BP is the ability to come here and talk at varying depths about something that I am extremely passionate about. Those that have seen some posts of mine on the topic of Notes or Whole Loans or related matters can attest those tend to error on the side of content, well at the least lots of words, hopefully the content is some what relative. Anyway, I enjoy the mature and technical conversation that has emerged here on BP around Mortgage/Deed of Trust/Note investing. There is a sense of community here that has taken hold with this topic that is often times not well understood but more and more desirable to know about. Gratitude to the BP powers to provide such a platform.

The nice thing about the boards is the varying experience levels. There tends to be a general tolerance for the genre of the Note Guru. Some of our members have been to class, taken courses, bought books and all the other sorts of stuff that goes with the Guru back alley. Other members have worked with the asset class in a variety of different perspectives. Within the ranks of the boards we literally, beyond a shadow of a doubt, cover the entire array pretty darn well from zero experience to the highly experienced.

There is an ever present persistence of new or interested folks coming to the boards looking for information on the asset class. That also includes folks coming to the boards in search of background on teaching or training programs that are out in the public. We can also note, the astonishment that seemingly prevails when the general discovery occurs that there is no great training or single course or book to read to understand it all or take it all in. In most cases, I am not even sure there is a course that even gives you a good glimpse.

As such, there is often a reverence for these guru programs. Let me pause there for a moment, from now on the training, the books, the seminars, the mentoring from all, literally ALL OF IT, it's embodied in my use of the word "guru". For the sake of this conversation/discussion I will exclude none.  Continuing, there is also a collective of experience, first hand and knowledgeable in depth of this asset class. It is quite often, that when the topic of these guru things come up in any fashion there seems to be those who openly support them, then those who don't mind them and then those of us who really don't care for them. I often feel that the group of us who don't care for them is the smaller group when speaking on the boards. I don't want to include folks who don't want to be included but I am pretty sure those that know us can figure out where @Bill Gulley  and I stand on these matters.

I have brought up the idea before that often times I can imagine that some posts tend to come across as negatively toned. I am aware of it, whether it is a real issue or not, it is considered in the delivery of posts as best it can. Often times though, as I have said and think Bill has agreed, it is difficult to be the bearer of what is usually bad news and have it sound like rainbows, clowns and flowers. (I have no idea what those really sound like anyway) Not that the outcome is bad, but rather the information or train of thought is incorrect. The quickest path to correct thinking is usually a bit of a jolt. Let us also be honest, the boards are to some extent, limited in expression through the text content.

So, now that I have set the stage with the closest thing that I will give to an apology in advance, it's time to start taking the kid gloves off when it comes to these guru programs. I tend to pull punches for the sake of not pissing folks off. I am no longer interested in that. My formal opinion is clearly formed and frankly the rainbows are gone, the flowers are dead and the clowns are not funny. I have no intention of being a guru expert. I will not obligate myself to know all of their details or what they talk about anymore than what I have heard and seen. I don't need to. There is nothing there for me. There is probably less there for the newbie than we have been giving credit. For that, I am sorry. Many people have been feed a pile of crap.

As some could imagine I have interactions with folks off the boards. This includes some working relations and some informational relationships. Along with things in between. I have spent time with folks who have inserted themselves into these guru programs in one way or another. I have seen horrible trading practices. I have seen ridiculous pricing and value ideas that serve only the guru. I have heard of the silly sums of money that folks are paying for this HORRIBLE information. People, all of you seeking these things - STOP. Your interests are not at the forefront.

A couple of recent interactions on top of the stack that have taken place over the last several months has finally aggravated me to the point where I am willing to draw a line in sand and point to these gross abuses. There are two ways this can likely be received. One, a bashing, likely a much needed one, of the guru. The other, the real point because frankly the guru doesn't matter, is YOU. The ONLY ONE who makes it all happen. The guru's snake oil is only a commodity so far as you let it be.

In the couple of examples I am going to share, I suspect some of the folks I have interacted with will relate to the examples. The irony for those of you with whom we have interacted, you are not alone. That is the disheartening part.

1) The Training Seminar

So you went to the training. Some person gets up, tells you how experienced they are. Starts talking how buying makes you the bank. How easy the money is. Even how quickly you can make it. Conveniently, they have some loans for you. They need you to believe this is easy. They need you to believe you can make lots of easy money. They want you to believe in the outcome that these investments they peddle will workout for you.

The second lien craze specifically targets investors with little capital. The allure is you can get into whole loan investing for less than $20k. Many times, even less than that. It seems the general stupid idea spread at these second lien investment seminars is buy more than one and increase your odds of success. Stop doing this. Its dumb. It doesn't work. It is not investing. It is gambling. Whoever told you this is an idiot.

Yes, large capital firms can play the odds game. Why?, they are large capital firms. They have lots of money. You, likely are not a large capital firm. Why on this earth would you be willing to part with money knowing it may not come back under the 'hope' that the odds work in your favor?

They told you to buy more than one, "just in case". I really can't bash that idea enough. What you need to learn is how to Buy One Right. That is the point of investing. Let's start there. It smells of common sense.

That doesn't fit the narrative or ultimate desired outcome. They can't and don't teach you how to critically think about the loan. How it will workout and what capital demands will be present. Even further, and perhaps a little grosser, is the lack of sharing the requirement that you will need to advance additional capital when playing with distressed loans. That doesn't fit their narrative. If you show up with $15k, they will sell you $15k worth of loans. Will you have reserves to advance to protect your interests? If not, then what are you going to do when they are needed?

2) Loan Workouts

There is an underlying notion that majority of loans that YOU purchase will be able to be worked out. That, you possess the skills and determination needed to find the borrower and solve the issues of delinquency or default. Reinstating the loan and spreading joy and happiness to the land.

Stop the nonsense.

Fact of the matter is, most defaulted loans end up in foreclosure. Not reinstatement. Most reinstated loans end up in foreclosure not perpetual happiness of cash flow bliss. Less than 7% of all defaulted loans end up with a deed in lieu. Yes, we all strive for the early exits. The reality is, it does not come around all that often.

One of the other more interesting ideas, is just what do you think you can do for someone who can not afford to make payment? Are you going to make it for them? Are you going permanently forgive it? So, you don't want your money back? You are not in this for return? It is cool if that is ultimate plan, just satisfy the loan when you buy and go have libation.  If not, let's not confuse what this is.  Investing to make a return.  

They need you to believe you can do better than the industry. They need you to believe that you can save loans that have been devalued in the secondary so they can capitalize on selling that loan. They need you to do it because more experienced folks, the ones who make up the rest of the industry, do not do it. Please pause and ask yourself why we don't. I do not do it because I don't hate capital. I like it around. I burn logs at campfires not cash.

Stop buying into this idea that you are going figure out the best practice to resolve the loan at its highest value. Just a little reality check, they didn't even teach you how to value it. So how on earth are you going to resolve for the highest? Did they teach how to approach a workout, I mean really? What are the pitfalls? Can you make a bad situation worse? Can you devalue the asset by your actions?

Reality, yes. You can make them worse. Often times, that seems to be happening. That crazy thing some of us remind you of, you don't know what you don't yet, actually takes large chucks of flesh from your backside.

3) Due Diligence

Look, to presume due diligence is something so simple as just getting some reports is way off base. The problem anyone has with teaching due diligence is it is relative to a file. There is a notion that it is more of a universal set of reports and actions and at the end it all works out. That is not how it goes. Every file is snowflake. Properties are not the same. Borrowers are not the same. Paperwork is not the same. As such, the file issues are not the same. The universal application of due diligence is merely the words due diligence. That's it.

If you stop and think about it and if you are a frequent reader of the boards, the irony of this is Due Diligence specific threads are actually the minority here. Frankly they should be the majority. That is not because everyone is getting it right.  Due diligence is this thing that seems to be glossed over, yet the reality is that it is a cavern that has not bottom. It seems that a large contributor to this is the notion of what is being sold from the guru to the buyer. "It's already all good". Sure Bud. Not so much. They are selling you defects for premiums.  

This is aside from the gross practice of putting the buyer on a fire drill. Limited access to proper documents. Forcing quick reviews. The ultimate creation of a false scarcity. Drives demand. Drives price. It is all part of the same scheme. It often baffles me that gurus get away with this. You are the one who lets them.

