HELOC on Property I got title thru Tax Lien Foreclosure

HELOC on Property I got title thru Tax Lien Foreclosure

Investor · Spring Valley, NY · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 11 votes
Hi guys, I got final judgement on a 3 unit in Passaic County on Feb 10. For now I wanna keep it as a rental. Does anyone know when I can get a HELOC on the property? Would the banks wanna wait for the 90 days to pass before they give me a loan against the property? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!
0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
11y

@Moshe Eisenberg  That will depend on the bank. I would talk to some smaller community banks and see what they can do for you. 

It wouldn't actually be a HELOC. A HELOC is a home equity loan. Since this is an investment property it wouldn't be called a HELOC. One bank I went to called it a Business equity line. It might help a little if you know the right lingo to use.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    11y

    Depends on the lender. I have dealt with at least one credit union that will let you get a HELOC on an investment property right after you bought it.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Moshe Eisenberg  That will depend on the bank. I would talk to some smaller community banks and see what they can do for you. 

    It wouldn't actually be a HELOC. A HELOC is a home equity loan. Since this is an investment property it wouldn't be called a HELOC. One bank I went to called it a Business equity line. It might help a little if you know the right lingo to use.

  • Investor · Spring Valley, NY · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Ned Carey Yeah knowing the terms and sounding like you know what's flying goes a long way. I did have some good results recently (on other topics) when I simply said that I'm new to this and I would appreciate their guidance. The other party is usually happy to share their knowledge and they appreciate the honesty and if they can make it a deal they do it. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    That is really smart. More new investors need to understand this. It is a compliment when you ask someone for advice. 

    Take advantage of that fact you are new, young, full of energy and hungry  to make your mark on the world.

    When you are old and experienced, you get to take advantage of that too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.