Hi Everyone,
Last night I went to a real estate invest presentation.
I responded to an ad on Craig’s list and was invited to a presentation. The presenter was really entertaining, he went over the company (Renatus), offered courses that would help to educate potential investors for a fee (between $2K - $15K depending on the your course selection). The program is designed to walk new investors through different real estate tractions with an experienced investor. It was presented like a win-win...
My question is, have anyone heard of this company? I have done some research and I am finding mixed reviews. This idea of a one stop shop is appealing, but I don’t want to put myself in a hole falling for a gimmick.
Please help …
Hi Marisa,
I may catch some flak for this, on this site. I'm a current Renatus student in Chicago, based at the same Downer's Grove office you probably visited. I've just been a student for a little over a month. I believe, personally, that it's the right fit for me. But I'm not going to say that everyone/anyone NEEDS a Renatus education to succeed in Real Estate. It's true as other posters have stated, that that there is a LOT of information right here in the BiggerPockets community. In fact, I usually listed to BP podcasts on my Thursday commutes to the office for study groups.
What Renatus and the Downers Grove office study groups give me are the comprehensive, structured education, followed through in study groups, and a community of students and mentors who have gone through the classes and have gone on to make a number of successful deals. There is a group accountability to complete the classes, there are discussion groups to make sure concepts are covered, there are regular events (these events are NOT visiting "gurus" whose appearance is aimed at selling additional products).
You would be with people whom you will be in a 'graduating class' with, have had education together with in study groups, and will be able to do deals with. I've gotten to know several of the other students and instructors pretty well in the short time I've been with them. There are a number of other activities hosted by the Downers Grove office: Today after work I visited a fix and flip in Barrington that's about to go on the market - where Renatus students who participated are going to make a ton of money. After that, I traveled down to Downers Grove and in a small group I played the Cash Flow 101 game. This is a "Rich Dad" product aimed at training you how to think about real estate investments at a broad level. (Other Chicagoland REIA's also host "Cash Flow nights" for the same purpose).
If you do not pursue Renatus education, you can find communities of Chicago investors through REIA groups, including Meetups which are listed here. I'm sure Brie Schmidt has already reached out to you if you have made an introduction here, and she can probably steer you to her REIA group. If you tend to work better with some structured education and with a group of people who will motivate you, hold you accountable, and keep you from procrastinating, and if you can commit to traveling to the Downer's Grove office on at least a weekly basis (Thursday nights), then Renatus may be a good fit for you, at the $2k "Essentials" level.
Renatus DOES have an education marketing side, which is completely optional. Myself, I'm not focusing on that. In fact, when I was first introduced to Renatus, the education marketing side gave me red flags, since I perceived it to be a MLM. I like to steer far away from MLM's and have had a couple MLM's pitched at me which I've declined in the past. I feel education marketing is 180 degrees from what I want to do. But I can understand their argument that you need to learn to market to be successful in real estate anyway -- whether it's marketing yourself, your abilities, your properties for wholesale, for rent, for sale, etc. The company's arguments for giving students the option to market its education are: 1) it keeps the money in the community where it can be reinvested rather than sending it to ad agencies or other advertising vehicles, 2) It allows students another mode of cash flow so they can build an operating/investing budget with which to start their RE investing 3) It helps train students to become salespeople, and this discipline is valuable in real estate.
I personally think that Renatus' idea to market the education this way also gives them a terrible image problem, considering that I resisted the first opportunity to join because I checked up on Renatus online and concluded it was an MLM scam, and you can see that there are many who bring up the "MLM" label in regard to the education sales. I personally am not focused on selling the Renatus education. You'll see that I do not have any kind of link in my bio or in this message pointing you at any kind of place you can register. In fact, this post is the first time I have ever mentioned the company on Bigger Pockets.
Whatever your decision, I wish you all the luck in your investing career. If you sign up, I will NOT get a commission based on your decision - that would go to the person who recruited you through the Craigslist ad.
For those who want to know what types of investments are not allowed in self-directed IRAs and self-directed solo 401k plans visit the following link.