People - take your damn time. Do it. Do it thoroughly. Make sure its all there. Then give them your money and close.

If something is missing ask for it. Do not close until you get it. If they can't produce it, walk away.

DO NOT BUY THEIR PROBLEM.  Certainly not for premium.

Know they are trying to sell you their problem and likely for more than it is actually worth.

If that was not the game, they would not be selling their loan, they would working it out themselves.  That's not an under the belt strike, its just the reality.  

If you need it, find someone who definitely has more experience and knowledge than you. Let me point, that likely is not the guy sitting next to you in the seminar.

Your technical question is more than welcome here.  Do not be embarrassed.  We have all bought bad loans.  We have all made mistakes.  Those are what has taught us.  Yet, these mistakes are not talked enough.  You, do not think they are romantic.  So the guru has put a spell on you with his oil.  

4) Sacred Education & Training

I really have no love loss for the idea of training. Its grown to be a bit of an annoying idea. Let's be honest, you don't want training. Training takes time. Training takes practice. Training is not all about high profile cool sounding ideas. This is not the guru, this is really you. It has taken me 15 years plus and working in and around every aspect of this industry to know what I know. You want that to be condensed into hours if not less. Paragraphs instead pages and books.  Stop the madness. There is no shortcut. Experience and time and tenure are going to be your best training. The notion that you can pick up book and know it all or attend a 5 hour seminar and become some experienced expert is just plain silly.

I understand you want and need to start somewhere. There is no great place to define as an entry. You need to learn topics. Entire topics. What is title. How does title work. What is a mortgage. What is a note. What are my states foreclosure laws. What is bankruptcy. Common man, some of this stuff you can actually Google.

If you are not a go getter enough to create a bit of a syllabus for yourself, those of us with the experience and an interest in seeing you understand topics correctly don't know where to start with you either. The universe of loans is huge. Coming here and asking the general question what do I need to know about what investing in notes is really just an exercise in futility. If you made it all the way here and you don't have a more specific question then you are doing yourself a decent sized disservice.

That is the door the guru walks through. You invited them in. What is this loan investing all about?

It is about prime loans, sub prime loans, residential loans, commercial loans, loans with recourse, loans with no recourse, loans in bankruptcy, loans in foreclosure, loans in forbearance, performing loans, sub performing loans, re performing loans, non performing loans, defective loans, conventional loans, first liens, second liens, closed end, open end....you get the idea. How are we supposed figure out which of those spark your interest? You have to tell us that or ask about them.

I honestly don't know where you should start. I know I started by reading a note and mortgage. Literally. It was relative to my experience at the time. I had none. I did not know what those things were. So I read them. The voyage began then.

When you don't take a personal interest for a tad more self induced workload, you invite others to tell you your passion. That will control your curiosity and then they will control you content. Once the content gets limited, it only serves their narrative. Not yours.

I am honestly open to help make that better however I can. I am not sure how.  I have no plans to write book, I already write these thesis on here for public consumption. So those with the interest to learn, feel free to help us help you. Ask all you want. Gives us ideas of topics to explore. Let your curiously drive the conversation. However, get us past these broad non-specific inquires. I think that is a fair trade to request.

5) Common Sense & Open Your Eyes

A large portion of this guru game is solely dependent upon you being a bit lazy and ignoring the world at large. The vastness of this market is huge in concept, units, dollars and agents. Capital in the world is not cavalier. It is sacred. It is to be protected. The general idea is to grow it and yet realize it doesn't grow on trees. Any plan, idea or path that does not take a preservation approach to investing in this asset class is wrong.

If it looks like a gamble, it probably is a gamble. Let's not call it investing. The Seller wants a higher price because of the possibility the Borrower should give you a DIL or reinstate or whatever. Great, pay a high price if that's done. If it's not done. It's not done. Which means there is chance it doesn't happen. Which means it's not worth the high price which is based on that characteristic being present. To say that a different way, you pay for the deed not the chance to get it. You pay for the current cash flow, not the future potential of it maybe coming.

You, you need to be more honest with yourself. You actually do know what makes sense. If something does not make sense. Then do not do it. Trust common sense. Always. That is the real reason I always like to say, there is no magic in mortgages. You see, the things that happen, how and why, they are all make-sense-things. Its only when we let the magic in that our judgement gets clouded. When common sense does not prevail, capital loss tends to follow.

If a loan has not been collected on since 1995, why on earth would you think "now is the time"? Common, you are better than that.

Let's be honest, you want the illusion of quick and large sums of money. Well, let me tell you. You can have the illusion. The problem is, that is all it is. An illusion.

You are smart enough to realize that the one example or two examples the guru gives you of huge easy gains are just that two. Where are the others? There are not any. Stop thinking you are going jump in this game and make these large windfalls. It just not going to go that way for you. Google statistics.  Look at the rest of market. 

Can you make money in this asset class? Yes, of course. Good money; because money you make is always good money. Is it quick? No. Is it easy? No. Frankly, nor should you want it to be.  

Owning a loan, is owning a loan.  You buy, you collect the payments.  It is a contract.  Its not magic.  

It is one way to make a return which is always relative to other market returns of other asset classes. If they have sold you on the quick and easy dream, you will not take the conservative and practical approach to value.  So whose interest do you operate in then?

We have a nation that was brought to its knees, a world that was severely harmed when a bunch of loans went bad. It is literally one of the largest negative capital events the world and our nation has ever seen. Stop ignoring that. Don't gloss over the fact that it can go wrong, way wrong. When it does, it rains big red numbers. Not profits.

When your expectations are managed, you are your best guardian. Nobody is going to care more about your money than you. Nobody.

I share all of this with the masses in a little frustration. Let me be clear, I am no fan of a guru. Including all of the ones talked about here on the boards.  I am no fan of an investor program which doesn't play fair. Which doesn't afford the same standard practices that an experienced loan investor would demand. If the plan is to buy crappy loans and turn around and sell them to less than suitable investors, then great go for it. That is not the guru's fault. It is the audience. You are sort letting it all happen.  I am to some extent shocked outrage does not seep from the walls.  

There is no secret stash of good loans that anyone has access to. There is no secret to mortgage investing known to one and not others. There is nothing one investor can do that the next can not. The point of making or investing in a loan is to be paid back. Invest for the return. Make sure you understand where and how it comes.  That will help you enjoy the asset class. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. If it looks like it is risk-less, it is packed with risk. If any of the plan involves just throwing money away, it is not investing.

It annoys me to see these practices to no end. It saddens me more common sense is not prevailing. We can do a better job. It doesn't start with the experienced folks. It starts with the lesser and no experienced folks. Banish the magic. Do not settle for things that do not make sense. Force yourself to think critically. Invest because you have a plan. Do not invest if it is based on hope. Numbers are not guesses, they should come from calculations. When in doubt, open your eyes and look around, mortgages are literally everywhere. They are not new, they date back to biblical times.

Those of us with experience want to help as best we can. This is not a job taken on but a passion we care about. I don't like the things I have seen from the guru.  I don't like the things I have heard from the guru.  I can not give any recommendation for any guru program or training or book or whatever that has been talked about on these boards.  I am of the final opinion, none of them have your interests at heart.  That is also OK.  We need to stop pretending that for some reason, they should.  You are the only who will ever care the most about your capital.  You are the only solider in your own fight.   

Believe it or not after this tirade, we are rooting for you.  A community of note investors is good thing.  A community of magic and snake oil is best left for the movies.  Banish the magic.
   

20Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y

@Dion DePaoli 

Great post, bet it felt good, LOL

Off and on, for over two years, I have been trying to write a book on notes for small investors. In all honesty, it's an impossibility to do justice to topic in "A" book, it can't be done. I'm not the type to approach some task and come to that conclusion, but I have in this matter.

It's not the issue of the vast amount of information about notes and security interests so much as it is with related areas of finance, then to legal compliance with 50 different states and sets of federal laws that are anchored in various agencies, from the Department of Agriculture to the SEC, regulatory issues from a dozen different angles.

Then, assume that the note industry could be consolidated into, say 6 volumes that would contain about 2,400 pages (and that is consolidated!) now you have the issue of making it readable and understood by the average person. The "average" person? Who is the "average" person having a desire to make a lot of money.

