Purchasing NPN from SubPrime Lender then foreclose/rehab?

Purchasing NPN from SubPrime Lender then foreclose/rehab?

Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes

Hello all - 

I'm a relative Note greenhorn but not a greenhorn to REI. I've read up and studied enough on notes to be dangerous...ha.

I cant provide every single detail - post will get a bit long, and I may give away the property I'm after as there are plenty of other local investors here.

However there is a house my wife and I would love to get ahold of and make it our personal residence.  Long story short, home built in the mid 70's -- built VERY WELL -- same owner since around 85 or so -- this owner kept cash out refi'ng over the years to supplement their lifestyle - last mortgage they took out was around 2007, then I'm guessing based on conversations with the neighbors stopped paying the mortgage around 2012 or so if I had to guess.  

The mortgage was then transferred/sold by the major/national lender to a sub prime lender -- house has been for sale 2 now going on 3 years I believe.  Home is full of mold and no one has lived in it for 2-3 + years.  It would require a total gut job which I have already roughly bid - major unknown would be truly how bad is the mold? -- story I got was that around 8-10 years ago the homeowner was replacing the roof themselves and a tremendous storm/downpour soaked the inside of the house/all the interior walls and mold started to grow.  My nose never ran and I did not notice it but I could see it in places.  I'd be prepared to strip it to the studs.

So my thought process was that instead of offering the bank $100k less than what is presently being asked for the house, go direct to the bank - see if I could purchase the note at a discount, then go ahead with the foreclosure process myself.  I'm not an expert on KS foreclosures however am not  a stranger to how it works and all the steps.  One of my rehabs involved redeeming a property out of foreclosure.

So if I could purchase the note for 10-20cents on the dollar for what is presently owed, then foreclose - wait out the redemption period, then assign title to myself and begin rehab?

Am I crazy?  Is this doable?  Have I hit all the hi-lights? I pretty sure the sub prime lender does not want to foreclose due to the mold -- they have to be aware of the issue as per my knowledge 2-3 people have had it under contract then backed out last minute when they found out it was inside the walls.  It makes no sense why they've left it on the market this long except for that one simple reason.  

We have enough patience to wait out the foreclosure process -- once the sheriff sale happened the owner would only have 90 days to redeem due to the state statute which determines the length of redemption based on how much principal has been paid off -- the owner would get the min amount of time.

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 553 posts · 490 votes
10y

The first biggest issue is contacting the right person at the bank.  My advice would be to search LinkedIn for the bank and determine if there is someone with the title of special assets manager or something similar.  If you could identify this person, you would at least know who to ask for when you call.  It's worth a shot.  Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Seems like a good way to buy the asset.. and you never know the greater fool theory may apply and someone bids the thing up and you make a very nice cash profit without doing anything but foreclosing.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the reply  @Jay Hinrichs

    I could probably put some rough #'s without giving away the location.   Estate Lot - 2 car garage - 3 beds 2 1/2 bath upstairs + office/great room -- Rambling Ranch -- Full Brick.  Appx 2400 sq ft on the main floor and probably around 1900-2000 in the basement.  So when you refinish the basement you'd have appx 3900-4k finished sq ft depending on how you do it. 

    I'd like to spend appx $100 to 120 on the first floor only along with adding another large garage and a fence around the property.  Could finish the basement later.  Replacing windows would be the largest single expense - still has the original 1975 casement windows.

    So if I'm it this were to hypothetically work out ---

    $50k               Note purchase and legal fees to foreclose  (Hoping if they sell note for 10-20 cents on dollar it would
                                                                                                be 35-40k for this part - spitballing $10k in legal fees)  

    $120k           Rehab  (would need maybe another $20 for the basement later)  

    -------------------------------------------------

    $170           Total invested      

    At a min ARV would be $220-250k if not higher depending on what I do outside- but dont see it going above $275k or so -- New/redevelopment is taking place very close by this neighborhood - homes hardly sell if ever since people live here for 20-30+ years or have so far in this little pocket of houses.

    I'm waiting on calls back from local atty's I know am familiar and have foreclosed on property before to get an appx ballpark cost on their expense then will attempt to track down who I need to speak with at the lender to make something happen.

    And as you said - the second exit is wholesale it later, or someone bids above what is owed at the sheriff's auction and wants to hold out on the redemption period themselves.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    I did a vanilla foreclosure in Kanasas  it cost less than 2k and took less than 90 days I believe.

    we did it to clear junior debt.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Your biggest obstacle will be getting anyone to even consider selling the note you.....it's not their SOP to sell to individual street level buyers.  And of course, they realize too, even if they're aware of the mold, there are plenty of uninformed buyers at the auction.

  • Lender · Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 553 posts · 490 votes
    10y

    The first biggest issue is contacting the right person at the bank.  My advice would be to search LinkedIn for the bank and determine if there is someone with the title of special assets manager or something similar.  If you could identify this person, you would at least know who to ask for when you call.  It's worth a shot.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2015 · 626 posts · 495 votes
    10y

    Good luck.  Please let us know how this works out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.