Is Cleveland as good as it seems?

Is Cleveland as good as it seems?

Bellevue, NE · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 5 votes

I've been receiving emails from Holton-Wise for the past few weeks, and it seems like there are some pretty good deals that may cash flow around 2-300 bucks per month with decent cap rates (10-12%). Couple questions though.

1) I am seeing properties that cost around $60K that will produce gross rental income of $1-1.4K per month. Is this realistic or are these inflated rents? Would this indicate a property needing a lot of rehab or cap ex? Generally, are these prices/rents in decent neighborhoods?

2) Is Holton-Wise actually a decent property management company or not? I looked at their BBB rating and it is not great. Are they just a turn-key scam company? If not, I see they will do some rehab. Does anyone know how this works? Would they be a good option for an out of town investor? Do you know what percentage they charge? Any other property management companies you would recommend? Same questions as above for other companies. I am looking to build a team in Cleveland (I'm out of town).

3) What is the biggest pitfall in Cleveland? 

4) What areas should I avoid?

5) Are there any specific locations I should look in? Great streets / neighborhoods?

I appreciate the help? Hopefully I'll be able to network with some of you moving forward.

0Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 45 votes
9y

I can give you my impressions. I flew out to Cleveland to check the area out, meet various realtors, property managers, etc.. this included Holton-Wise. 

I just closed on a small apartment complex with them and they are managing the property. So I can't speak to the quality of property management yet. 

In general Cleveland is seeing a lot of outside investment. Money is flooding in and it is changing the town quite a bit. In my meetings with residents most were optimistic about things and felt good about their jobs etc. This seems to be supported by data i was able to gather from various sources on unemployment, job growth, etc..  BUT incomes in the area are quite low compared to other cities in the US and the city feels like it is finding a new identity.  The city is separated  by east/west with West is often considered safer and a better investment. People often don't cross from one side to the other from what I'm told. I however drove around and felt fine.  

As an investor I think you have to look at the job growth and how sustainable those jobs will be. Will the jobs created today be there in 10 years and how will the pay change? The biggest employers are hospitals, universities and some financial services companies i think.

As for Holton-Wise... they are very aggressive so I can understand why you might have the "scam" concern.They have only been around for 2 years or so. Most of the team seems quite young and hungry. This shows because you see their signs all around town. I had a brief meeting with James Wise and he certainly was not lacking in confidence and clearly knows how to sell. My agent (Anthony Aviles) was a bit more measured and was very thoughtful. He was responsive but not pushy and gave me good feedback throughout the process.  I'll likely use him again to purchase another complex after i stabilize my recent purchase. It was a smooth transaction etc... If i was to sell anything , like ice to a Eskimo.. or a property, I'd probably run to James :) 

I would suggest that if you're serious about investing in the area you get out there and shake some hands. Talk to the people who live there and get to know the area a bit before investing. This is also helpful because if you do have a problem with a management company like HW you can have a backup ready to take over. I certainly do :)   I'll try to remember to post a review of their management service 6 months from now

Every prop management company i spoke with charges roughly 10% of gross rents for apartments. 

If you want some other options I'd talk to Adam at Lokal if you are doing single family.  

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    We manage close to 30 properties in the Parma area, and all have been relatively solid investments in my opinion.  I personally own 3, and they actually require less attention than properties I own in other areas.  The schools are in a bit of a transitional period, but overall I believe it's still a healthy market.

  • Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    I have 2 duplexes in Cleveland and managed by HW

    First,I highly recommend HW, the PM and realtors are very prompt. If you buy decent properties with good bones and have no major capex for next 5 years (roof etc.) you will make money.

    However, please expect the returns to be less than what your goals are if there is tenant turnover. I had properties in decent condition (well taken care of with min issues in property inspection report). When there is turnover, expect to see a rehab bill of 2k-3k for each unit. Even with bare bones fixes (repaint etc.), it easily gets to 2K with HW charges. I am fine with the expense as I am optimistic that HW will get some quality tenant that will stay >1 year. If each unit rents for 650$ and I spend 2k+ on rehab with each turnover + 1 month vacancy + 1 month leasing fee, you pretty much have lost 5 months of your earnings.

    So returns will get to 10-12% only when tenants stay >1 year

    I will continue to work with recommend HW but want to provide a balanced view on expected returns

    The pro formas usually under estimate initial improvements. If it says 2k assume it will be 5K+ 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Todd E.  I think James post there is excellent... he clearly defines areas that one can successfuly manage and other areas that are only appropriate for locals... 

