NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

NOUVEAU RICHE-Interesting Review

Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 0 votes

I found this on another site and was given permission by the author to post it here. I am neutral, have no experience with Nouveau, but found the review extremely interesting.

NOUVEAU RICHE - New Bootcamp/guru - Dolf

There's a new kid on the block in the world of RE Guru's known as Nouveau Riche. This group sells exclusively products from Dolf de Roos (one of Robert Kiyosaki's "Mentors"). They are springing up a lot in Utah and Arizona, as well as several other countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and England primarily). If you haven't heard about them yet, I imagine that you will in the future. I wanted to share my experience with them with anyone that might be contemplating joining their organization.

Disclaimers
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED, SELLING, PROMOTING, OR REPRESENTING NOUVEAU RICHE! (Read on and you'll Believe me!) My experiences were in March of 2003. The company was started in November 2002. Perhaps the company is more mature and efficient now. That said, some of my information might be out of date. Additionally, I'm going to boil this down so that you can read it in one sitting. I could write a lot more. Let me know if you want me to expand on any particular point. I appologize for the length of this post, but hope that it provides someone with information they're looking for.

My Experience
I've enjoyed going to some of the 3 Hour "Free RE" seminars that pop up at hotels where they get you there and wet your appetite and try to sell their seminars (after you go to 3 or 4 you start to laugh at how much alike they all are). It opens my eyes to what other guru's & groups are all about. I meet people and learn a thing or two. With Nouveau Riche I was initially impressed. I was an unemployed RE Investor in the making. I though it could be a good thing to get involved with so I could continue learning about RE, network, teach others about RE, and make some money in the process while I was trying to invest. I went to multiple meetings (3 I think), went to lunch with about 14 of them, went to one of their houses and met with 3 of them, and spent many hours on the phone and after meetings chatting with various members of the organization. Additionally, I knew a couple of them from other connections. I bought the lowest package deal (and returned it), and I seriously considered joining the group, but did not. Here are my reasons.

Overview
There are 3 packages that you can pay for and join in with. The first is about $3500, the second is around $6,000, and the third is $7,000 (these are the prices if you buy them all together. I believe they're more expensive if you buy them separately. These are estimates, but the total cost is $16,000 for all three). Any time you buy any one of these, your "Friend" who sold it to you keeps 70% of the COST of the product (which is negotiable, but they won't tell you that) Note: I've heard that they've rearranged their pricing so the lowest one is cheaper, but they're all still about $16K. If you join and sell NR, your "sponsor" makes a profit on your purchase and your next two. Their motto is "Buy one, Sell two".

-Package #1. $3500. Includes: REMS (Real Estate Management Software)
If you've never used anything else, you'll think it's great. If you've used ANYTHING else, you'll hate it. I found it cumbersome, non-conforming, and counterintuitive (not to mention very expensive compared to other things out there).

REPS (Real Estate Purchase Software
(see REMS). I had about the same feeling. You can get spreadsheets from realtors that do the same thing. Heck, I made my own. It's not rocket science; it's a few equations (only mine does more!). If you know how to do a dozen or so equations in Excel you can do it yourself (BTW, I didn't know anything about excel when I started to make mine).

CD's
You get 12 audio CD's of Dolf giving one of his seminars. After I listened to the CD's I didn't think it was worth paying to go to hear him speak (more on that later).

Books
They tossed in a few de Roos's books that you can get at any bookstore as fillers. $30 worth or so.

Seminar
Included was a 2 day seminar (You have to pay all expenses,travel, air, etc) that was 6 months away. (but only a 3 day return policy)

Package #2. $6,000. Includes:
3 Day Seminar
(see above)

Package #3. $7000. Includes:
5 Day Seminar
(See Above).

With all of the products you receive a weekly newsletter from Dolf (kind of what you would read from Carleton Sheets). There are also world wide teleconferences where everyone could participate, and local groups. The worldwide teleconferences were interesting. Everyone was from Utah, Phoenix, or Australia. (Keep in mind, this was when the company was still fairly small and new). One of two things would happen. We'd end up talking about specific neighborhoods in phoenix (that's great if you're in phoenix, but what if you're in New York,..or Mexico) or the moderator would say "You need to ask your lawyer/accountant that question" because the info was way too generic. Most questions were given about one minute of consideration. I can only imagine how they'll be once they've got people on their from 10 countries and all over the USA. As for the local groups, I already told you who was running them. I asked when they met, for how long, where at, what they discussed, etc. Everything was answered like "we haven't exactly decided..". bottom line, there hadn't been any local RE educational meetings, only recruiting meetings (which they'd had a ton of).