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-IRAs-Investments
Hi Marisa
I also attended the Renatus meetings in NYC a few years back. And I too remember the fast talking pitch person that @Shvonne refers to. He had a great memory and was great remembering everyone's name. That's a great asset when you're selling something, but that is getting off topic altogether!
I don't know if the company is still structured the same way, but at the time they acted as an MLM company where members can either pay for their levels education on their own or recruit other members to join to help fund their education/membership. The person who organized the meeting through Meet Up got tons of new members this way, most likely to finance his education.
I joined on the lowest level of membership - no recruiting on my part. Soon I was asked to attend the weekly presentations. So I did. And when the fast talker was going through his spiel to all the newbies in the room, he pointed me and "and she's doing deals." Mind you...I had only been to my 3rd meeting at that point and he was selling me to the gullible folks there as one of their success stories, exactly what happened to me weeks before!
Can't vouch for what they're up to now, but my advice would be to STAY ON BIGGER POCKETS. There are tons of real deal makers hanging out on this site willing to share & teach, NOT RECRUIT!
Take care :)
Debra that is YOUR truth... and MY truth is that I have done very well... my family is better off than I was when I started with no experience or knowledge and today as you said... I own apartment buildings... why is it so wrong that some of us did well and love it... why is it so wrong?... What makes you so spiteful that we are doing well and can tie that to Renatus... so much so that folks like me... who started much like you... end up doing SO WELL that we now endorse the product... is that wrong?... What I call endorsement of a product that changed my life you call spin... because you are not having the same experience as I am doesn't diminish my experience... it is my reality... I can't say enough about the help and support I got... and continue to get... that is my TRUTH... your's is different and I will never apologize to you for my experience... I have given you as many hours as the successful students... I called you today and you didn't call me back... I'm trying to help you have the same kind of experience that I have had but you seem determined to remain spiteful and unavailable... you are one of hundreds of people we have ENDORESED the product to and we are still here...
as far as APS... again I am in the same boat as you... they were so good for so long that even I have a problem there... so... lets get on the same side of the table on that one... I don't know why you would have moved a self directed IRA to another self directed situation... you never called me to get my advice... You have never called me....
And yes the guy managing the properties also did a poor job... so we simply found better management... there a solution... these are Real estate investing issues I have dealt with my whole career... things that merely require a solution... find a solution and move on... that is why some become successful and stay successful... no?
Ok... now... call me... if you want to yell... I'll listen... in the end... every equation is balanced by it's solution... let me help you find yours.... NO ONE has to do Renatus... it was a choice I made and LOVED it... don't know where my family and I would be without it... is it WRONG that I have had that experience... should I close up shop because you didn't have the SAME experience out of over 10,000 people/students... what do you suggest I do?.. call me I'll listen to your solution!
For those who want to know what types of investments are not allowed in self-directed IRAs and self-directed solo 401k plans visit the following link.
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-IRAs-Investments
Great document, and I love that it calls out RE by name as acceptable, I work for a self-directed IRA custodian and it's something a lot of clients don't realize is allowed. The document is missing one prohibited asset, you cannot buy shares of a S-Corporation in an IRA either, not sure how that was left out of this document.
Adam
Debra that is YOUR truth... and MY truth is that I have done very well... my family is better off than I was when I started with no experience or knowledge and today as you said... I own apartment buildings... why is it so wrong that some of us did well and love it... why is it so wrong?... What makes you so spiteful that we are doing well and can tie that to Renatus... so much so that folks like me... who started much like you... end up doing SO WELL that we now endorse the product... is that wrong?... What I call endorsement of a product that changed my life you call spin... because you are not having the same experience as I am doesn't diminish my experience... it is my reality... I can't say enough about the help and support I got... and continue to get... that is my TRUTH... your's is different and I will never apologize to you for my experience... I have given you as many hours as the successful students... I called you today and you didn't call me back... I'm trying to help you have the same kind of experience that I have had but you seem determined to remain spiteful and unavailable... you are one of hundreds of people we have ENDORESED the product to and we are still here...
as far as APS... again I am in the same boat as you... they were so good for so long that even I have a problem there... so... lets get on the same side of the table on that one... I don't know why you would have moved a self directed IRA to another self directed situation... you never called me to get my advice... You have never called me....
