Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 49 votes
I’m playing with the idea of buying for cash flow and for occasional vacation use in either of these countries. I saw (online and YouTube) a couple very nice developments in Cebu (Mactan Newton) and Manila.
I have no idea of the real estate climate there. I’ve visited Thailand years ago but not the Philippines.
Any investors have good luck there?
I sign documents in the philippines in 2 weeks, recently got 2 condo units. One in Mactan/cebu area and one in metro manila called Mckinely Park. I’ll keep anyone up to date on my situation if you want to contact me and I’ll let you know the details. This is my first investment in the Philippines so I’m sure we have all the same concerns and I’m willing to share my experiences with the company (MegaWorld) I’m dealing with, as well as, Fhel the agent thats communicating with me and setting everything up. If you’d like to contact her I can get you in touch with her. MegaWorld has started a recent project and they offer ‘Development Financing’ and also its better to get in early if you decide this particular investment is right for you.
Specialist · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 149 votes
7y
Caution is the best words I can say. I travel Asia and my wife is Vietnamese. Laws in Asia are quite different than you are used to and the closing/titling of properties will blow your mind or keep you awake at nights. In all the Asian countries there are probably more scams than legit companies. We own property there because my wife is knowledgeable since she worked in RE investments for many years. Bribery of gov officials can get deeds changed sometimes too. You have a target on your chest screaming take my money.
That all being said, there is much money to be made in Asia over the next 20 years. If you know how to do it and choose partners wisely. Vietnam and some of the other countries are like the Wild West right now and fortunes will be made by many unless China swoops in and controls the area more than they already are trying.
Be also careful of the crime. Philippines currently has some very rough areas and the drug wars between the government and the people is all over the place.
Los Angeles · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
7y
@Randy Thomason do you and your wife have property in the Philippines, specifically Metro Manila? I'm looking for a reputable property management company to help me rent out a condo. So far from searching Google, I've seen Ayala and 81 Property Management that I liked so far.
Specialist · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 149 votes
7y
No we don't have anything in the Philippines currently. We feel its a little too rough for us currently and we have better opportunities elsewhere with less risk. But that is just us.
Rental Property Investor · Santa Rosa CA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 48 votes
7y
Wholeheartedly agree with Randy. SE Asia is a great place to invest if you are very careful and do your homework. His views on the region are spot on. I would work only with the best developers, property managers and double check everything. Referrals and recommendations from trusted sources are key.
I’m invested in Malaysia (KL and KK) and Thailand (Phuket) currently but have exited the Philippines. Bought two condos in Manila in 2014 and sold both in 2017 for a tidy profit. Both developed by Shang Properties. I would also trust Ayala Land who are a strong developer with a long track record. The rental yield can reach between 8-10% but I will tell you that even the best property managers will prove challenging to your sanity ! You do have to take on currency risk so be mindful of this.
I would also add what perhaps might be obvious. I would recommend investing in countries where you have family connections, retirement aspirations or frequent business travel. I personally wouldn’t invest in a country where I have no reason to go.
Rental Property Investor · Manila, NCR · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
7y
I am a Philippines Resident and Also an investor. Got 3 condominiums and bought them 4 yrs ago and we are still buying assets to increase our portfolio.
I believe foreigners can own up to 40% of the condo units per project.
Example: if the project has 2000 units, 800 units can be sold to foreigners.
If you want to buy in the Philippines, you have to buy from a reputable company.
Some of them - Ayala Land, Megaworld, DMCI, SMDC, Federal Land
Also, check the area where you are buying. The subway is being built so it's also a good idea to buy near subway stations
There's good upside in up and coming cities as well since prices are still low in these areas.
Just make sure that you are talking to people knowledgable in Real Estate in the Philippines so you can buy the right property for your portfolio.
also, I am just lucky that my mom is in the real estate business for 30 yrs so it's also advantageous to have mentors on your side.
I am a Philippines Resident and Also an investor. Got 3 condominiums and bought them 4 yrs ago and we are still buying assets to increase our portfolio.
I believe foreigners can own up to 40% of the condo units per project.
Example: if the project has 2000 units, 800 units can be sold to foreigners.
If you want to buy in the Philippines, you have to buy from a reputable company.
Some of them - Ayala Land, Megaworld, DMCI, SMDC, Federal Land
Also, check the area where you are buying. The subway is being built so it's also a good idea to buy near subway stations
There's good upside in up and coming cities as well since prices are still low in these areas.
Just make sure that you are talking to people knowledgable in Real Estate in the Philippines so you can buy the right property for your portfolio.
also, I am just lucky that my mom is in the real estate business for 30 yrs so it's also advantageous to have mentors on your side.
I realize these posts are from a few years ago, but I wanted to mention there are Ramada hotel suites in Thailand that you can purchase for under USD $60K and Ramada will rent out when you are not there for passive income. Yield is 8.87%. If you want to explore further, do let me know. I'll introduce you.