Seminars
In two days they claimed that they would teach you all about real estate so you could run out and do it. Additionally they were going to teach you how to do it many different ways and many different techniques. The most useful thing he teaches is "look at 100 properties". If you do that with ANYTHING you'll learn the market (cars, boats, houses, multi's etc). They must cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e., stupidest person in the audience) and speak in generalities because after all they have everyone from high school dropouts who put the $16K on a credit card to doctors and MBA's. Fluffy stories that tell you to make your money when you buy, buy properties and then change them (rent them, divide them, etc), look at 100 properties, etc. Additionally they talk about how to take advantage of global RE fluctuations and buy properties in China, Argentina, and Mexico. If you can't afford to leave your job, travel to china, hire others to do it for you, you don't know how to invest in your back yard, and you don't know Chinese, then Chinese Real Estate is not for you...At least not yet. There are great opportunities outside of the USA, but you've got more things to learn and over come as you get into international real estate.

High Pressure Sales
During that time, I was negotiating two real estate deals that would have taken up most of the capital I had in closing costs, appraisals, inspections, deferred maintenance, etc. Across the board I was encouraged by the Nouveau Riche reps to spend ALL of my savings on the seminars and products (that I would not gone to for about 7 months) rather than use it to secure 2 profitable real estate projects. Interesting attitude from a company that encourages you to buy real estate. One of those was a 24 unit apartment building which I now own.

Selling To Others
They encouraged me to make a list of 200 people who I could contact and invite them to explore the product. I did this. After I had looked across the list of names of 200 friends and family, there were only 3 of them that I felt like I could sell this to without feeling like a weasel, draining their pocketbooks, encouraging them to take on debt, deceiving them, and hoping that they wouldn't resent me for talking them into something that is $16,000 when most of the same information is available for cheap or free. Bottom line, I didn't believe it was worth that. Additionally I knew that $11,000 of that $16K would be going into my pocket. I know that other people have margins to make, but other products are not that expensive, nor do they have those margins.

Experience
Most of the people in NR had very little RE experience. Those who did, had it before they became involved. They would say that they were going to host the meetings and teach you about RE. Most of the ones that DID have RE had it because they'd made a killing selling NR to others and they bought RE conventionally with that money, often times paying cash for the properties. Most have no idea how to buy properties creatively.

Pyramid
It is NOT a Pyramid scheme by definition. It is Legal. That said, it looks and feels a lot like one. I've heard them tell people "you'll make so much money selling this that you can buy all the RE you want". There's something seriously wrong with this picture. I won't go into the definition of a pyramid scheme, but it does feel like it. Legally, there has to be an inexpensive way to get into any MLM (which they claim they're not, but they are. Just a shallow one). It's usually between $45 and $100. For NR it's $75. When I finally decided that I'd be interested in joining to see how it goes, they wouldn't let me join for $75. I told them they had to by law. They retaliated by saying that they'd let me, but that there would be NO support for me at all until I paid at least the $3500 to "show my commitment". I responded by saying "What motivation do you have to help and support me if you've already been paid" to which they had no good response other than "I wasn't committed". The bottom line is that they're more interested in recruiting (and forcing their recruits to buy product) than actually selling their product.

Learning Curve
Now that you've paid your $16K, you STILL have to figure out how to buy RE. You're not trading money for knowledge. Ron LeGrand will have seminars that are several days long where he teaches short sales, and ONLY short sales. I know many people, who have paid a lot for their education, but they walk out, and they pocket $20K on their first deal. He gives them the forms, the strategies, the equations, the words to use, etc. He trains you very specifically how to do a very narrowly-focused, very profitable transaction. NR does no such thing. NR students will still be found on TCI, libraries, and bookstores trying to figure it out.

Opportunity Costs
By now you know that I don't think their product is worth what they ask. What is the opportunity cost (what you could have done) with the $16,000. Look at it this way. If you were to open a separate checking account, how long would it take you to stash away an extra $16K. Most people (with say a $32K/year income) would be doing really well if they could stash away an extra $5K a year after all expenses, taxes, contributions, retirement, etc. That's 3 years of discretionary income. Or they could quit their job, move in with mom and dad, and do nothing but read library books, RE websites, and talk with people and begin to learn the business.

