What are you reading, right now?

What are you reading, right now?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey Folks,

I thought it would be interesting to share what book you are currently reading (or have just finished reading.)

It does not need to be real estate related.

If you want to share more information about it, feel free - but you don't have to.

(Also, please, no affiliate links! :) )

I'll start - I'm currently reading "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook" by Gary Vaynerchuk. It's not a Real Estate Investing book - but it has everything to do with running a successful business that deals with consumers. Specifically, it deals with social media and how people are presenting their companies to the world. Most companies simply "attack" all the time with a sales pitch (the right hook) but should instead focus on providing value (the Jab). Gary gives a TON of real-life examples of companies doing great (and terrible) social media outreach. I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially those who have a business that has a brand name to build or protect. Flippers, property management companies, large landlords, wholesalers, etc.

Alright, I started. Who's next?

What are you reading?

6Reply
652 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

After reading well over 100 real estate books including almost all mentioned in this thread, I learned there are only 4 ways to buy a piece of real estate;

cash, loans, trade, or any combo of the previous 3.

So, I don't read many real estate books any longer. I do enjoy motivational/self help and business topic books such as marketing, management, etc., but I've started reading classics that I've always wanted to tackle.

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo. At 1,250 pages, it was the longest book I've ever read and a real page turner even though it is more than 150 years old.

For business/self help I'm currently reading;

Leading and Inspired Life by Jim Rohn

Modern Persuasion Strategies by Donald Moine

Heat Up Your Cold Calls by George Walther

I also just finished The Go-Giver by Bob Burg & David Mann

Donald Trump once said he could tell how successful a person is by what three books he is reading and that is one of his favorite questions to ask someone when he meets them for the first time. So, if you are only reading one or two, up your game. Never know when you might bump into Mr. Trump.

Also, a strategy I heard recently, but can't recall who said it, is to buy all the books you hear about and add them to your library. If you read one from cover to cover, you won't remember most of it any way so there really isn't any point in doing so and there isn't enough time to read all the great books out there. It is better to build your library and randomly select books and chapters to read. Also, when you need help in a specific area, you will have your library available to you to do your research. I liked that idea so much I cash in some reward points from my credit card for Amazon gift cards and purchased 100 books from Amazon.

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Currently reading:

    Verbal Judo - The Gentle Art of Persuasion

    ...and The Camel Club by David Baldacci for pleasure.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Michael Seeker:
    Currently reading:

    Verbal Judo - The Gentle Art of Persuasion

    ...and The Camel Club by David Baldacci for pleasure.

    I just read Verbal Judo. Pretty good. I like how he would use slang like " 'preciate that". I've been doing that for years in the Class C neighborhood I work in. My wife will say I've spent too much time in the 'hood when I'm talking like an ex-con at home.

    Currently reading Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller. Pretty good so far.

  • Neah Bay, WA · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    I just started Gary Keller's The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:

    It's funny you mention that - I definitely speak differently when interacting with different people, but I've never really noticed if that has rubbed off in my personal life or not.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 354 posts · 90 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner Got a new idea for BP... Where is the suggestion box?

    You guys should create a Book Review store.

    Allow people to click "Finished Book" and leave a review... I want to know how the books affected the Reader's life.

    Heck, maybe create a BP book club! ha

    I'm currently reading 4-Hour Work Week, The Art of Talking to Anyone, The New Testament, my Realtor class book, and I just bought 4-Hour Chef =)

    What about Audio content!

    Spotify

    Earl Nightingale and Brian Tracy

    Apple Podcasts

    BiggerPockets and House Flipping HQ

  • Investor · El Paso/Socorro, TX · Member since 2012 · 365 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    Just finished "Rich Dad". Currently three real estate class books. I like the suggestion by @Taylor Jennings . I was also thinking about the lending available from Nooks and Kindles, maybe a registry of people willing to lend on those?

  • Investor/Syndicator · North Aurora, IL · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 70 votes
    12y

    "The Crash of 2016" by Thom Hartman, the plot to destroy America and what we can do to stop it.

    "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide To Real Estate Investing"

  • Engineer · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Just finished "Think and Grow Rich" and "Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads" (Larry Loftis). Although both are books that you never really "finish" reading. I love picking up either book and reading a random chapter or two.

    "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is in the mail and will be my next read...looking forward to it.

  • Realtor · Ventura County, CA · Member since 2012 · 126 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    Just finished The One Thing by Gary Keller.

    Getting started on Powerhouse Principles by Jorge Perez.

  • Rental Property Investor · Whitsett, NC · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    I'm just getting started with reading "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor"...