And yes the guy managing the properties also did a poor job... so we simply found better management... there a solution... these are Real estate investing issues I have dealt with my whole career... things that merely require a solution... find a solution and move on... that is why some become successful and stay successful... no?
Ok... now... call me... if you want to yell... I'll listen... in the end... every equation is balanced by it's solution... let me help you find yours.... NO ONE has to do Renatus... it was a choice I made and LOVED it... don't know where my family and I would be without it... is it WRONG that I have had that experience... should I close up shop because you didn't have the SAME experience out of over 10,000 people/students... what do you suggest I do?.. call me I'll listen to your solution!
Hey Scott,
You're fighting a losing battle here, although I completely agree with you. Most people on BP are very anti-guru, I have posted several times that I don't understand why. I look at gurus just like any other professional you would hire to teach you, or perform a service for you. Granted RE gurus are a little more miss than hit, but there are bad CPAs, Doctors, Attorneys, etc out there that people hire every day, and their entire profession doesn't get a bad rap, ok maybe attorneys :-)
At the end of the day I think there are 4 main reasons BP members hate Gurus
1) They have been ripped off before
2) They think if they had to learn the hard way, you should too
3) They feel its a waste of money for information that you can easily find for free
4) They are mad that you will pay someone else for advice, when you wont listen to them for free.
1 can be said for any profession. Almost everyone has gotten terrible service or felt they have been ripped off at some point in their life. I had to fire my CPA awhile ago because he was charging me out the nose, and doing a terrible job. I didn't do my taxes myself this year cursing every CPA who ever lived, I found a better CPA. Same thing with 3, laws for every possible jurisdiction you would encounter are pretty accessible online, that doesn't mean I wouldn't hire an attorney, just because information is free, doesn't mean that everyone can interpret that information effectively.
2 & 4 are just spite haha.
Adam
Full disclosure: I have no affiliation, or interest, in any guru program, scheme, flim-flam, scam, arrangement, system, organization, conspiracy, swindle, hoodwink or hi-jinks.
Good point about the IRS not mentioning in the following link
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-IRAs-Investments
that an IRA cannot be a shareholder in an S-Corp. I presume they did not mention it in this link because it is an S-Corporation restriction not an IRA restriction.
Scott Rowe,
Yes, you have done very well. I am not bothered by that or spiteful as you put it. I love capitalism, but that you really make your money through the marketing, period. Yes, I am sure you have real estate, good for you. My only point in my post is that someone asked about it and I'm giving my experience. And the truth is, once you get in you just want us to market the education. You were a peddler, those are your words, that's what you did. I am not. I never was a peddler. And I got in it for the education. I thought "mentor" was that I was going to have a mentor to help me do real estate. But after I signed up I realized that "mentor" was mentoring me to sell the education, period. And when I bought the "combo" I was supposed to get six private coaching sessions. Well, I only got four and I was told that I only had a limited amount of time to get the six coaching sessions, but she did say she would do it and we set up several appointments but they never happened, I waited for the call that I never got, so I only got four private coaching sessions, which, in my opinion, should be at any time during your two years so that as you get started you can ask questions of an instructor. You sell the education but there are people, and I know you know this, that only do the marketing. That's the income stream. I was told that by one of the top earners, but will not drop a name. And there were a few others, too. And for these it's not real estate. And I am also in a different part of the country and real estate is local. It's an area with not a lot of people and real estate is expensive. And I have met people in a small, local REI group who do a lot of RE, wholesaling, flipping, and they all learned on the Internet and some of them even mentor people. So no one needs Renatus to learn real estate. What you need is money. And all I am trying to do is give people the truth of what you're getting into, that you have to be a good marketer to make the money, to cash flow on the 5 percent you get from your "team" members. So please tell me what part of that is not true? And if marketing is not your thing, then it's not. I haven't tried to recruit people recently because I have a guilty conscience doing it. I just can't ask people to get stuck like I did. And I even told my mentor that a long time ago, that I feel like I'm selling a lie. And you also know that you have to actually buy the education to make money, so as someone wrote selling to make money to buy the education is false. As you say Scott, I never saw anyone become certified that didn't buy the education... So at least tell the truth of what it's about.
