I have a deal that I am working on. I am fairly new to OF deals. I own the SFR outright. I am selling the property for $125k. The buyers are putting $5k down and financing $120k. since I am fairly new to RE investing, I want to get my money (or the majority of it) out. How do I make the note attractive to investors that are buying notes? DO I need to try to get more down from the buyers to make the LTV more attractive? I haven't finalized the deal yet with the buyers but I was going to set the note for 30-year, no balloon, 7.5%. If they finance $120k and I offer it to an investor for $105k - $110k is that attractive? Any light you note buyers/sellers out there could shed on this would be helpful.
Stacy,
The price SF note investors will pay depends on many factors. These factors will help the investor determine their perceived risks regarding if the note will default and if the note defaults, what are the risks of at least being made whole if they foreclose and liquidate the property. I will give you some background to better explain my conclusion how note investors will receive your note.
Items that will help access these risks
Interest rate. If the buyer is willing to pay high rates, (9ish% and up) sets off alarm bells about possible default for residential notes. Most higher interest rate residential paper I have seen seams to end up in default. Some commercial property secured notes can justify higher interest rate if the cash flow is there and the venture is well managed just like a HML
Balloon payments- If it appears the borrower will not be able to refinance a balloon payment, most note investors will only by the payments leading up to the balloon or price as if the note continues to amortize out without the balloon.
As a rule of thumb, no SF note investor (I know of) will go beyond 70% ITV for any note right now unless it is gold plated. Yours being new with a small down payment would like only receive offers to purchase the next 48 to 120 payments where they could keep their investment blow $60K. If you got 20% down on the property’s true market value, you could probably sell your entire note for 65 to 75 cents on the dollar for a 30 year amortization. A 15 year amortization could bring you 75 to 85 cents depending on the strength of the borrowers and property.
Hope this helps,
Scott Arpan
As a note buyer, I personally wouldn't be interested in a 7.5% yield. The discount you're providing helps with the low rate of return, but, like you mentioned, there is not much skin in the game from the buyer to make up for the collateral, if it fails. You haven't mentioned the value of the property. If the value was significantly higher than the sales price of $120k, the deal could be more interesting.
Stacy,
The price SF note investors will pay depends on many factors. These factors will help the investor determine their perceived risks regarding if the note will default and if the note defaults, what are the risks of at least being made whole if they foreclose and liquidate the property. I will give you some background to better explain my conclusion how note investors will receive your note.
Items that will help access these risks
Interest rate. If the buyer is willing to pay high rates, (9ish% and up) sets off alarm bells about possible default for residential notes. Most higher interest rate residential paper I have seen seams to end up in default. Some commercial property secured notes can justify higher interest rate if the cash flow is there and the venture is well managed just like a HML
Balloon payments- If it appears the borrower will not be able to refinance a balloon payment, most note investors will only by the payments leading up to the balloon or price as if the note continues to amortize out without the balloon.
As a rule of thumb, no SF note investor (I know of) will go beyond 70% ITV for any note right now unless it is gold plated. Yours being new with a small down payment would like only receive offers to purchase the next 48 to 120 payments where they could keep their investment blow $60K. If you got 20% down on the property’s true market value, you could probably sell your entire note for 65 to 75 cents on the dollar for a 30 year amortization. A 15 year amortization could bring you 75 to 85 cents depending on the strength of the borrowers and property.
Hope this helps,
Scott Arpan
You need a broker to put a loan package together, process it, have verified documents, even if Dodd-Frank doesn't apply, the note will be worth more. I also suggest you set the note off to servicing at settlement, their accountings will be more believable than yours trying to sell the note, and lowers the servicing risks. And, 30 years will kill your profits.
10% down is more common too, that is a very weak loan.
Consider selling part of the note, you can guarantee the payments and you'll do much better. Good luck :)
Yep, like Bill G. said.
10% down
20yr loan
try to sell first 15yrs and keep the last 5 for yourself