I'm reminded of the old analogy to high school students, their grades and where they end up professionally. "A" students teach, "B" students work in government, "C" students make the money, "D" students work for the "C" students and "F" students dig the ditches. This more true than not. There are few exceptions. The grades reflect more than intelligence, high school grades reflect personality as by high school personalities are formed.

Thankfully, that is not entirely true, "A" students go into medicine and science, business and all aspects of our economy, so do "B" students and "C" students. "D" and "F" students attempt to do the same but success is extremely limited in technical areas, they lack the foundation required to learn and advance in technical areas. Just fact!

I'm not an English major, but I see many posters who murder grammar and language (not speaking of our foreign language members) but that is an indication of the level of education and abilities they posses. They probably lack math skills as well as other core curriculum subjects needed in business. Being uneducated doesn't mean stupidity, it just means uneducated. (This site is not really an education site, it is a social interaction between those with common interests, what might be "learned" is not a formal, accredited or legitimate education, what the forums and blogs offer are simply opinions.)

Not competing to the length of Dion's post, I'll get to the point. Many here lack a general education, the tools required to really advance in small real estate business subjects, much less finance.

When I was in college, students would ask others what they were majoring in, those in the business majors would open their eyes real big and look at the finance majors when they answered "finance". They were viewed as being the smart kids, it is perceived by business majors as the most difficult major in the business colleges. That perception holds its own to engineering or any other major offered at an undergraduate level. What I can tell you is that you can make any subject difficult, but you can't make just any subject easy.

I don't think "finance" is really that difficult, I have no base line to judge the degree of difficulty. I can't say that Agricultural Economics isn't more difficult, it could be, I can say at the same level of study, it is much more difficult than real estate.

I'm not bragging, I was not cut out to be a surgeon or a physicist, a biology engineer, even an engineer or other technical profession. I landed in finance by default, one thing led to another as I matured and learned, building my knowledge one brick at a time. Okay, I was blessed with above average intelligence, but it took years to acquire my knowledge. Frankly, I'd say that dealing in notes can be successfully done by anyone with average intelligence and common sense, but such a person will not learn what they need to know in a year, much less a month and certainly not from self study in any book.

Given that, you tell me, how do you write a book or series of books on notes that would teach a vast amount of basic information, inform about legal aspects, teach collection and management practices at an elementary level that would be clear to someone who lacks understandings of general business concepts or requirements? 2/3s of the folks that jump in on this site saying they want to get into notes I'm pretty sure fall in this category. How would or could one teach aspects of notes in that setting?

I despise note gurus because they sell false hope to those who don't have a clue about real estate or even general business, to the naïve and they do so with such a cavalier attitude and approach, as Dion pointed out. The real estate gurus do the same, they don't teach real estate, they sell marketing ploys dealing in real estate.

Financing is not real estate, IMO, note discussions shouldn't even be on a real estate site, but I understand why it is from a site management aspect. Notes are to real property as cars are to airplanes. Cars and airplanes both have engines, electrical systems, wheels and they transport people and things. It would be pretty hard to understand planes without having a good understanding of the principles that make a car move.

Yet, we have those wanting to be jet fighter pilots who can't drive a car yet.

Thanks again to the gurus who sold you such ideas.

Now, besides the newbies, I'll address the more mature who have been successful in other business ventures, those who have made some money. While they may have been dealing in any profession, I'll just pick one. So, you're an engineer and you want to buy notes or be a lender because you have the funds to do so. I know, those of use who have been successful can be arrogant, you're intelligent, your self esteem has no bounds, one reason you were successful.

So, let me ask you, if this were an engineering site and I popped up, having been successful in finance and lending and then proclaimed that I wanted to begin designing airplanes, that since I had enough money to build one that I just wanted the you to tell me what I needed to do. How hard would you be laughing? Do you see my naïve arrogance, my uniformed assumptions, my disregard to your professional career implying that I can do this because I have the net worth. Talk about naïve, this bunch takes the cake over those who are just starting off in business. My suggestion is for you to "buy" an expert and let them teach you and perform the requirements to protect you and your money. Greed and ego will get you in trouble.

Dion touched on the gurus and brokers pushing the note business, his frustrations are mine as well. He is absolutely correct that those who fail to recognize that notes are a finance function, not real estate, that it is a highly regulated area requiring expertise that is not easily taught and that these players are taking you for a ride. It is out of your greed, your desperation, your disregard of reality that you bite on what these low life's push.   They teach you how to gamble with them, they take your money and leave you high and dry if things go wrong.

I think a much better approach for those interested in notes would be to find an honest broker, that's probably not easy. The fact that you don't read posts about some broker selling someone junk is not an indication that they are a good broker, it can be an indication that they are a good salesman, that they may convince you that if your note went south, it was due to your inabilities or error, not theirs. They may offer some warranty or guarantee to limit your loss, consider that such are probably tied to a portfolio to replace your note, it's probably weighted in their favor, it may be a good cover to use to limit their liability to appease an investor when things do go wrong.

Such warranty may be better than nothing, but what would be better is for them to teach the due diligence on each file, give full and total disclosure, allow contact with a borrower when appropriate (to you and the borrower, not for them). As Dion mentioned, access to information is very limited, it appears to be an industry norm by brokers and it is not allowing a buyer to actually perform the due diligence that many files require, especially in non-performing notes.

Don't think for a second that some law exists that prevents a note buyer from speaking to a borrower, done properly, a buyer has a legitimate business interest in that obligation and has every right to speak to a borrower or note holder, aside from bankruptcy matters. So, those that don't allow contact are doing so to protect their position to control the disposition of the note. I'd say if they can't be open and honest at least before the funds are exchanged, then don't deal with them.

What isn't rocket science is how to find notes. One could find a note and then obtain expert assistance and pay for the advice given. At least you'd know what your broker or advisor was making.

What isn't rocket science is taking your bucket of money into a broker to set up a loan with a borrower you might introduce. Pay for the service.

I've never been in any bank examination where that bank was in full compliance in every aspect of their operation. Most issues are minor, seldom is there a big issue. Not getting into the predatory banker types, but there is a big difference between an insured, registered, examined institution and some guy with pockets lending in an alley. The same infraction by an institution may not have the same impact on the public as there is with an individual dealing out of compliance. I'll bet my last dollar that anyone who searches for borrowers and loans money will not be in compliance, regardless of how many attorneys they use. I can guarantee that the engineer guy I spoke about making real estate  loans who has not registered in any way will not be in compliance unless they are making loans to family members. There is always some little issue that is not in good practice, such things can lead to objections by a good attorney and the slightest issues can balloon to set aside a loan for a total loss. A bit of "Seller beware".

Last point, like Dion, I hit my line in the sand long ago. I enjoy helping others, teaching, informing and trying to advance qualified persons in real estate finance. I don't respond to that newbie post "How do I buy notes", what I usually end up doing is having to play cop to bad and illegal advice given by those who claim or project expertise in public forums. I honestly can't get into more creative financing, designing notes for special purposes or anything of a more advanced area due to all the constant slapping down bad ideas.

We get some Realtor or investor type that's been around for 20 years and they jump on the forums, or write blogs, putting out what they did in the past and carrying on as if they have financing expertise. That's just the down side to public access. Not only do they lack the proper experience, things change, real estate financing has had huge changes recently.

We have had RMLOs jump on BP trying to give creative financing advice and methods and they are wrong. An RMLO in some states could have been selling fishing tackle or cars 6 months ago, took a twenty hour class, got a job at a mortgage broker's office or bank and then start drumming up business in areas they don't have a clue about. Understand that from a legal stand point, the law requires an RMLO to originate certain loans, that doesn't mean that RMLO has any expertise beyond origination functions of residential, secondary market loans, they may have expertise, most likely not, especially in non-conforming lending areas. A RMLO is not an underwriter, but an underwriter will generally be an RMLO.

