I'm jumping in to the game

I'm jumping in to the game

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
So I finally did it. For months I have pressed everyone I could find who was doing this stuff to learn as much as possible. I longed to "just hang around" people actually doing it. So that's me now. And I want to welcome anyone who has the itch to just come forward and watch as I jump in to this adventure. I have two houses - one I'm preparing to rent and the other will be a complete rehab. I've jumped in....
9Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 4 votes
9y

Congrats! I'm started my search in 03/2017 and am looking to buy my first house in San Antonio.  

Any lessons you have learned and would like to share?  I'm looking for a multifamily house in SA.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats on taking action!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 512 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    Great job! Congrats!

  • Troutman, NC · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Awesome and congratulation! I'm just starting my journey! So glad I found this site to learn and grow!
  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Awesome!

  • Investor · San Antonio , TX · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    That's awesome! Let's all take this journey together!
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    That is awesome.  How did you decide on these two propeties?

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congrats! I'm started my search in 03/2017 and am looking to buy my first house in San Antonio.  

    Any lessons you have learned and would like to share?  I'm looking for a multifamily house in SA.

  • Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 150 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Betty Cruz Congratulations! That's exciting, glad to hear that everything is coming along well!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Jason Yahner I searched for months and "decided on" several houses that I didn't win along the way. Then I began to be very interested in beacon hill because the location is awesome and the houses seem to be appreciating. I was looking for houses with back houses. Both of the houses I bought have back houses. One is in beacon hill the other in Los Angeles heights. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Becky Bricker I have learned sooo much and have tons more to learn. Every day I could make a long list of things learned. One thing I can say I observed about multifamilies is they are competitive to find and so many are so run down. 

  • Francisco TrejoPro Member
    Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    congrats, ... how did you finance your deals?

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Congrats... when it's done the right way, fun fun fun... I can't wait for my next one...
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Francisco Trejo. I did a traditional loan on the first one. And the second I used HELOC money.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Congrats on taking the jump. I'm also new to investing. Any advice on how to find my first deal would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing driving around neighborhoods looking for vacant homes. Any advice????

  • New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Awesome! I'm new to all of this and wanting to learn. I'm willing to help you in any way so that I can learn. I live in New Braunfels.
  • Investor · Castaic, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Betty congrats! You did it and you're on your way.. I've been eyeing the San Antonio market from afar. Did you work with someone to negotiate your deals? I'm also looking at MFs or duplex. Have you researched rules with adding ADUs? I have done well (by luck.. kinda calculated risk) in Portland and some stuff in California but nothing big. San Antonio seems attractive for investment. Are you local and doing rehab yourself? Good luck!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    So many new investors; congrats to all of you on taking action. My wife and I are new as well. Mainly flipping single family homes, wholesaling and some remodeling projects. Currently working on a flip in Beacon Hill, so @Betty Cruz we are familiar with that area if you have questions.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Elijah Jones  I have listened to podcasts and networked as much as possible but since I've only bought two so far I don't feel like an authority on finding deals. I do feel I was able to win the first one because of persistence. Someone beat me when it first went on the market but I kept up with it and consistently called the listings agent. When the first offer fell through, he came straight to to me. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Kassie Carrell  contact me!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Tim Patrick I would love to connect. I think that area is great and want another one there. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Kiki Helland  I'm local so I didn't need anyone to negotiate for me. I have hired local trades for rehab. My partner Ian excellently skilled in that area. I don't know what ADUs are. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Betty Cruz Congrats. Seems like you are moving fast. They always say on do your homework and then take a leap. What do the numbers look like on the rental (ie purchase price, rehab costs, rents) and sort of returns do you expect to get? Are your goals equity or cashflow? 

    I've been looking at the San Antonio Market and am interested in meeting local business partners to buy multi units. If anyone is interested in talking please DM me. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 240 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    @Adam London  I paid $160k. Put in about $7k for general handyman type stuff, termite treatment, some plumbing and some electrical. None of it HAD to be done but they were things I felt would improve the property. My goal is cash flow. I am trying to replace my day job salary. Rents total $2150. The other house i bought for $74k. Will end up spending $50 in rehab. So about $125k all in. Rents should equal $1900-2000. 

  • Wholesaler · Clovis, CA · Member since 2011 · 31 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    I'm impressed with what you have done, however, if your interested in making some fast profits, run some of your finds past me. I'm a wholesaler and we can flip these deals to hungry rehabbers.

    I wrote a book, its on kindle and called ... big buks junk houses  only 2.99

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    Congrats on getting to it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.