So you got stuck with APS too. Well, did you know all that stuff about the guy? Did Bob Snyder question this guy's lifestyle? I am sure to those who knew him the handwriting was on the wall, at least at the end. Sorry, but I am the stupid consumer and Bob Snyder should have vetted this guy. Maybe you will learn not to push people one way or the other to buy this service or that. You really shouldn't, stick to Renatus. And whoever asked the question about my self-directed IRA I was in and how I didn't know, I thought it was one that I could only buy gold in. I didn't know I could buy anything. But I can assure you the people working at APS knew that and should have asked that question to me, why would you want to move your money if you're in a self-directed IRA. Again, you can call me stupid if you want, but, let's face it, a lot of people don't understand all that stuff about investing, etc., whether it's a traditional IRA or not. I actually did think to call the one I was in and ask them, but I just thought it was different, that I couldn't use the money to buy real estate in the one I was in. I am not saying Scott Rowe or Bob Snyder knew, but the APS people knew.
So Scott, you make your money on the overflow, so please just admit that. Sure you have real estate. You're in Chicago, you're a deal maker, and you know how to sell. You sold, you built a team, and you have the money to invest. You have deals in Chicago, good for you. I am glad for you. But all you care about is getting more people selling because that's how you make your six-figure income, cash flow income, on the overrides. The real estate is your investment for your kids and grandkids. Great. But at least tell the whole truth. Let people get in with their eyes wide open, make it fair. Then, if people want to market, have at it. But I will always tell the truth of my experience, just my experience. You have yours and I have mine.
And, Adam, I don't know who you are, but please don't think you know me because you don't. I have worked very hard all my life. I wanted something so that I could move to Florida. I looked into many things. This is the biggest thing that I got into and it was a mistake for me. I am not a peddler or marketer. That's who Renatus is for. So keep your opinions about me to yourself.
I just want people to know that if you're good at marketing you can make money. But if you just want the education, there's lots of places to get that from. Join a local REI group. And Scott, please stop calling me spiteful or whatever, because you don't know me either. Again, I am all for people making a lot of money and for the government getting as little as possible. I am a conservative, not a progressive liberal. I hope you make 2 million next year. This has nothing to do with you, but you would like it to be. It's only about getting the truth out and letting people make a decision based on that. Look for people like Mike Adams, that's the people that you need. Salespeople and marketers..............
And the guy managing the properties is still around and had I bought a property I would have lost everything.....glad I didn't...I know people who lost on that deal..................
Good point about the IRS not mentioning in the following link
http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-IRAs-Investments
that an IRA cannot be a shareholder in an S-Corp. I presume they did not mention it in this link because it is an S-Corporation restriction not an IRA restriction.
At the risk of contributing to what may have been a thread hijacking by us self directed guys, Mark is correct. An S-Corp is not technically a prohibited asset, though an IRA's investment into one causes the S-Corp to lose its subchapter S status.
Bob Synder is the CEO of Renatus and I think he has no control over how his Students sell his Product nor does he care as long has he keeps collecting the money.
@Shvonne C. Good Morning,
You described it just as I experienced it. I am disappointed to say the least because I was really excited about having a mentor. I want avoid making huge mistakes, but I know that this forum, podcast and meet up events should guide me in the right direction.
You don't really get a real estate mentor. The mentor is to help you "sell" the education. I wish I had asked that question before putting up the money which it is 20k now.