Sharing
One of the biggest turn-offs was the attitude towards sharing information with other investors. They treat RE techniques like they're responsible for protecting the ancient secrets (such as buy low, sell high, rehab, buy distressed properties, lease options, etc) that are theirs to protect and hand down only to chosen individuals. (Chosen = "paid thousands of dollars). If you ask them a question, they're response is something like "You ought to come to one of our meetings to find out more about our organization." Interestingly enough, they can be found at other meetings asking questions and trying to learn from others. One-way vacuum. It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

Insiders
They claim to provide strategic partnerships. I've personally spoken with two of their "partners". Both receive referrals and commissions of some sort from the NR members/organization when they work with them. Both are extremely knowledgeable about RE. Neither one is impressed with NR. One helps them find properties. They have a waiting list of several hundred buyers (NR students) for their name to get to the top of a list so that they can spring onto an opportunity (often a SFR in an area most investors run from at about 85% LTV). (I also know one of the guys that provides them with properties. ANYONE can go to him and get the same deal any time, and without waiting on a list! In any case, they only have half a dozen properties per month come up. That list is only getting longer.

Other Opinions
I'll put it this way. 100% of the investors that I know, respect, and trust their opinions don't like NR. They'll roll their eyes or laugh hysterically at best or get angry and disgusted at worst. The only people who I've heard say good things about them were those who were involved and those who were new to RE.

In their Defense
I do have a handful of good things that I can say about them. In recent months I've talked to a few people who are NR students say some good things about NR. This could be to save their ego or it could be because they genuinely feel that way. I thought the people involved were fun to be with and associate with. Additionally I think that there are people who NEED to pay $16K to get a fire under their pants and get going in RE. If they start buying one SFR per year at 95% LTV and do so for the rest of their life, but wouldn't have without NR, then I suppose that it was money well spent. For if they hadn't made the financial commitment, nothing would have happened. Additionally, from a business standpoint, I guess I've got to have a bit of respect for someone who can talk people into paying $16K (putting $11K in their pocket) for 10 days of seminars, 12 CD's, a couple of books, and some mediocre software.

Conclusion
Recently our local RE group received a letter from an individual who was about to join NR when she found our group. She indicated that ours was much more informative when it came to learning about real estate (as opposed to recruiting).

As for the boot camps, I am very opposed to bad RE "boot camps, or the ones that you pay $3000 for and half of the time is spent explaining to you why you need to spend $10,000 for the next one. Many are simply motivational hype, but no training. That said, there are some great ones out there that will help you stagger through your first deal, do better on your second, and have it down pat by your third (more or less anyways). I do not feel that this is one of them. Your time and money are extremely valuable. Spend them both wisely. $16K is a new car, a down payment on a house, 4 nice, exotic vacations, consumer debt elimination. Most people think long and hard about spending that kind of money on any one of those things listed. Do the same with the RE packages that you are considering.

Added: January 12th 2004
Reviewer: hibby76
Score:
Hits: 16711

0Reply
421 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 48 posts · 21 votes
16y

NRU is great if you have $16k to invest in education after or before you purchase 10 property deals. The same can be said for every other educational product, ie Russ Whitney, RichDad Education or RDU. I am not knocking any of these offerings. You can make money, as an affiliate. But you damage your reputation in most cases doing so. This site is priceless for the valuable real world education you can get. I developed a simple solution in the beginning. Attend any free training, until you no longer can afford to spend time at a free workshop, web conference, etc. Because if you are doing deals, eventually your time will be worth more than the workshops and NRU can provide. Fear of the unknown, failure, and making mistakes it used to motivate large purchases.

I stopped buying courses, and started buying property.

There is private money available, realtors are a great start. Sign up for the free newsletters, and watch the course costs drop with each email.

The reason RichDad stops marketing to you if you buy. Is because you may see the same free tips, in the paid material, and start wondering why you paid if they eventually give it away.

There is an easy way to qualify the value of any course: is it sold on eBay? Free markets determine the real world price to value ratio in many cases, maybe not all. Of course asking here is a great way also.

Please spend your money and time investing in deals before you buy the education materials.

Libraries, newsletters, and forums are free.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    18y

    God I love this forum 8)

  • Real Estate Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    James you hit the nail right on the head with this report. I have 2 friends that did this and they are still trying to figure out whats what.