Well, there is my rant for the day. I think I', going to make a note of this thread title and direct those interested in RE finance aspects here first. If I had a site it would be a stickey thread. Not everyone is cut out to be in finance, it can be learned but not easily and not in short order. No book exists nor will one ever exist that can teach financing matters to just anyone or even talented business folks. The world is full of crooks and predators, many are on internet sites, unethical and unknowing types give advice and seek to do business with those seeking advice. Use some common sense and have a little more respect for the financial arena, it's highly regulated and can be very involved, so don't be so naïve that for some reason you are exceptional and can master the profession in a month. I'm still learning every day and don't know it all. Hope this post is taken well enough, not trying to be condescending or insulting, but gosh, reality is reality. I hope people do get into financing, it is very lucrative when you really know what you're doing.

Any time there is an opportunity to make a lot of money in something, there will be a higher barrier to entry, if there weren't then everyone would be doing it, if that were the case then there wouldn't be a lot of money to be made. What the gurus don't want you to know! :)   

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Dion DePaoli Great write up.

    Now tell us how you really feel ( :

    Oh, and soda? Could have eaten a 3 course meal.

    I went to numerous seminars just to see what brand of snake oil they were selling and every time I got one on one with pointed questions, the "Gurus" turned into clams.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Groveland, FL · Member since 2012 · 504 posts · 395 votes
    11y

    And YOU TOO can make lots of money fast, no experience, no money. Just be a wholesaler. Anyone can do it! Get rich quick! Don't wait. Sign up now!

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Joseph Ball dont forget the you dont need any cash to do it so why dont you give it all to us so we can show you how to get rich, oh wait they did just be a guru,lol

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Dion DePaoli Thanks for the great post so now how do you really feel about the GURU, lol. Couldn't agree more, well written thanks for taking the time to write (and rant)

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Great stuff Dion, thanks for the very "well grounded" perspective. You are a gem.

    Bob

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    @Dion DePaoli 

    Great post, bet it felt good, LOL

    Off and on, for over two years, I have been trying to write a book on notes for small investors. In all honesty, it's an impossibility to do justice to topic in "A" book, it can't be done. I'm not the type to approach some task and come to that conclusion, but I have in this matter.

    It's not the issue of the vast amount of information about notes and security interests so much as it is with related areas of finance, then to legal compliance with 50 different states and sets of federal laws that are anchored in various agencies, from the Department of Agriculture to the SEC, regulatory issues from a dozen different angles.

    Then, assume that the note industry could be consolidated into, say 6 volumes that would contain about 2,400 pages (and that is consolidated!) now you have the issue of making it readable and understood by the average person. The "average" person? Who is the "average" person having a desire to make a lot of money.

    I'm reminded of the old analogy to high school students, their grades and where they end up professionally. "A" students teach, "B" students work in government, "C" students make the money, "D" students work for the "C" students and "F" students dig the ditches. This more true than not. There are few exceptions. The grades reflect more than intelligence, high school grades reflect personality as by high school personalities are formed.

    Thankfully, that is not entirely true, "A" students go into medicine and science, business and all aspects of our economy, so do "B" students and "C" students. "D" and "F" students attempt to do the same but success is extremely limited in technical areas, they lack the foundation required to learn and advance in technical areas. Just fact!

    I'm not an English major, but I see many posters who murder grammar and language (not speaking of our foreign language members) but that is an indication of the level of education and abilities they posses. They probably lack math skills as well as other core curriculum subjects needed in business. Being uneducated doesn't mean stupidity, it just means uneducated. (This site is not really an education site, it is a social interaction between those with common interests, what might be "learned" is not a formal, accredited or legitimate education, what the forums and blogs offer are simply opinions.)

    Not competing to the length of Dion's post, I'll get to the point. Many here lack a general education, the tools required to really advance in small real estate business subjects, much less finance.

    When I was in college, students would ask others what they were majoring in, those in the business majors would open their eyes real big and look at the finance majors when they answered "finance". They were viewed as being the smart kids, it is perceived by business majors as the most difficult major in the business colleges. That perception holds its own to engineering or any other major offered at an undergraduate level. What I can tell you is that you can make any subject difficult, but you can't make just any subject easy.

    I don't think "finance" is really that difficult, I have no base line to judge the degree of difficulty. I can't say that Agricultural Economics isn't more difficult, it could be, I can say at the same level of study, it is much more difficult than real estate.

    I'm not bragging, I was not cut out to be a surgeon or a physicist, a biology engineer, even an engineer or other technical profession. I landed in finance by default, one thing led to another as I matured and learned, building my knowledge one brick at a time. Okay, I was blessed with above average intelligence, but it took years to acquire my knowledge. Frankly, I'd say that dealing in notes can be successfully done by anyone with average intelligence and common sense, but such a person will not learn what they need to know in a year, much less a month and certainly not from self study in any book.

    Given that, you tell me, how do you write a book or series of books on notes that would teach a vast amount of basic information, inform about legal aspects, teach collection and management practices at an elementary level that would be clear to someone who lacks understandings of general business concepts or requirements? 2/3s of the folks that jump in on this site saying they want to get into notes I'm pretty sure fall in this category. How would or could one teach aspects of notes in that setting?

    I despise note gurus because they sell false hope to those who don't have a clue about real estate or even general business, to the naïve and they do so with such a cavalier attitude and approach, as Dion pointed out. The real estate gurus do the same, they don't teach real estate, they sell marketing ploys dealing in real estate.

    Financing is not real estate, IMO, note discussions shouldn't even be on a real estate site, but I understand why it is from a site management aspect. Notes are to real property as cars are to airplanes. Cars and airplanes both have engines, electrical systems, wheels and they transport people and things. It would be pretty hard to understand planes without having a good understanding of the principles that make a car move.

    Yet, we have those wanting to be jet fighter pilots who can't drive a car yet.

    Thanks again to the gurus who sold you such ideas.

    Now, besides the newbies, I'll address the more mature who have been successful in other business ventures, those who have made some money. While they may have been dealing in any profession, I'll just pick one. So, you're an engineer and you want to buy notes or be a lender because you have the funds to do so. I know, those of use who have been successful can be arrogant, you're intelligent, your self esteem has no bounds, one reason you were successful.

    So, let me ask you, if this were an engineering site and I popped up, having been successful in finance and lending and then proclaimed that I wanted to begin designing airplanes, that since I had enough money to build one that I just wanted the you to tell me what I needed to do. How hard would you be laughing? Do you see my naïve arrogance, my uniformed assumptions, my disregard to your professional career implying that I can do this because I have the net worth. Talk about naïve, this bunch takes the cake over those who are just starting off in business. My suggestion is for you to "buy" an expert and let them teach you and perform the requirements to protect you and your money. Greed and ego will get you in trouble.

    Dion touched on the gurus and brokers pushing the note business, his frustrations are mine as well. He is absolutely correct that those who fail to recognize that notes are a finance function, not real estate, that it is a highly regulated area requiring expertise that is not easily taught and that these players are taking you for a ride. It is out of your greed, your desperation, your disregard of reality that you bite on what these low life's push.   They teach you how to gamble with them, they take your money and leave you high and dry if things go wrong.

    I think a much better approach for those interested in notes would be to find an honest broker, that's probably not easy. The fact that you don't read posts about some broker selling someone junk is not an indication that they are a good broker, it can be an indication that they are a good salesman, that they may convince you that if your note went south, it was due to your inabilities or error, not theirs. They may offer some warranty or guarantee to limit your loss, consider that such are probably tied to a portfolio to replace your note, it's probably weighted in their favor, it may be a good cover to use to limit their liability to appease an investor when things do go wrong.

    Such warranty may be better than nothing, but what would be better is for them to teach the due diligence on each file, give full and total disclosure, allow contact with a borrower when appropriate (to you and the borrower, not for them). As Dion mentioned, access to information is very limited, it appears to be an industry norm by brokers and it is not allowing a buyer to actually perform the due diligence that many files require, especially in non-performing notes.

    Don't think for a second that some law exists that prevents a note buyer from speaking to a borrower, done properly, a buyer has a legitimate business interest in that obligation and has every right to speak to a borrower or note holder, aside from bankruptcy matters. So, those that don't allow contact are doing so to protect their position to control the disposition of the note. I'd say if they can't be open and honest at least before the funds are exchanged, then don't deal with them.

    What isn't rocket science is how to find notes. One could find a note and then obtain expert assistance and pay for the advice given. At least you'd know what your broker or advisor was making.