    I did not see anything like 60k for 1400 rents in there though

    all the mid west cities are the same within a few dollars.. 

    Any investors from out of state would be wise to use a map like this and stay in the A and B areas.. 

    C if you want risk  anything else is just the hood with wipe out likely 

  • Nicholas MischPro Member
    Investor · Broadview Hts, OH · Member since 2016 · 310 posts · 280 votes
    9y

    I live in Parma and am on the hunt for my first investment property and this discussion was very helpful. Thank you. 

  • Investor · Scotts Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Here's my story from Cleveland:

    Six months ago, I bought a cheap property in Garfield Heights for about $60k. Since then I've had to deal with and pay for two turnovers, an eviction, and a bunch of surprise repairs. The investment is more or less stable now, with $1300 monthly income, but it was real rough getting there. If it was my first investment, I would be extremely discouraged and probably give up real estate.

    I highly recommend actually visiting the area and looking at properties before buying anything.

    @Chase: to answer your question - those numbers are certainly possible, and actually not that uncommon, but you must do your due diligence and take everything into account.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    9y

    @Gene Mattos Who's your PM?

  • Investor · Scotts Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    It is Holton-Wise as well. 

    Except for maybe some communication breakdowns early on, I'm fairly satisfied with their service.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    9y

    @Gene Mattos How many units is your Cleveland Garfield Heights property? Is it SFR or MF? I'm really hoping it's MF, bc 2 turnovers & an eviction on a SFR in a 6-month period sounds like gross mis-management to me. And it's not like you bought in East Cleveland - you bought in Garfield Hts - you shouldn't have these issues there!

    Also, re: the turnovers & evictions: were these tenants inherited or did HW screen & select these tenants?

    I'm especially curious bc another Cleveland investor just PMed me earlier today and reported similar issues with a property that he has under management with Holton-Wise. His main complaints were lack of communication from HW about non-performing tenants and lack of quickly remediating the situation (to be fair, he had inherited these tenants upon purchase - so the need to evict was certainly not HW's fault. But, as it was conveyed to me by this investor, apparently he was left in the dark about the fact that his tenants had stopped paying, and HW wasn't taking immediate action to evict, which is definitely concerning).

  • Investor · Scotts Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Eric P.: It's a duplex. HW inherited both - one of the tenants had turned over immediately, while the other had to be evicted. Another tenant was placed, signed the lease, and immediately wanted out, which was frustrating. As I mentioned in this post, it seems like it's harder to find quality tenants in the area, but it could just be seasonal.

    Now I have the duplex rented, and cash-flowing. We'll see what happens next.

  • Moreland Hills, OH · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    @Gene Mattos : Hello. I'm a new investor from the East suburbs of Cleveland in search of my first deal. I am looking at rental properties in the areas of Garfield, Maple, and Bedford so your property experience would certainly be relevant to me.

    May I ask how many bed/baths and the size of each unit? I'm presuming this was a HW 'turn-key'; in that case what sort of cap-ex do you expect over your ownership period beyond that related to tenant turnover and PM? 

  • Wholesaler · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hi. I am looking to talk to other investors active in Cleveland. Is anyone active in Glenville area, 44108?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2012 · 771 posts · 252 votes
    9y

    @Eduardo Slesaransky

    That's a rough zip code, IMO, and I'm speaking as someone that invests in some more marginal areas. Your profile says you're in Santa Monica and I'm assuming that is accurate and that you're not local to northeast Ohio. In that case, you first need to have a plan for how you're going to manage and maintain your units. If you can find a reliable PM that will service the area then you may be able to succeed there. I do not, however, recommend trying to invest there if you're not going to have local management in place.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    9y

    agreed with @Timothy Murphy III - better to line up PM first bc then you can ask their advice before purchasing. Any good PM will keep you out of areas they don't wanna service. Win-win

  • Wholesaler · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Thank you @C. Timothy Murphy III and @Eric P.

    Yes, I'm from California, the reason why I'm asking is because I'm negotiating with a seller in the area and I'm planing to flip the contract over to a local (OH) investor.

    If anybody knows someone actively investing/rehabbing over there, please let me / them know. Thank you!