Debra that is YOUR truth... and MY truth is that I have done very well... my family is better off than I was when I started with no experience or knowledge and today as you said... I own apartment buildings... why is it so wrong that some of us did well and love it... why is it so wrong?... What makes you so spiteful that we are doing well and can tie that to Renatus... so much so that folks like me... who started much like you... end up doing SO WELL that we now endorse the product... is that wrong?... What I call endorsement of a product that changed my life you call spin... because you are not having the same experience as I am doesn't diminish my experience... it is my reality... I can't say enough about the help and support I got... and continue to get... that is my TRUTH... your's is different and I will never apologize to you for my experience... I have given you as many hours as the successful students... I called you today and you didn't call me back... I'm trying to help you have the same kind of experience that I have had but you seem determined to remain spiteful and unavailable... you are one of hundreds of people we have ENDORESED the product to and we are still here...
as far as APS... again I am in the same boat as you... they were so good for so long that even I have a problem there... so... lets get on the same side of the table on that one... I don't know why you would have moved a self directed IRA to another self directed situation... you never called me to get my advice... You have never called me....
And yes the guy managing the properties also did a poor job... so we simply found better management... there a solution... these are Real estate investing issues I have dealt with my whole career... things that merely require a solution... find a solution and move on... that is why some become successful and stay successful... no?
Ok... now... call me... if you want to yell... I'll listen... in the end... every equation is balanced by it's solution... let me help you find yours.... NO ONE has to do Renatus... it was a choice I made and LOVED it... don't know where my family and I would be without it... is it WRONG that I have had that experience... should I close up shop because you didn't have the SAME experience out of over 10,000 people/students... what do you suggest I do?.. call me I'll listen to your solution!
Hey Scott,
You're fighting a losing battle here, although I completely agree with you. Most people on BP are very anti-guru, I have posted several times that I don't understand why. I look at gurus just like any other professional you would hire to teach you, or perform a service for you. Granted RE gurus are a little more miss than hit, but there are bad CPAs, Doctors, Attorneys, etc out there that people hire every day, and their entire profession doesn't get a bad rap, ok maybe attorneys :-)
At the end of the day I think there are 4 main reasons BP members hate Gurus
1) They have been ripped off before
2) They think if they had to learn the hard way, you should too
3) They feel its a waste of money for information that you can easily find for free
4) They are mad that you will pay someone else for advice, when you wont listen to them for free.
1 can be said for any profession. Almost everyone has gotten terrible service or felt they have been ripped off at some point in their life. I had to fire my CPA awhile ago because he was charging me out the nose, and doing a terrible job. I didn't do my taxes myself this year cursing every CPA who ever lived, I found a better CPA. Same thing with 3, laws for every possible jurisdiction you would encounter are pretty accessible online, that doesn't mean I wouldn't hire an attorney, just because information is free, doesn't mean that everyone can interpret that information effectively.
2 & 4 are just spite haha.
Adam
Full disclosure: I have no affiliation, or interest, in any guru program, scheme, flim-flam, scam, arrangement, system, organization, conspiracy, swindle, hoodwink or hi-jinks.
If you said the truth you would know that many students do NOT have the same success as Scott or others. Some do. The ones who don't are screwed. I almost got into it but my friend who did regrets it.
Hi Marisa:
I have no knowledge of Renatus so can't comment on that. I would suggest listening to ALL of the BP podcasts, even if you don't think the topic will apply to what you may want to do. The presenters are experienced investors and you will learn all kinds of worthy tidbits. I find them to be very motivational….I wait for them to be released every week.
@Jon Holdman Yes, yes and yes... I do not want to be that "gullible newbie" spending thousands of dollars just to end up with nothing (literally). I like the fact that this forum is here. I would have went back on Monday for the follow up...
Marisa,
I heard of Renatus. They have a system in place to newbies in the industry especially those who are a little hesitant about taking the first step in real estate investing. Since you practice due diligence, you will be able to locate a lot of information on Biggerpockets.