    What isn't rocket science is taking your bucket of money into a broker to set up a loan with a borrower you might introduce. Pay for the service.

    I've never been in any bank examination where that bank was in full compliance in every aspect of their operation. Most issues are minor, seldom is there a big issue. Not getting into the predatory banker types, but there is a big difference between an insured, registered, examined institution and some guy with pockets lending in an alley. The same infraction by an institution may not have the same impact on the public as there is with an individual dealing out of compliance. I'll bet my last dollar that anyone who searches for borrowers and loans money will not be in compliance, regardless of how many attorneys they use. I can guarantee that the engineer guy I spoke about making real estate  loans who has not registered in any way will not be in compliance unless they are making loans to family members. There is always some little issue that is not in good practice, such things can lead to objections by a good attorney and the slightest issues can balloon to set aside a loan for a total loss. A bit of "Seller beware".

    Last point, like Dion, I hit my line in the sand long ago. I enjoy helping others, teaching, informing and trying to advance qualified persons in real estate finance. I don't respond to that newbie post "How do I buy notes", what I usually end up doing is having to play cop to bad and illegal advice given by those who claim or project expertise in public forums. I honestly can't get into more creative financing, designing notes for special purposes or anything of a more advanced area due to all the constant slapping down bad ideas.

    We get some Realtor or investor type that's been around for 20 years and they jump on the forums, or write blogs, putting out what they did in the past and carrying on as if they have financing expertise. That's just the down side to public access. Not only do they lack the proper experience, things change, real estate financing has had huge changes recently.

    We have had RMLOs jump on BP trying to give creative financing advice and methods and they are wrong. An RMLO in some states could have been selling fishing tackle or cars 6 months ago, took a twenty hour class, got a job at a mortgage broker's office or bank and then start drumming up business in areas they don't have a clue about. Understand that from a legal stand point, the law requires an RMLO to originate certain loans, that doesn't mean that RMLO has any expertise beyond origination functions of residential, secondary market loans, they may have expertise, most likely not, especially in non-conforming lending areas. A RMLO is not an underwriter, but an underwriter will generally be an RMLO.

    Well, there is my rant for the day. I think I', going to make a note of this thread title and direct those interested in RE finance aspects here first. If I had a site it would be a stickey thread. Not everyone is cut out to be in finance, it can be learned but not easily and not in short order. No book exists nor will one ever exist that can teach financing matters to just anyone or even talented business folks. The world is full of crooks and predators, many are on internet sites, unethical and unknowing types give advice and seek to do business with those seeking advice. Use some common sense and have a little more respect for the financial arena, it's highly regulated and can be very involved, so don't be so naïve that for some reason you are exceptional and can master the profession in a month. I'm still learning every day and don't know it all. Hope this post is taken well enough, not trying to be condescending or insulting, but gosh, reality is reality. I hope people do get into financing, it is very lucrative when you really know what you're doing.

    Any time there is an opportunity to make a lot of money in something, there will be a higher barrier to entry, if there weren't then everyone would be doing it, if that were the case then there wouldn't be a lot of money to be made. What the gurus don't want you to know! :)   

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Bill Gulley that was simply a brilliant entry.

    (I still win most words though)

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    For those readers who like to follow along at home.  I guess this thread made a baby in anther forum.  Since I believe them to be directly related I am going to post the link to thread here.  2nd NPN Risk Mitigation

    As it turns out, it's a wonderful and fun filled story of loans, cookies, ice cream, cobras and science fiction.  

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Man, I could go on a similar rant about what I call the FAKE and REAL worlds of real estate investing in general.  Hint: Gurus sells a FAKE world - sounds easy but unfortunately the world doesn't actually work the way they teach. This is our moto when it comes to REI education:

    That said, we need to be careful not lump every person or business that offers "training" or "education" into one big "GURU" category.  I think that's a simplistic approach that results in you dumping on some really good people - like a lot of the coaches I know.  That's what I think people need more than a weekend seminar - they need a mentor and coach that can help them thru the early stages.  So, let's all have some fun with the anti-guru talk, but realize that it's a huge generalization and we need to be careful not to crap on great people who are out there trying to offer a valuable service to people that WANT that.  Maybe you didn't want that, I didn't either, but many smart people - not just the sheeple - seek out quality education or mentoring/coaching to up their game.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Ok,  I will buck the trend here.  I bought the Guru package and don't regret it a bit.  We had money to invest and I don't recall hearing a lot of talk about taking on note investing without having any cash, sure there was some sizzle in the presentation, but overall I thought it was honest.

    Without this program I would either 1)  be doing nothing in the note business, still trying to figure out where to start, or 2) I would have bought some total garbage and lost far more then my fee.  We have one loan workout already and we could sell for a decent profit or hold it as a rental, so far we are holding it and expect a 25% annual return after expenses (19k investment / 9.3 k in gross rent). We have another 9 properties in the pipeline and all but 2 look like winners. Of the losers I think they are small loss (<2k each) or if we decide to slug it out they will return 15% but with more effort then we want to put into them. Our property in Milwaukee we paid 12.1k for, will rent for 900-1000 a month we could probably sell it for 40k but want to cash flow it for a while. We picked this up as an REO through contacts we made through our "Guru".

    Our $15,000 fee will be recovered in less then 12 months.

    I appreciate all of the knowledge and wisdom that the BP experts share but just don't think I could have gotten enough off the site to get started in this business.  I think that you guys  that have been doing this for 20, 30+ years forget what the first year was like in terms of just learning what you don't know / need to learn.

    I am sure there are bad operators out there and I am glad that I have been able to hook up with a a group that I consider reputable.  

    Of our 9 properties 2 were REO (including the Milwaukee mentioned above), of the remaining 7 we have gotten 1 DIL already and have another we hope to get in a few weeks so that is a 29% "hit rate".

    For all the talk about that bad guru's I just don't see how someone can get started in this business without some hand holding. Maybe if you are a HML or banker you would have the background, but for most of us it is not that easy.

  • Real Estate Lender · Pt Hueneme, CA · Member since 2012 · 110 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    @Bill GulleyNow, besides the newbies, I'll address the more mature who have been successful in other business ventures, those who have made some money. While they may have been dealing in any profession, I'll just pick one. So, you're an engineer and you want to buy notes or be a lender because you have the funds to do so. I know, those of use who have been successful can be arrogant, you're intelligent, your self esteem has no bounds, one reason you were successful."

    This is probably descriptive of myself, so let me defend these guys for just a second. Since we have had life and business experiences it makes sense to grow our knowledge base. This does not mean we would fall for get rich quick schemes or other shiny objects. However, when presented with an idea, or thought, or example that sounds interesting it would make sense to investigate, weigh the risks, and explore the challenges. So with that thought in mind we could use any number of examples in any field of trade, but the bottom line is the same, does the risk involved in an investment make the reward worth it? I for one have been exploring real estate for some time, and has discovered I do not want to be a landlord, it was not for me. But I like the idea of an investment secured by real property, which naturally lead me, and probably others like me, to look at notes.

    So, for me, I want to know how something works and if I should move forward with the idea or not. I am pretty sure with the proper tools and manual I could rebuild a transmission in my car, but the risk of making a mistake far outweighs the rewards, so use a professional mechanic, get a warranty and be secure knowing you made a good decision.

    My point is, we are not all trying to fly the jet, but do want to ride if its safe and makes sense. So keep teaching, and sharing, it helps us, but don't rain to hard on the parade, and remember that most everyone who wants to learn something these days has to "google" the topic, thats how the Guru's set the hook. And Dion, the cookies analogy ROCKED!

    Ok, that was my rant, and if You do write that book I will buy it, then you can explain it to me. I was also going to write a book too and title it "Humility and how I achieved it". ( I stole that, not sure who to credit ).

    Keep up the teaching please, I for one benefit.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Dev Horn props to your graphics department there.  

    In seriousness, I think you draw a needed distinction that is not absent of any of the other posts. Largely more present in Bill's post than in mine. I suppose I was merely interested working with a shotgun not a scalpel.

    So the point is, not all folks are bad. I do not think that is a stretch. However, let's make a couple needed distinctions on the matter.

    If somebody is telling you to buy more of something that may or may not work. That is selling hopes and dreams. I certainly would not call it a plan anymore than I call tossing a quarter into a wishing a plan.

