What are you reading, right now?

What are you reading, right now?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey Folks,

I thought it would be interesting to share what book you are currently reading (or have just finished reading.)

It does not need to be real estate related.

If you want to share more information about it, feel free - but you don't have to.

(Also, please, no affiliate links! :) )

I'll start - I'm currently reading "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook" by Gary Vaynerchuk. It's not a Real Estate Investing book - but it has everything to do with running a successful business that deals with consumers. Specifically, it deals with social media and how people are presenting their companies to the world. Most companies simply "attack" all the time with a sales pitch (the right hook) but should instead focus on providing value (the Jab). Gary gives a TON of real-life examples of companies doing great (and terrible) social media outreach. I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially those who have a business that has a brand name to build or protect. Flippers, property management companies, large landlords, wholesalers, etc.

Alright, I started. Who's next?

What are you reading?

6Reply
690 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

After reading well over 100 real estate books including almost all mentioned in this thread, I learned there are only 4 ways to buy a piece of real estate;

cash, loans, trade, or any combo of the previous 3.

So, I don't read many real estate books any longer. I do enjoy motivational/self help and business topic books such as marketing, management, etc., but I've started reading classics that I've always wanted to tackle.

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo. At 1,250 pages, it was the longest book I've ever read and a real page turner even though it is more than 150 years old.

For business/self help I'm currently reading;

Leading and Inspired Life by Jim Rohn

Modern Persuasion Strategies by Donald Moine

Heat Up Your Cold Calls by George Walther

I also just finished The Go-Giver by Bob Burg & David Mann

Donald Trump once said he could tell how successful a person is by what three books he is reading and that is one of his favorite questions to ask someone when he meets them for the first time. So, if you are only reading one or two, up your game. Never know when you might bump into Mr. Trump.

Also, a strategy I heard recently, but can't recall who said it, is to buy all the books you hear about and add them to your library. If you read one from cover to cover, you won't remember most of it any way so there really isn't any point in doing so and there isn't enough time to read all the great books out there. It is better to build your library and randomly select books and chapters to read. Also, when you need help in a specific area, you will have your library available to you to do your research. I liked that idea so much I cash in some reward points from my credit card for Amazon gift cards and purchased 100 books from Amazon.

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Currently reading Lifeonaire - about the importance of making living a priority over money.

    Next up reread The Entrepreneur Trap - great book on focusing what is important in Business.

    After that finish The One Thing - I lost my copy before finishing it. Fantastic book about the importance and how to focus on your most important tasks.

    Hmmm, seems to be a common theme on those - Focus

  • Involved In Real Estate · Mc Kinney, TX · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    I just realized that my real estate agent gave me The MIllionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, when I met with him a couple weeks back. From the responses on this thread, I better crack it open.

  • Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    I just finished reading the Millionaire FastLane by MJ DeMarco.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Just finished Mastery by Robert Greene

    Spark, the revelutionary new science of exercise and the brain by John J. Ratey. This has prompted me to start cardio exercising again because of the benifits not only on our health but its positive effects on the brain.

    currently reading Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammer

  • Investor · Beaver, PA · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    12y
    The 80/20 Principle by Richard Koch Good stuff!
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Currently reading "The Millionaire next door"

  • Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2013 · 63 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    Reading a book about raising chickens in the backyard that I got for Christmas. I love to garden (flowers and vegetables) and raising my own eggs and roasters sounded like a logical extension. There is more to life than making money and real estate. You have to relax somehow.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @John Southard:

    currently reading Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammer

    I just got this one for my birthday. What do you think?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Armstrong:
    I just realized that my real estate agent gave me The MIllionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, when I met with him a couple weeks back. From the responses on this thread, I better crack it open.

    It's one of the best. I'm surprised at how many in this thread are reading it now.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I am reading "The Road to Serfdom" by F.A. Hayek, excellent read so far but incredibly tough. It is also not a real estate book, but the more I can understand economic theory and philosophy, the better.

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I am reading "Family Fortunes - How to build family wealth and hold on to it for 100 years" by Bill Bonner and Will Bonner.

    So far it is an excellent book for thinkers who like to plan. I will say, the best part of the whole book so far has been there insistence on learning to deprive yourself of a little satisfaction now, so your family can benefit later. Like planting an oak tree today so your great-grandchildren can sit in the shade.

    I recommend it to any entrepreneur or investor who is truly trying to build generational wealth or a generational business.

  • Investor · Glastonbury, CT · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Currently reading:

    The Book on Flipping Houses

    The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs

    Modern Real Estate Practice & CT Real Estate Practice and Law

  • Real Estate Investor · Central, TX · Member since 2012 · 479 posts · 165 votes
    12y

    "Sit, Walk, Stand" by Watchman Nee.

    "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken

  • Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
    12y

    I just finished listening to the 4 Hour Workweek on audio-book. I get where the author is coming from but the book is just "alright" in my opinion.

  • Chino, CA · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    I am currently reading Rich dad's Guide to investing. Great book!

  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    I will be finishing Chris Gardner's "Start Where You Are", which was his follow up book from his "Pursuit of Happyness". Thus far I love this book, because the message is to use your current network and your life experiences to move forward and expand your business and life potential. I think this is a book I will come back to throughout my life for refreshers on believing in my own abilities.

  • Landlord · Everett, WA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Love is the Killer App. Great book about learning, passing it on, and selflessly sharing.
  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner undefined

    Thank you for creating this topic. I love books, and this has given me a wealth of new material to delve into.

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    12y

    Most recent reads in order

    The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg

    Checklist Manifesto, Dr. Atul Gawande's

    The One Thing, Gary Kellor

    Shark Tales, How I turned 1,000 into a billion $ business, Barbara Corcoran

    80/20 Manager , Richard Koch

    Audio, Currently in rotation while I am driving

    80/20 Principle, Richard Koch

    Unique Genuis, Dan Sullivan

    How the Best get Better, Dan Sullivan

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Beach:
    Love is the Killer App. Great book about learning, passing it on, and selflessly sharing.

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Joshua!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lewiston, ME · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Rich dad poor dad. Amazing book I couldn't put it down.
  • Insurance Agent · AZ · Member since 2013 · 306 posts · 161 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner Love, Love, LOVE, Gary V! I can't wait to read his new one.

    Currently, I'm reading: Secrets For Closing The Sale by Zig Ziglar, and re-reading,

    Book Yourself Solid, by Michael Port.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus I am enjoying Things that Matter. Krauthammer is an excellent writer and his psychiatry background gives him a unique take on things. I agree with a lot of what he says but not everything. If you are conservative you will like it. If liberal not so much although he does back up most of his ideas on reasoning that will at least make you think a little.

  • Contractor · Chebeague Island, ME · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    "Blood Meridian" by Cormac MacCarthy Everything I've read by this guy is fantastic.
  • Real Estate Agent · Stilwell, OK · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Just finished The advanced guide to real estate investing And just started getting things done the art of stress free productivity.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.