    Thanks
    Lefty

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    18y

    Russ Whitney is/was working on becoming accredited. I have not heard anything of late. I am not trying to hear anything about that either. Anyone know anything?
    I am still a big fan of the library. About a $50.00 reserve for late fee's. Microsoft excel for dry runs till you are ready to do business on your own. Thats how option traders learn the game. Dry trades

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "**********":
    It wont take long for the NR police to bombard this thread though, as there were many responses in NR favor to the original post.

    The moderators have banned most of the NR posters because of their constant spamming, so you may not see many responses.

    8)

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 139 posts · 5 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "**********":
    Never know? They seem to have a "division" who combs the internet for negative press.

    Sounds like the Church of Scientology.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "**********":
    Never know? They seem to have a "division" who combs the internet for negative press.

    I hope they do join in. I’ll fire up a bag of popcorn , sit back and enjoy the show!

    8)

  • Real Estate Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    About 8 mos ago a friend talked the wife and I in to going to one of their meeting and It was a rah,rah kind of thing. The speaker was not trying to give you rei tips but promoting NR as the next best thing since slice bread. No thanks, the $16000 they wanted help me get my first property and rehab it.

    I just seen my friend sunday and asked how he was doing and his response, I can't write it here.

    Lefty

  • Real Estate Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    18y

    I literally just got done meeting with a couple of young hot shot salesmen from NR (recruiters) trying to sell me something that I already have knowledge of. They not only wanted me to invest $19,500, they wanted me to go to my local college, and apply for a student loan or a government loan just to pay them! That doesn't sound right, so I told them I would get back with them, which I probably won't.

    I want to start doing short sales here in my area and actually help folks get out from under a home they can't pay for, but so far I have no idea how to do it. If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Doublez08":

    I want to start doing short sales here in my area and actually help folks get out from under a home they can't pay for, but so far I have no idea how to do it. If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful.

    Jump on the short sales section of the forums for help in that area. NOTE: We may have a teleseminar again about short sales. If you're on the mailing list, you'll hear all about it (if it happens).

    Back to NRU . . .

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    Funny! I had responded to an ad on Craigslist the other day. The ad made it seem as it was a real estate investor that was willing to "mentor" you, but would take a cut of the deal. Then after you were trained you could continue and be partners in deals if you wanted to. They made it seem as though as they were "giving back" since they were so prosperus.
    Then I got an email saying that due to the overwhelming response they were having a meeting at the hotel conference room on a certain date and time. This is what really made it obvious. It said make sure when attending you mention a "name" and that it was for Noveau Riche. I then googled it and noticed :roll: the price tag, huh! That is so misleading! A person can use that money on an investment instead of all that crap! These companies must be really be making the green off of people!! :crazed:

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    18y

    I have attended a NR meeting at a hotel near me as well as had contact with some of their reps. Most of the reps selling the NR program do not know squat about RE investing nor do they own any investments. This is not to say that all of them fit this category.
    I do think that the materials and education at their college is well put together, particularly the written stuff, but the potential re investor at the end of the day is still unsure what to do to make their 1st deal. That is the same problem with most of the guru education. Too much generalities, too much "making it harder than it really is", and not enough assistance/mentoring once the education is complete.

    They also have what they call their "investor concierge" which is "click a mouse & buy a house" Not only are the deals not good, most of them are very poor. I scame across an article in regards to their investments they offer which was written by CNN Money back in August 8, 2007 by Patricia B. Gray. Do a search for the article as I do not have the link anymore.

  • Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Hello, I am new to this forum.

    I have seen the Nouveau Riche ads about them paying you $7,500 salary to begin with (craigslist) ads.

    What does it mean? do they actually pay you? or is it just a way to get you to come to the seminars?

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    18y

    Oh, they’ll pay you. But first you have to give them $16,000. Then you have to find someone else to pay $16,000, if you do they’ll give you the $7,500.

    8)

  • Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    lol figures, thanks a lot for all the info.

    So glad i found this website, now i don't have to waste 3 hours of my time tonight.

    Thanks again

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    18y

    Thats what we are here for!

    I believe it is even worse than that. From my understanding, the first two people you bring in to pay the $16,000, 1/2 your commission is split with the person who sold you the $16,000 education.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    18y

    Seems like multi-level marketing to me!

  • Homeowner · Citrus Heights, CA · Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "nationwidepi":

    You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

    To think that this whole thread was started on outdated and inaccurate information gives the impression that the tone here is intentional. And that same tone is perpetuated throughout this whole forum. I believe that people should review the information, and decide for themselves. Just like the content in this forum. So I am adding my comment.