I have to stand up for my community here. First off I have the top package and I love the education, I love the people, and I love being a part of this community. It is like a second family to me. Secondly my mentor Ed Kirch has been in real estate for 40 years and is helping our team do deals on a regular basis. Most deals are done with no money down from us because of the relationships with private money lenders we have created with the group. I have also partnered with a few gentlemen in our community to start a retail real estate brokerage, Inspire Realty Partners and again because of the relationships we have created at Renatus we have an unlimited amount of leads and business. Our brokerage is now the second largest brokerage in Aurora IL with 33 agents after only 6 months and we are continually growing. Can you learn how to do real estate investing on your own or at the library? Absolutely you can but are you going to have experienced investors to ask questions to when you get stuck? Does the library have all the books you need in the order you need them and all in one place? How much money do you think people lose trying to "learn" real estate investing on their own, because I have talked to dozens of people in our community who have been investing before they joined and 99% of them say that they have lost more money making mistakes than what our education cost. The education is to prepare you, help you avoid common mistakes people make, and set you up to be successful starting with your first deal. Lastly I would like to speak to the people who hate on our marketing side of our business and the "Nouveau Riche" people. 1. IT IS OPTIONAL, no one is making you do the marketing so if you have a problem with it don't f*$#ing do it. 2. If you have worked as a marketer for our company and did not make any money who's fault is that? Our system works we have thousands of people making substantial money on the referral side, for the complainers who don't make any money have you always been a complainer, do you have any people skills at all, do you have a job now? Honestly not everyone is cut out to be a professional sales person some people can do it and others simply can't, so if you are having trouble generating leads, following up with them, or closing maybe you should get a job at McDonalds or Wall Mart because that will most likely better suit your skill level. 3. Renatus is not "Nouveau Riche" end of discussion. It simply comes down to a decision, take in the information that we provide for FREE, check out our FREE property tours, come to our $50 two day workshops, come to a bar b que, picnic, or any other event that we host together and check us out before you make a decision base on someone else's opinion. And if its not for you that's great! Enjoy your life and be happy! Thanks everyone I hope this helps.
marketing is optional but that's how people make their money for the most part which I was told that by a Fab member.
If you can't market you will fail. It's for type A personalities
Most people do make their money to start investing by marketing I will give you that. Its a lot easier than trying to put together a real estate deal if you have never done one before and its quicker. Also it prepares you for marketing and selling your deals, I mean if you can't sell a $2,000 education how do you ever plan on getting a buyer for your $200,000 fix and flip. There are people who start wholesaling and build up enough income to do bigger deals, also some people join just to learn and have enough money to do deals but just don't know how to. There are a few different ways to do it I guess it really depends on your situation. The thing that irritates me is people just bash our program because they failed at it. I mean if you get fired from a job do you go online and start bashing that place because you didn't cut it there. I see it as an investment you control, your investing in yourself and if you don't believe in yourself then stick to working for someone else. It's more personal for me but that's just my A type personality I guess!
the point is that they sell you real estate investing but it's about marketing the education is my only point so it's a hook. They should just be honest about it and a person can make a decision based on facts not on a deception. Good for you that you make it. Ask about how many that don't. There is a lot...
Hi & good evening everyone!
I am using every resource possible to get in touch -- DIRECTLY, with Scott Rowe...on my phone! Debra Vance, If you have his number can you PLEASE shoot him a text to let him know I HAVE TO HEAR FROM HIM!? And it might help to hear from you as well. I may have a theory in place for this business.
Hope to hear back from someone soon!
~Jacqueline
• Not sure if my phone is listed? Let me know and I'll shoot it right to you if I need to.
Thanks!
I've been with Renatus for over a year and a half now. The education is great, the program works, and the support combined with available resources is unreal. In my first 6 months I was able to raise 70k in corporate credit lines at 0% interests for 12-18 months and shortly after that I started receiving check book lines with 3% check cashing fees. Literally the cheapest money you can obtain. About another 6 months later I co founded a brokerage with some investors from the group, Inspire Realty Partners. We started in February of 2015 and are currently up to about 40 agents. We are also looking to expand our brokerage into other states, we are talking with a brokerage in Tennessee, Philadelphia, and two others in California. About 3 months ago I partnered with Bishop Lance Davis in Dolton IL who was looking for someone to help him improve his community. We are now in the funding stage of this community development project and will have it up and running within 30 days. This project will be a turnkey investment and private lender project giving returns of 9%-14% depending on your level of involvement. I would be happy to talk to anyone about my experience with the Renatus, some of the things I've accomplished, and maybe partnering on deals! Renatus works.... Do you?
