Tax lien foreclosure and then flip the house?

Tax lien foreclosure and then flip the house?

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes

Hey guys,

I have been buying tax liens for a few years, and recently three of them passed the redemption period and I started the foreclosure process to apply for the deed. Just try to make plan here, if I do get the deeds, and then sell the property, is it considered a capital gain or earned income for tax purposes? And if I hold the property for a while before selling it, or if I fix it up and then sell it, do these change what type of tax I would pay ( long term capital gain, short term capital gain, ordinary income)?

Thanks! I'd love to hear your opinions.

Sophie

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
5y

@Sophie Wang

1. Always talk to your CPA

Not an account but if your goal was to flip a property then it’s earned income.

The way around it is potentially to consider it a rental and hold it for 2 years before selling it but again speak to your CPA

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y

    @Sophie Wang

    1. Always talk to your CPA

    Not an account but if your goal was to flip a property then it’s earned income.

    The way around it is potentially to consider it a rental and hold it for 2 years before selling it but again speak to your CPA

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Sophie Wang If you bought the property with the intention of flipping it then it is ordinary or earned income. Only if you bought the property with the intention of holding and renting it for the long run would capital gains apply.

    Taking your time to fix it up does not change the type of income it is. The IRS will look at the facts such as your efforts to sell the property, and efforts to rent the property. Also they will look at your history. Have you been flipping houses or have you been holding rentals? Flipping houses whether wholesaling them or fixing them up first is earned income.

    PS @Chris Seveney posted while I was writing my post. Go back and read rule number 1

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 837 posts · 316 votes
    5y
    You might consider selling with owner financing and taking advantage of the Installment Sale Contract tax provision. An installment sale is a sale of property where you receive at least one payment after the tax year of the sale. If you realize a gain on an installment sale, you may be able to report part of your gain when you receive each payment. You can learn more from IRS Pub 537 and talking to you accountant to see if it makes sense for your situation.
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    @Chris SeveneyThanks Chris! I agree with you income from flipping a property is earned income. And great advice, I need to talk to a CPA!


  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    5y
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    @Tracy Z. Rewey
      Thanks Tracy! Owner financing is a great idea! Other than the tax benefit it also has more income potential and makes the property easier to sell. I'll defintely look into this route!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.