    I'm not chiming in here to defend this company, although I am a student, but the fact that, the "facts" you are presenting to uninformed individuals visiting this forum are again inaccurate, makes me sick. I don't believe that this is the intent that the founder of this social network had in mind when he developed the idea for this community, and certainly not (to quote) "that's what we are here for!".

    You all make it seem like education doesn't or shouldn't cost anything, and that this is all just a money scheme. Let me tell you from experience that people are taking this education and are putting it into action, and are prospering from it. It is certainly of value to them!

    Of course, not everyone will do that, and yes you can go to a book store, or even surf this community and it's resources for valuable information and accomplish the same thing. But not everyone will, so there is no right or wrong. Who nominated you all posting negative and inaccurate info as the judge and jury?

    Folks, why would you let someone else make your decisions for you? Trust in your own judgements, stop being sheeple.

    There is nothing wrong with researching information, and deciding what is best for yourself. But when you let others decide for you, what is that saying about you?

    Believe in yourself.

    Ron
    (No link posted, as I am not trying to promote myself or my business)

    P.S .Joshua- I sent you a personal message two days ago, and I am disappointed that you have not responded or posted a comment about what it going on here. I believe it discredits this whole community. There are a whole lot of educational programs out there. Is it the purpose of this community to slander them too? How is that going to benefit the developement of new investors for this community and the industry?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "ENSpyrdINC":
    P.S .Joshua- I sent you a personal message two days ago, and I am disappointed that you have not responded or posted a comment about what it going on here. I believe it discredits this whole community. There are a whole lot of educational programs out there. Is it the purpose of this community to slander them too? How is that going to benefit the developement of new investors for this community and the industry?

    I get dozens of personal messages on the site a day and well over 100 emails that I respond to. As I've had the same discussion many times with other NRU promoters, I did not feel I needed to defend myself or my site to you or anyone else, and I still don't. AS you've now come out and publicly insulted me and the website, I felt that I had to respond.

    Our site has been inundated with dozens of people who are from NRU, and we've been forced to ban almost 100% of them. I've never seen one NRU person come here to help others out. I've never seen one NRU member give of their time to assist others.

    Almost EVERY one who comes here from NRU has done nothing but abuse our site by sending SPAM messages to other members, seemingly with the intention of recruiting. It was the members of NRU who set the BAD precedent by abusing BiggerPockets.

    As for your disappointment, no offense, but you're welcome to be disappointed. This is a private business and we run it as we see fit. If you don't like it, you're free not to participate here.

    We don't slander anyone or anything. We allow people to express their thought, observations, opinions about their experiences.

    If your fellow NRU people could act in accordance with our site's rules, they'd be more than welcome to post here and participate.

  • Corona Del Mar, CA · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Ive been to one of their meetings before with my broker and man was it one huge show. They gave us their marketing material about being in Success magazine and whatever else magazine they were feature in.

    I have to wonder if any of them actually do any real estate deals at all since all I hear from them is promoting the NRU. The people I talked to just promote the university just like everyone else that is new. No one I talked to ever done a transaction yet cuz they dont have the money too. Figures :roll:

    Anyways, I love how they promote their business over craigslist as they are "guru" looking for students to mentor. What a load of S***

  • Homeowner · Citrus Heights, CA · Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Joshua,
    I appreciate your reply. Thank you. I too am disappointed with ANY persons who would choose to SPAM or solicit other community members through your community. I understand that this is not your vision of this community. You won't see that activity from me.

    Please accept my apology for the personal offense you have taken. Obviously this is a very personal issue with you. I sincerely do not see where I may have insulted you personally or this web site. I merely attempted to bring to your attention the tone and disinformation that was being perpetrated in this particular forum.

    In speaking for myself, I personally did not enter this discussion for the purpose of promoting myself, my business or NR. Yes, **********, you were able to choose to research my profile, as you did, but it was not posted into the discussion for my benefit, as you know. And yes, I am proud of the companies and individuals that I have association with. They are posted in my profile.

    Joshua, I accept your invitation to participate in your community, and offer myself and my service to anyone who cares to ask. Although my personal experience in real estate is still limited, I am learning everyday and I have many successful business partners who also give of their time to help others as well. I also have personally started a local group in my area to discuss our real estate projects and for the purpose of reviewing our personal educational experiences. My education is not only limited to NR. In fact, one of the "courses" I took recently offered a "mentorship" to assist you in your first property purchase- for only $25,000! And a couple of people took them up on it!