    At some point in the scheme of things we have to consider if things are intentionally omitted, made more difficult or is a far cry from what is commonly practiced. Of the information that is being shared, is it the whole picture or just the part that suits some narrative? Is there a disadvantage present that another more skilled or familiar party would object to?  And then, whose fault is that really?

    To put that in contrast better related to the topic of loans. I don't have problem with folks investing in high risk loans in general. However, that only goes so far as the investor understands those risks. I can tell you it seems to be a crucial missing component. It has become a little more common, unfortunately, to hear someone say "They didn't tell me that" or "They did not mention that". Convenient omission? Did the one who failed to cover a crucial concept do it on purpose or did they themselves not know?

    Is not knowing a good excuse if you are the teacher? I would error on the side of NO to that question. Don't teach what you don't known. You going to hurt somebody whether you intend to or not.

    That is aside from some of the seminars that seem to take place and one of first questions I tend to use to judge the content of said seminar is, did you learn how to price loan?

    When the answer to the question is NO. It begs the issue of what in world did you spend 5 hours talking about? In order put a price on something I must, at least, have some idea of the process and pitfalls that need to be considered in order to create the number. Those more than often are missing. That is also aside from just have simply the wrong idea of all together. (ie - buying loan to own property)

    Let me also add, I am ok with the endeavor of pursuing calculated risks, so far they are based on something remotely true and not stuff is made up to suit the narrative.  That just means, the end game is not the learning, it is what is ultimately behind the narrative.  

    I have no other better example than the link that I just posted above with the fairy-tale from the unknown attorney. The guy in a whole bunch of BS attempts to say, buy many of these crappy loans and hope that one of them wins and wins enough so as to make all your money back plus some return. I don't have a problem investing high risk second liens. I don't have problem investing in unsecured debts. I own some deficiencies, safe to say I get. There is and was a specific set of considerations into acquiring the unsecured debts we own, not to mention the secured. I guess, to say it another way it is certainly possible to review investments and come to a determination as to the most probable outcome. In order to do that, I have to understand what the path is and what the risks are. Once that is done, an investor tends to attach a number to it relative to their perceived risk. If eyes are wide open, there is no issue with any of it.

    However, that is not the case, it seems in frankly many of these guru programs. They are purposely disadvantaging others for their own ultimate gain. Who is best served by an investor buying a bunch of crap and hoping it works? Its not the investor.

    I didn't choose the curriculum, if that idea would have been, "let us teach you how to buy one loan right so you can buy many loans right" - I don't think we have an issue. If the guru recognizes the obvious, that the counter-parties are of no experience - why is the due diligence short or non-existent?

    I can tell you, I have seen a couple of these gurus actually say diligence material is not available until post close. I then had to pick up my jaw from the floor.

    Ultimately, I think your point does not fall on deaf ears. There is a distinction between those who really do want work with investors and have their best interest at heart but I am not going, nor do I think newbie investors should, give the benefit of the doubt first. From my seat, unfortunately, the good guys seem to be out numbered.  

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dion DePaoli:

    For those readers who like to follow along at home.  I guess this thread made a baby in anther forum.  Since I believe them to be directly related I am going to post the link to thread here.  2nd NPN Risk Mitigation

    As it turns out, it's a wonderful and fun filled story of loans, cookies, ice cream, cobras and science fiction.  

     @dion

    Glad to see I caught you on a rare good day! Baking cookies, reading comincs and all whatever else. Sorry, I don't understand much of your post comment, I'm just a simple guy I guess. I can tell you, Mr. Prominent as you called him, runs 8 figure NPN investment funds so I will stick with the attorney with a track record on this one, but thanks for the input.

    As far as the comment, "A defaulted loan has not other utility than being a defaulted loan", in my experience, I have found them to be profitable. seems Dave Vanhorn and several others have figured it out too. I totally understand the idea of buying several notes in a pool and have been happy to have been exposed to the concept by a "Guru". Peace. 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    @Rick Bradd you get it, and I suspect you'll do just fine. Having money is no sin, having an arrogant and egotistical attitude is, when you truly believe your money gives creditability or  some unique skill set beyond your training, as some do, that is in error, that's obviously not you! Not all investors do that either, most with money are astute, that is how you keep your money!

    Success with a guru doesn't really set any bar for others to follow. That's much like saying you follow some horse track newsletter, on the average you win at the track. Problem with "on the average" is when do you stop? What note do you buy without another to hedge potential losses, or do you even know?

    Now, compare that to my approach, in the end, after all has been said and done, I never lost a dime in a purchased note. I only picked winners. I may have jumped through some hoops on some, but in the end, I never lost a dime. I also bought notes at a much deeper discount than you'll be buying from any guru program or brokerage program, dealing directly with the note holder.

    I don't know what yields are hit, on the average, by investors jumping on the guru bandwagon, I can assure you mine had yields, annualized, in the hundreds and thousands of a per cent as to an APR yield, that's because notes purchased were refinanced to the UPB within days, not years. I was never satisfied in holding a note for some 22% annualized yield, laying myself out to long term risks, Not to say I didn't hold some, but the portfolio that sits idle is losing money. A simple exercise in the velocity of money from buying good notes. The only way you can do that is by knowing the note, the borrower, the collateral and the circumstances. I didn't gamble like those who lack knowledge and pray they have a good broker that might limit their losses.

    Do what you're comfortable with, if losing 10% to make 30% is acceptable to you, have a happy life.  If you call that "investing" so be it, I don't.  :)

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Bob E. I hear your point about having to start somewhere.  I am not sure I agree with the alternatives that you mentioned of either not being in the space or investing in not so great assets.  It just seems like something nobody can really ever know since it didn't go that way.  It is also important to note, my rant is not an argument to support the boards being the education that is needed for this asset class.  

    I am not sure a reader, including myself, can follow along with some of the supporting asset examples you mention. One of the first things we really need to do is exclude real property. REO is not a note. It is REO. Real property. We are not talking about real property. So, let us not include those in this discussion.

    To continue to use those other examples, I think that filters down to a total of 7 assets. Two of which you mention are not profitable. It's not clear what you mean when you say, they are losses now but somehow the can be turned into 15% returns. Not that we are owed any further detail, but there is a bit of gloss over there too. Let's not talk about the ones that don't work, which will eventually work. I am inclined to attribute the mentioned eventual gain on those assets, based on the rest of the story, to recover from rental income. An detail that should be approached with a little caution since a Mortgagee is not entitled to the property.

    If we really want to be technical (or what is often referred as doing things right) and follow the rules of accounting, no money you make from the real property is booked against your note. So in that standard, you are actually not making money on the note at all. If you bought an NPL, foreclosed and ended up with the property, every dollar that went into the note is a complete loss. You will be taking the real property entry and booking at the cost basis you finished your note at. Those gains from sale or rental income will post against the real property entry not your note investment.

    There is probably an example or two there of how new folks need to approach these topics. Details do matter. I hate always being on guard with words. However, in this setting, presentation of the material and supporting evidence matter. The list of why it matters is actually pretty long and often times newbies don't want to be bother with such details. The guru seems to walk the listener up to river bank then talks about the other side and the newbie magically is on the other side of the river not realizing just how they got there. Oblivious to the lack of the bridge or a boat. Not saying that is what Bob E did. Just a point in details always matter here as there are always many.

    I can speak to what I have seen from some of these guru seminars first hand which is misleading. They do not pull the true accounting of the asset out and show audience. They will post a picture of a settlement check and not really account for the cost basis. So they never formally break it down in accounting which is really the only scoreboard that matters. The check picture practice is a favorite of mine. It is CLEARLY an exercise in presenting controlled and limited information to suit the narrative. Without the accounting support, that number does not really exist outside of it simply being stated. If we drill into that tactic one step further, presenting a settlement check to the audience to illustrate gains on a note investment takes and treats it all like real property. The common person is inclined to look at the bottom of a HUD 1 or the settlement check from a title company and consider that all gain. Well it's not. Only once hinted at do we snap to all of us knowing that may not be the final accounting. Is that dubious? You decide, I sort of think so. It is purposely making a number mean something that it does not. It is pretty much the definition of misleading.