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    I realize this thread is about a year old, but I'm wondering if anyone has 'current' positive feedback on a cleveland turnkey investment company.  I'm interested A/B neighborhoods only so typically suburbs.  

    thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 278 posts · 100 votes
    8y

    Hey Dan.  I was looking into Cleveland recently but found a good deal in Dayton.  I ended up buying in Dayton but I was referenced a turnkey company based in Cleveland.  I don't know to much about them other than I was told they are one of the better turnkey companies in that location.  I hope this is a good starting point for you.

    http://www.holtonwisepropertygroup.com

    @Dan Rowley

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    thank you @Derek Diamond

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    @Derek Diamond, sorry also wanted to ask you is there a company you are working with for Dayton that you would recommend.  I'm not locked into Cleveland and will consider Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati, and other cities in the regaion with favorable cash flows + investment profiles.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dan Rowley:

    I realize this thread is about a year old, but I'm wondering if anyone has 'current' positive feedback on a cleveland turnkey investment company.  I'm interested A/B neighborhoods only so typically suburbs.  

    thanks!

    If you're planning on financing the property, you likely won't cash flow very much if at all in the A/B suburbs, and if you purchase from a turn key company I can pretty much guarantee you won't cash flow (consistently) at all.  From what I've seen, Cleveland turnkey companies price their properties well above market and their advertised income numbers disregard a lot of expenses.  

    To be clear, and it was already mentioned in this thread, Holton-Wise isn't a turn key company.  They have a realty arm that functions like a normal real estate firm and sells the properties; some are rent ready, some are not. When you purchase the property, their PM arm takes over, does the necessary renovations to get it rent ready, and then manages it thereafter. 

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    Best rental market in America, ranked by Forbes last two years in a row, really the last 10 but they where not paying attention . ,The entire area is booming. West side ,  Cleveland Clinic area , and Slavic Village is making a big comeback. . Buying everything I can, and providing clients with double digit  net caps. The Flats are one of my favorite places to hang out... Good luck, 

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Dan Rowley we were providing clients with 25% ++ net caps about 6 years ago.  Now we provide 11- 15% nets , avg PP 60k, we handle everything..  GH, MH, CH, Euclid, Lee Harvard, West side, and are now ( should have started a year or so ago )  buying in Slavic Village. I just got two 4 units, with great cash flow, , all the best. 

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Eduardo Slesaransky not a great area, HOWEVER if you can buy all in 30k, MAX MAX, and have a good PM co, protecting you ,  not one that will just let them tear your property apart, and place anyone in . you can be ok. We do not recommend that area. Its all about the team surrounding you. 

  • Wholesaler · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Bob Prisco.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Johnathan Norman:

    I can give you my impressions. I flew out to Cleveland to check the area out, meet various realtors, property managers, etc.. this included Holton-Wise. 

    I just closed on a small apartment complex with them and they are managing the property. So I can't speak to the quality of property management yet. 

    In general Cleveland is seeing a lot of outside investment. Money is flooding in and it is changing the town quite a bit. In my meetings with residents most were optimistic about things and felt good about their jobs etc. This seems to be supported by data i was able to gather from various sources on unemployment, job growth, etc..  BUT incomes in the area are quite low compared to other cities in the US and the city feels like it is finding a new identity.  The city is separated  by east/west with West is often considered safer and a better investment. People often don't cross from one side to the other from what I'm told. I however drove around and felt fine.  

    As an investor I think you have to look at the job growth and how sustainable those jobs will be. Will the jobs created today be there in 10 years and how will the pay change? The biggest employers are hospitals, universities and some financial services companies i think.

    As for Holton-Wise... they are very aggressive so I can understand why you might have the "scam" concern.They have only been around for 2 years or so. Most of the team seems quite young and hungry. This shows because you see their signs all around town. I had a brief meeting with James Wise and he certainly was not lacking in confidence and clearly knows how to sell. My agent (Anthony Aviles) was a bit more measured and was very thoughtful. He was responsive but not pushy and gave me good feedback throughout the process.  I'll likely use him again to purchase another complex after i stabilize my recent purchase. It was a smooth transaction etc... If i was to sell anything , like ice to a Eskimo.. or a property, I'd probably run to James :) 

    I would suggest that if you're serious about investing in the area you get out there and shake some hands. Talk to the people who live there and get to know the area a bit before investing. This is also helpful because if you do have a problem with a management company like HW you can have a backup ready to take over. I certainly do :)   I'll try to remember to post a review of their management service 6 months from now

    Every prop management company i spoke with charges roughly 10% of gross rents for apartments. 

    If you want some other options I'd talk to Adam at Lokal if you are doing single family.  

    Hey Jonathan just reading through this thread. Which property management companies did you speak to while there? I am thinking of taking a trip myself... any recommendations? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    It seems cap rate is high there.   Most of neighborhoods are bad ?  How often is eviction?   $500 is average rent ?

    Like to connect with good brokers 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.