My sister-in-law purchased the Renatus education and she absolutely loves it. She hasn't tried to market it but said so far it has saved her in taxes far more than the education costs and she bought the $20k package. I was seriously considering buying the education for my son and myself, (you get to enroll 2 people for that cost) but after finding bigger pockets, I have not felt as strong a draw. There just seems to be everything I need here. You need to dig for it but I am a researcher by heart so not a big deal. For people that would like everything neatly laid out for them it seems like it would be a good investment. It is cheaper than a college education and you could easily earn that back in one deal. Just my two cents.
Oh, here comes the new wave of advocates, I can hear the phone calls:
Member's Alert, Operation Stand Up in effect on Bigger Pockets, Guru review thread. LOL
I don't have any idea what the material is.
I do know, it's the knowledge and experience of the instructor you get in any "education".
I also know that most teachers in real estate are about as current with legal matters as the were about ten years ago.
I've noticed too that some of the dumbest statements I've heard on BP have come from "instructors".
Seems what drives the price isn't the content, it's the chain of members or instructors, much like Amway. I don't know if they draw circles and diamonds.
If folks were just a bit entrepreneurial, seems to me groups could still have the same networking abilities to learn and participate in deals without the instructor or their material. There are lots of attorneys, CPAs, experienced Brokers, title folks, bankers, loan officers, appraisers and real professionals that are generally willing to address groups. If you looked hard enough, I'd bet you could even find qualified instructors by education and experience who were current on topics to teach.
Guess what I object to is the cost, paying more than what a good education would be that is accredited, taught by professionals, not some x-car salesman who hasn't a clue about RE except for folklore.
Not saying people aren't nice, just that making money isn't a qualification nor can others do what someone else did. Human nature tells us we can do what others did, (ego, desire, motivation, greed, etc.) maybe close but that's not reality. Learning is an individual process of understanding not a mechanical process.
Good luck learning the business. :)
There are so many people here blaming the education company for their lack of effort and follow through. No matter what education path or system you choose you will always reap what you sow. Granted I have no idea what Renatus is beyond the material contained in this post. I decided to invest in Fortune Builders with Than for my education and they are significantly more costly then Renatus but as with most things it appears you get what you pay for. I have no problem telling others that I spent $30k joining the Fortune Builders program and purchasing additional optional systems nor am I ashamed of it, in fact I often use it to establish credibility with new PMLs. I care enough about doing this business the correct way and learning all I can that I took all my savings and invested it in my education, you'd be surprised how many PMLs light up when they hear that. And honestly I believe investing in myself and my education is the best investment I could have ever made. When you join any realestate education company you are paying to use their systems and experience to build your business. Of course you could do this yourself and maybe you get to the same end result, but maybe it costs you 50k in losing money on bad deals to figure it out. But then again maybe not, each person has to decide which path is right for them but anyone who expects to just shell out money for ANY of these companies and have money rain from the sky is delusional and needs to stick with being a technician.
hey John,
I agree if it works for you, then by all means do it. I think Renatus is a good option and most likely FB (fortune builders) is too but if you are willing to do some research then BP is the way to go. I must admit I do like the way Renatus is laid out for you. So I agree it's up to the individual to make it happen. But let's be honest. I'd say 60% ( rather conservative figure)of the people on here are not gonna do anything with all this education. Not because they are lazy, they realize that RE investing is not for them. So I think the general feeling is why spend all that money if you can get it for Free to figure out if investing is for you or not.
You're absolutely right Ken, most people don't have what it takes for this. They are in love with the idea of investing in realestate because they watch to many TV shows that make it look easy. Anyone who has actually done it knows that it's not for the faint of heart. For me and my wife it was a no brainer to drop the money on the Fortune Builders education and systems. I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel so the opportunity to learn from people that have done thousands of deals and avoid making some of the newbie mistakes by having mentors there to help at every turn was well worth it. However I do feel that having some skin in the game and looking at investing not as a hobby but as a legitimate future forces you to put the effort in to succeed. Besides time is the most valuable resource on this planet because it's the only thing you can never get more of. Who would want to to waste that researching the basics...not I that's for sure.