    Another example to look at, not picking on you Bob E. but to illustrate how slippery the slope is. So, we have 7 assets that I believe are loans. You have ONE DIL. Not two. The one asset that is referred to that a DIL has not been completed is not done. When counting chickens, we all know not to count the eggs. That is not to say it does not finalize as a DIL. What it does is it forces us to not include little stretches or harmless exaggerations which on there own do not hurt much. As more and more stack up, certainly we can see how that will alter the picture. That is controlling the content to suit the narrative.

    In addition, of the 7 loans, just one turning DIL beats the odds. One DIL is 14% success rate. Sounds awesome but the portfolio size unintentionally influences that number higher. If that was the only loan purchased, the success rate would be 100%. Do we believe that is duplicateable?

    Many newbies, it seems, do think that the chances of those types of dispositions are higher than they actually are. Much to the point where it is practically 100%. The supporting example there, is the one loan they want to try to purchase will disposition in that manner. Seemingly oblivious to the [high] chance it will not. I can also tell you from first hand, that idea is then used to sell a higher price. All of this also ignores, the idea that just because you got a DIL doesn't mean that DIL is how the asset is or should be properly dispositioned. A DIL from a borrower whose title is riddled with liens will increase the DIL success rate as a number but the DIL is not really how the asset ultimately gets dispostioned. Again, matters of detail that should not be shrugged off. It is very simple and easy to portray the wrong idea to a newbie in that setting. Is that dubious? You decide, I tend to think so.

    I think it is important to note, my point in the rant is to the audience. The guru lives because the audience sets aside common sense many times which is to some large degree a basis of due diligence. They do that and justify it unknowingly which I can only refer as "magic". The newbie who stood on the side of the river bank who then found themselves on the opposite side with no bridge and no boat sort of let's it happen to themselves. How did you get over? Is that side of the river the same as where you just thought you were? The newbie needs to demand the bridge be built or the boat pick them up. Not magical teleportation.

    It is tough if you are new to see these things and perhaps know these things. That will not and can not change. It is beyond the scope of anyone's power. I am not going to splash sympathy there. That is the rally call desiring the easy answer which often times is not the right answer. Again, they need the newbie to believe these things are true without consideration to other matters. Don't worry abuot the 100 losers, just look at the shiny one winner.

    I already posted to the point that there are good people who do it right and that is all good. We are not talking about them. We are talking about the ones that are not them. We are talking about practices that disadvantage a newbie (or anyone) in their capacity to truly evaluate and operate in this space. I know the post was long, but I pointed to lots of issues with specific practices. (I think I did anyway) Why are those points being glossed over? So does that mean, we condon those practices because barrier of entry is more difficult or high? That does not make sense. I am sorry that what is complicated stays complicated. Sometimes things can not break down further or we are not talking about the same thing. I suppose that is probably the lesson #1 in the path of a new loan investor. It is not going simple. Stop looking for it.

    Look at the one post in other thread linked here. What happened there? I humorously went through the statement and pointed to all of the issues with what was being said. That entire couple of paragraphs is nothing but a bunch BS talk. I know a lot of attorneys, I am not sure that was written by one. I would like to believe that common sense, maybe with a little light from my commentary allows many (hopefully all) to see that it is a bunch of malarkey. The spell doesn't work unless you let it. It certainly doesn't work if you get to know this asset class a little bit and apply some common sense. I think there is something to be observed by the audience as to the rebuttal to my post. The proposed answer is precisely, well do not listen to common sense, eat all the cookies that may or may not be poisoned and it will work out for you because this person says that it should, oh and by the way, they are important.  

    Let's be clear on something, the mention that the author of the comment is an attorney is frankly too hard to believe. I know a lot of attorneys. None would ever be so cavalier. No attorney in their right mind is going to tell somebody to take on un-calculated risks. Attorneys and fund managers are not the same thing. Attorneys as counsel to large funds who also need business from other clients may not be as successful as portrayed or implied as the fund's counsel. The bigger the fund, the less time counsel has to work on matters not related to the fund. This is another sort sales pitch. The use of the Hedge Funds, Attorneys or Access to the Big Banks, blah, blah, blah. It works, unfortunately, on the public more often than not because they do not really know of the these things or how it actually works. How does an investment fund work, who is in charge, what roles do the players fill, etc. So when somebody who knows these things stops by, the crap that was sticking to walls being referred to as art is quickly seen as crap on the walls not art.

    One litmus test to use as a newbie is a sort of cavalier test. If your money is being treated in a cavalier manner or if someone is pretending that money grows on tress. Then there is nothing past that point for you there. Walk away. If the details can not be shown. Then walk away. If the details can not be explained in manner for you to understand in full then walk away. If it doesn't pass common senses tests, it is not because you don't understand things. It is because ultimately it is a bunch of crap. There is an important tie into that set of protection ideas. Those of us who talk about the things that you don't know, do not say they things that you can not know. The notion of not knowing what you don't know is not expressly a matter of comprehension as much as it is a matter of experience and proper understanding. Both of which you have to be little patience with obtaining.  There are always many considerations and those considerations do not come to light until you get to the specifics of the matter.  None of us can change that.  Nor does that mean it should glossed over or dumbed down.  When it is, that is how you get harmed.

    This thread is just talking to those who have interest in the asset class and is a vigorous shake to make sure that common sense is prevailing. It would seem to some degree, perhaps when an unknown party makes a counter argument to common sense, that telling you to use common sense is not what they are interested in. The way to not be poisoned by the bad cookies is do not eat any cookie from that batch.

    We all know that. Right?

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @Bob E. Despite the NPN fear mongers that type (or Dragon Speak) many words but contain little substance in some of the posts, know that I for one appreciate you sharing useful real world information. Especially since you are in the NPN trenches and are actually working notes. I never realized we aren't investing since we have a built in loss factor built into models (pool buying) until I read above,

    "Do what you're comfortable with, if losing 10% to make 30% is acceptable to you, have a happy life. If you call that "investing" so be it, I don't. ". 

    Did I get this right? Im not too good at math now. If you net $28K on one Milwaukee note, but loose $4000 total on two notes, looks to me like you profit net $24K off $16K invested. 3 notes, one pays and two loose. That makes NO sense, stop it immediately before you get hurt!!!! And stop telling people, they can't understand this new fancy math. My gosh. Scary high finance stuff here. It appears you did find a good coach, props. 

    @Dion DePaoli  Might be time to have your sugar levels tested(I'm not a Dr, consult a professional). Tyler E. Happe received his Juris Doctorate, with distinction, from the University of Pacific’s McGeorge School of Law. Prior to entering the study of law, Tyler attended UCLA, receiving a bachelors degree in History. Your welcome to bring your best Golden microphone to the Jan. 13, 2015 For Investors By Investors meet up (a great established no sales pitch network meeting that I have NO membership/affiliation in) in Manhattan Beach, CA where the attorney will be on a question and answer panel. Then you can inform him of the error in his ways yourself, if you can let him get a word in that is. 

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Tiger M. I really don't understand your leg in this race. Ultimately my commentary seems to have upset some of the apples on your cart. All the credentials in the world mean nothing if the direction given is not in the best interest of the audience. Further, arguing with a person who is not here and we can't know what they are or are not actually saying while you post for them seems like an utter waste of my time and space on the boards. I am pretty sure anyone who wants to chime in can get a log-in from the powers that be at BP and join the conversation. If they don't have time for that but have time to write a side essay related to this thread advocating ridiculous ideas then I don't see how any credibility can be given in the first place.

    My point is pretty simple. Anyone, anywhere, anytime who tells a person to eat a lot of the analogous cookies that may or may not be poisonous in hopes that one cookie will not be is no friend or adviser to keep around. It is beyond me how that point can even be defended.

    I do wish to point out that last two posts are really the first commentary seemingly coming from you and not on behalf of someone not here. You seem to be pretty up at arms judging by a bit of the hostile tone in your post. I assure you there is nothing wrong with my sugar levels. I didn't eat any of the cookies.

