First round of direct mail.

Most Popular Reply

Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
9y

@Tiago Alencar

If you use a first class stamp on the first batch, the addresses that don't work will return undeliverable so you can harvest those leads by skip tracing or using other means to reach the owner.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · . · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 84 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar, how did you generate the list to market to?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 641 posts · 204 votes
    9y
    Wish you luck and congrats on taking action
  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar

    Congrats on getting started. Hope you mailed first class on your first batch to harvest the valuable bounces.

  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Allan Rosso I went to the county assessor building and explained to the receptionist what the list would consist of. She sent me first to the county treasurer and they sent me to the county attorneys office. There, they asked me to fill out a Grama request(keep in mind it might not be this way where you live) they told me to fill out the request making sure I was being really specific and that there might be a cost associated with it, which I was expecting after listening to podcast #39 with Seth Williams . After the request was turned in a received an email from one of the programmers that asked me a few more questions and told me how much it would be. I paid at the treasurers office and they emailed me the list on a xcel file with all the perimeters that I had asked for. I tried doing the same thing on the neighboring county and they would not do it. So learned it varies from county to county.
  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Ray Lai I have no clue what you mean by harvesting the bounce. Please explain.
  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar

    If you use a first class stamp on the first batch, the addresses that don't work will return undeliverable so you can harvest those leads by skip tracing or using other means to reach the owner.

  • Investor · . · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 84 votes
    9y
    Tiago Alencar I just listened to the podcast episode you mentioned (#39), and it was definitely full of awesome information. I'm going to implement that strategy and hopefully get some results. Let me know how your endeavor plays out, goodluck!
  • Investor · . · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 84 votes
    9y

    @Ray Lai so you're saying that undeliverable pieces of mail only come back if they were stamped first class? 

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar Not sure how much you paid the assessor for the lists, but most if not all of that information can be had by harvesting the websites.

  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Aaron Fowles thanks for your comment. that's what I'm going to have to do on the other county because they wouldn't create that list for me. The reason I decided to pay them (which wasn't much, less than $40 including chocolate for the cashiers) was that they were able to follow my guide lines using their system avoiding hours of online research and sifting through properties I wasn't interested in, and starting the relationship building with the ladies at the county office.
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar  Good stuff.  There are people who can help you sort through all that data (it's called website scraping).  

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Alencar Congratulations on succuessfully sending out mails.

    Quick question: were you able to identify local owners vs Out of state owners in the list you got? 

  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Hi Rohith Janga , yes part of the request that I made was to include the property address and the mailing address. Aaron Fowles I've head about those softwares do you have any recommendations?
  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Allan Rosso

    Correct, if you're using standard it just blackholes. But you shouldn't always use first class because it's a waste of money.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City , UT · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 92 votes
    8y

    @Tiago Alencar How is the direct mail going? What county did you do and how many mailers have you done? Im super excited for you!!

  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    Hi @Ericgardiner. @Eric I only sent 100 peaces but they were very targeted. So far no calls yet but I wasn't really expecting any since first round direct mail has a very low response rate. I'm going to be sending a different one this time around and see how it does. I'm also increasing my list size to 200. Sent them to Utah County.
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City , UT · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 92 votes
    8y

    @Tiago Alencar I assume you will hit the first 100 people a second time but just with a slightly different message. From what I have learned so far you need to hit the same people about 5 months in a row to get good response. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes
    8y
    Congrats! Is this for parcels of land only, or SFRs?
  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Springs, UT · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    That's right I'm planning on contacting them until February next year.
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tiago Alencar:

    Aaron Fowles thanks for your comment. that's what I'm going to have to do on the other county because they wouldn't create that list for me. The reason I decided to pay them (which wasn't much, less than $40 including chocolate for the cashiers) was that they were able to follow my guide lines using their system avoiding hours of online research and sifting through properties I wasn't interested in, and starting the relationship building with the ladies at the county office.

     What an awesome way to build the relationship! I'm sure they really appreciated that and will be even more helpful the next time you come there way.  

  • Investor · Lee's Summit, MO · Member since 2017 · 81 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    This is great info. Good for you.  I like hearing how you broke through to the first mailing. I am trying to get a good first list where I live.  I will try the courthouse next.  Ours is rural and pretty friendly. Yes, the ladies are the keepers. I think they work there for life.

  • Phillip LanierPro Member
    Uvalde, TX · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 45 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Tiago Alencar Not sure how much you paid the assessor for the lists, but most if not all of that information can be had by harvesting the websites.

     Who do you use?  I've hired a couple of scrapers off fiverr and the list was crap. There were a lot of missing data and the excel fields were all unorganized.  

    If possible, can you share your scraper person?  

    Thanks!

    Phillip Lanier 

  • Phillip LanierPro Member
    Uvalde, TX · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 45 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tiago Alencar:

    I sent out my first round of direct mail today for delinquent tax. I'm a little nervous. I'll post what happens

     Awesome!!!  I wish the best!!!!!

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    8y

    @Phillip Lanier  The mystery scraper is.......

    .....

    .....

    .....

    ....

    ME!

    I scrape specifically for real estate.

  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 490 votes
    8y
    Just get ready to deal with a slightly crazy demographic by mailing tax delinquents. You meet all types, and everyone has all different reasons for not paying their taxes....from they can’t afford it to the government is “illegally” imposing taxes on them and violating the constitution. Many of these people we found to be in outer space and it took a lot more time and energy to make a deal. It was a breath of fresh air when we shifted to working with rational people that were truly able and motivated to sell their properties.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.