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Recent reads:

    Necessary Endings--Henry Cloud, recommended on a recent BP podcast

    Enemies of the Heart -- Andy Stanley

    The Advantage-- Patrick Lencioni

    The Bible

    Restaurant Owners Uncorked

  • Wholesaler · Belleville, IL · Member since 2009 · 206 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell

    very roughly - Campbell spent decades studying the various mythologies of the world throughout the ages and discovered a universal "path" which he called "the Hero's Journey" and this book helps us find out what that path is and how we are all the hero of our own lives. I've barely scratched the surface but so far its an inspiring and insightful read.

    "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" by Joe Dispenza

    A study of how we become who we are and how we can make lasting changes.

    He's a chiropractor and "...His postgraduate training covered neurology, neuroscience, brain function and chemistry, cellular biology, memory formation, and aging and longevity." He was featured in the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?!" as well.

  • Jamane Y.Pro Member
    Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    12y
    Millionaire women next door and The Accidental Entrepreneur: 50 things I wish someone had told me about starting a business
  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    "Richest Man in Babylon" ... Thanks to BP for introducing me to it :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Swansea, MA · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    The ONE Thing, Gary Keller. Great read, provides tools to be more productive.
  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    12y

    "It's a Whole New Business" by Gene Trowbridge is next. Borrowing it from a friend.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner I think you should get Gary Keller to do a podcast. He would have to agree considering that he's making a (bleep)ton of cash off this thread.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:
    @Brandon Turner I think you should get Gary Keller to do a podcast. He would have to agree considering that he's making a (bleep)ton of cash off this thread.

    And with a million total downloads, he'd have a big audience. I think he's beef mentioned a lot more than Kiyosaki in this thread.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    Currently reading 'Losing My Virginity' by Richard Branson and 'Inspecting a House - Third Edition' by Carson Dunlop & Associates. Also have a giant list in Asana (my preferred task management tool) that I'm slowly making my way through, largely in part because I copy every book suggestion from the BP podcast show notes... Although every time I check off a book it seems like three more take its place...
  • Investor · Middletown, DE · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    I'm reading 9 habits of highly successful real estate investors by Ken E. Boutilier! Good read!
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Marcel Duarte:
    Currently reading 'Losing My Virginity' by Richard Branson and 'Inspecting a House - Third Edition' by Carson Dunlop & Associates. Also have a giant list in Asana (my preferred task management tool) that I'm slowly making my way through, largely in part because I copy every book suggestion from the BP podcast show notes... Although every time I check off a book it seems like three more take its place...

    Welcome to BP, Marcel. What have you learned from Branson?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    12y
    I currently have millionaire real estate investor, the millionaire next door and everything you need to know about cash flow on my nightstand. Each night I'll pick up where I left off on what ever book I fee like reading that night.
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    12y

    Currently 'Letters From A Stoic' by Seneca

    Recently 'The (Mis) Behavior of Markets' by Benoit Mandelbrot, 'Keynes Way To Wealth' by John Wasik, 'The Signal and The Noise' by Nate Silver.

    I follow about 300 sources of news about the multifamily sector, commercial real estate, finance, the economy. For instance this piece from Hessam Nadji, head of research at Marcus & Millichap just came in:

    http://www.globest.com/news/12_784/national/multifamily/MMI-Value-Add-Apts-Will-Draw-More-Interest-342176.html?ET=globest:e41861:296120a:&st=email&s=&cmp=gst:Multifamily_20140129:editorial

    And of course multifamily related posts on BP.

    About every other month I reread Frank Gallinelli's 'Ten Commandments For Real Estate' just as a reminder. It's a quick read but it contains the essential concepts for analyzing deals and the people you're dealing with.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:
    Originally posted by @Marcel Duarte:
    Currently reading 'Losing My Virginity' by Richard Branson and 'Inspecting a House - Third Edition' by Carson Dunlop & Associates. Also have a giant list in Asana (my preferred task management tool) that I'm slowly making my way through, largely in part because I copy every book suggestion from the BP podcast show notes... Although every time I check off a book it seems like three more take its place...

    Welcome to BP, Marcel. What have you learned from Branson?

    Thanks Jon! Been a long time fan of BP, just recently hit me that there's so much more to be gained by getting involved.

    Ironically (considering this is a thread about reading), Branson's autobiography has taught me the value of putting the books down and taking a "Screw it, let's do it" attitude. There's only so much you can do to educate yourself before you have to figure things out by taking action. Also another big lesson is that you'll probably have a greater chance to be extraordinary in your endeavors if you enjoy doing them.

    It's definitely a fun read, highly recommend it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.