    If you want to debate merits of the ideas that I am condemning, let's debate those. In advance be prepared for me and any other reader to challenge the entirety of the ideas used in defense. You seem to be very concerned that the consumption of the analogous cookies continues. You seem to advocate for investing by luck explicitly against the best interest of the investor audience. There seems to be a point you are trying to imply around or about pools or portfolios which is relatively unclear. The good news is I have 'extensive' experience with pools of loans. The bad news is each time you have made this reference you seem to want the reader to cross over into something magical. Buying a pool of loans does not make the loans magic nor the recovery from said loans magical. So you are going to have to do a better job at expressing your point there, as right now I am not sure any of us can ascertain what you are trying to say.

  • Lender · Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 553 posts · 490 votes
    11y

    Personally, I don't buy into the idea that gurus provide no value in the note investing space. One could make that argument much more convincingly for standard REI, given the number of books and online materials available, including the excellent resources available here on BP. In the notes space, there is little in the way of how-to information available for low cost. Sure one could piece information together from various sources over time and work to fill in the blanks by posting questions here, but if one desires to break into the space in a relatively short time period, finding a private mentor or using a guru program are the viable alternatives.

    I do agree that guru training programs tend to sugar coat things to some degree, focusing more on successful scenarios and outcomes.  I think its also true that many folks spend money on these programs expecting that someone is going to give them the magic formula which will lead them to easy riches.  Smart people understand that they will not get all of the details they need from the program and nothing short of gaining solid knowledge and applying a lot of hard work over time will lead to success.  I personally know a number of very successful note investors who got their start with a  guru, and I know many more who have paid up for programs and have never moved on to purchased a note.  The individual determines whether or not value is derived from the program.

    Guru bashing seems to be a sport enjoyed by many on this forum, and I must admit I sometimes find it entertaining.  But what's the point of bashing if we cannot point to a viable alternative?  I would encourage those on this forum who are knowledgeable to focus their energies on building that alternative.  Pick a topic and write a blog post, or write a book.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Bob E. 

      I think one point should be mentioned your a RE broker with a lot of experience.  So note investing was a natural progression for you... And you were better equipped to handle the transaction from a fundamental, knowledge stand  point and emotionally .. than someone who really has no experience in what it takes to actually buy and prosecute these deals either DIL work out or foreclosure.

    Any one who is giving advice on how to do anything in RE whether its free or they charge for it is a guru to some extent.. I look at Dion as  Note Guru but a Good Guru one who obviously knows the industry.   And I agree just because someone is on BP a lot with many posts or has done a pod cast does not make them necessarily some extremely credible person that anyone reading should blindly follow.

    Just like going to a REIA meeting you meet all sorts of different experience levels at those meetings and many do not have a clue as to what they are talking about.. so the advice you get at those events is what you pay for it .

    @Tiger M. 

     I have been a guest speaker at FIBI and know David and Matt and Jeremy personally done deals with them.. In all the low cost or basically free events that I have seen they do a pretty darn good job of bringing in good folks and balanced opinions.. I mean there I was talking about out of state investing on the same stage as a turn key out fit that sells a model that I would not recommend.. But divergent points are good.  One funny note whenever I do speak at FIBI I ask two questions  1. how many are RE agents 80% of the hands go up.. .2. how many lend money either Hard or private 60% of the hands go up. So you have a pretty intuned group there..

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Mike, you might have missed my post above, I might be on your ignore list, LOL, you may not see this one......but I addressed the issue of creating an alternative.

    Writing a book on notes has a lot of variables to overcome. I agree with you, alternatives are slim, doesn't mean following bad information or schemes is the best route.

    I never took a guru course in my life, I'd say I have a pretty good grasp of notes. The alternative might be, get a real education, learn legal aspects, be aware of applicable laws, understand a bit about marketing and psychology, that will probably increase the odds of gabling in notes.

    Anything in commerce where there can be high rewards will have a high barrier to entry, pretty much an economic law, not just anyone can start an oil company today and compete with Exon. In this area, the barrier is education, time devoted to learn and the person's ability.

    Another note :) I see part of my post was quoted, not sure what that was  by Tiger, whatever. Hang around the business world a bit longer, you'll find that gurus, scammers, unethical types come in all stripes, what one preaches and teaches, what they do will gain my respect much quicker than degrees on the wall, Phi Kappa Phi memberships framed or calling themselves something. I don't know your attorney friend, have no reason to think anything about them, don't know what he may advocate, but a JD doesn't make an expert in finance, how many attorneys argue with bank examiners and lose? Answer: More than win!

    If I went to a seminar, I wouldn't be sitting with the crowd either, been there, done that.  :)

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @Dion DePaoli "Ultimately my commentary seems to have upset some of the apples on your cart. All the credentials in the world mean nothing if the direction given is not in the best interest of the audience."

    Not at all, go ahead and bully pulpit all you like. I'm not arguing for someone not here, I simply posted advice given to me. I think you read it wrong prior to your gun challenge. You stated your doubt that the statement was coming from legal counsel that I posted on a totally separate thread, so I, in jest, provided you the info. You seemed confused (from all the cookies you ate) by it not knowing if it was actual real legal advice. Guess my humor is too dry. My wife doesn't get my humor either.

    Bill G. previously suggested, and I listened, that I should spend some more time on risk mitigation a couple months back in the Why Buy Notes BP thread. The lawyer post was a partial result of my findings. BP is all about sharing info, especially when they are from high paid professionals that have proven results.

    If I had followed the dire warnings about NPN, I never would have bought because of fear and that would have been a mistake. I tire of all the smoke and mirrors in notes. Its just another tool that has a window of opportunity that will change with the market. Yes, you have to watch for the rip off gurus and JV coaches that will take advantage of you, just like when buying a used car you need to be cautious. There are plenty of honest people to find though. Best thing I did was RISK on my first pool purchase. A pool isn't mystical, it's more than 1 loan at a time. I have learned more by actually buying and managing notes than watching like I did for a full year building spreadsheets getting ready to get ready. Only regret is not starting sooner. I found several good sellers and a couple of good servicers that make it all fairly simple and straight forward. Add in a good lawyer and CPA and what do you know, a team. I didn't even have to give away 50/50 or any part of my notes to have someone help hold my hand through it all.

    There is nothing wrong with disagreeing on my end. Whatever your model is works for you with your extensive experience. I like building in a 20% loss (risk) factor because of my lack of experience. I pay for advice and that money is well spent. You don't need to I guess so Im happy for you. And no I don't have any dog in the guru race. I agree with @Mike Hartzog  that we have to get enough information from somebody in order to get started. I'm here to discuss whats working for me and listen to whats working for others like @Bob E.  . You can condemn it all you want but it doesn't change my experience.

  • Lender · Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 553 posts · 490 votes
    11y

    @Bill Gulley 

    Bill you are definitely not on my ignore list. :-)  I was scanning a bit on this thread and I guess I just missed it. 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Tiger, that's not really a bad approach, the issue is really the depth of knowledge to go on it alone, I wish it were easy, I'd be happy to tell all I know, but that really isn't possible.

    I'll say this, I am working on it, I would like to give some aspect of due diligence, that's where the issue really lies, anyone with a calculator can figure a yield.

    It is an issue I'd really like to solve!  It's not that easy! :)

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs  Actually Jay I am only and agent not a broker and have been active for a few years.  

    I have however, always been an investor.  My mother supported our family from a very modest investment portfolio and social security survivor benefits after my father died at a young age and I learned a lot from her.  After the crash RE was a natural contrarian investment and, after doing some flips and buying some rentals, first my wife and then I got our agents licenses.  Latter when I heard of note investing it was a natural extension for me to add to my investors tool belt.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Bob E. 

      agent broker same diff to me.. my point was you have some working knowledge of the industry before you hopped into one of the more complicated transactions.. and not that they are complicated just a lot of moving parts and other things one must look out for when launching into it.

    I look at it like flying.

    If I hopped into a trainer plane the check list is maybe 5 items... just like buying a rental house.

    When I hop into my current plane the check list is not one but 4 distinct check lists and 4 to 8 items on each one, plus the post take off check list, the level in flight check list, the pre decent check list,  the pre landing check list and the short final check list. And that is on a clear blue day if I am flying IFR add  much more to the equation  LOL! 

    that's how I see buying notes that are non performing just a bunch of check lists and you need to know them all and check them all off so you don't run into any rocks  !  I bet there are check lists out there already published for one to use though !! then you have to know what everything means...!!

    enjoyed following your first investments though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.