    But I am sure as experienced business people in this industry, you all know the educational and mentorship aspects of the business are just part of it all. Certainly we all want to help, but also need to stay in business as well, so some choose to charge for their services and expertise.

    For Mog and **********, yes, there actually are people coming out of this education system and are actually doing real estate transactions. Not everyone is involved to solely promote it.

    My issue with the discussion here was mostly about the inaccuracies that were in the previous posts. If you guys have such a big issue with people spending money for education, or you believe there are better values out there, I can see where you are coming from, but everyones perception is different. I must then assume you have had a directly negative experience with this certain institution as to be so vitriol about it.

    I wonder what your attitudes would be if your experience was actually with the professional investors teaching their information, and was not just with the individuals who are trying to market it?

    With all that being said, I offer my time to help any of you with the facts in this matter anytime, online or off. I also offer my service to any interested parties who care to discuss aspects of the real estate industry and market.

    Feel free to contact me. And thank you for the ability to participate.

    Ron

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Ron -
    The day that NRU members come to our site, help educate our members, and choose not to recruit for the company is the day that I will believe that the purpose is to help teach and educate, and not recruit. I don't doubt that there is teaching going on, and I cannot attest to the quality or worthyness of it, but there does seem to be a focus on recruitment, as that is the only aspect of NRU that we've witnessed here on the site.

    I appreciate your interest in defending the organization that you're presumably profiting from, and have likely spent a LOT of money attending the classes of, and I do hope that you earn a true real estate education there. I do also hope that you choose to share that wisdom with the rest of us by participating here on the forums. Jump in and answer some real estate questions when you get the time!

    I've got some other questions . . .

    How long have you been there?
    Are you ready to make your first deal?
    What are your goals and do you have a plan yet?

    Maybe you can introduce yourself in the New Member introductions and tell us more about YOU and your progress/timeline in your investing career? (please make it about you and not your school)

    Thanks, Josh

  • Ryan MurakamiPro Member
    Professional · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 8 votes
    18y

    Heres my NR experience:

    I responded to an ad on craigslist that said "entry-level job in RE investing." I really thought I was going to get to "work while I learn" so I emailed my resume. I got a response and was told to come to an "interview" with the other investors from their office.

    So they were nice people, and I enjoyed the presentation, until they got to the real point of the presentation. The girl that was trying to recruit me told me to apply for a student loan to pay the 16K. She said "cmon, how many deals do have to make to pay that off?... One?" She then offered to lend me the money (which I thought was wierd as I had just met her).

    Overall, I was disappointed, mostly because I thought I was getting a cool job.. :cry:

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    18y

    Ron,
    First you miss quoted me. Second, I did not do the following in your post.


    I was the first to commend how well put together the education is. How is my tone perpetuated throughout this entire forum? I simply gave my opinion on how the potential investor is left on their own after the fact and the poor quality of the investments in the investor concierge as stated below. This is my opinion and others have their own. As you mentioned, it is up to each individual to do their own due diligence and make the best decision possible from their investigations, not only with NR, but with any topic on this forum. No one attacked you, or NR, simply gave opinions and experiences from them.

    There is absolutely no inaccurate information stated above, only a reference to a written article from a major news authority, my opinion on the concierge, and my opinion on how the newly educated investor remains on their own once completing the NR courses.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Through the Azcashflowclub newsletter, I got a link to www.johntreed.com who has reviews of RE Gurus, their programs and books, including NR, and Kiyosaki himself.

    I found this site very informative. At first I thought it would be a thinly veiled way of self promotion. However, the criticisms are well-developed (albeit sometimes emotional), and backed with research. Yes, he is self-promoting as well, but not thinly veiled by any means....and Reed himself can be easily researched.

    I used this info as a way to find cheap/free info by real veterans of the business who have had years upon years of steady success.

    The first thing I did after visiting this site was buy a book called Landlording by Leigh Robinson who Reed clearly holds on a pedestal. Yes, it is somewhat outdated, but nevertheless can be applied today. I think it's a good start for beginners.

    Check it out...it might be helpful for newbies.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    18y

    Thank you Cindy, I will pick that book up as I have not read it.
    I have also read John Reed's opinion on the gurus and agree he gets a bit too emotional on some of them. Also, he is very negative and overly critical in some cases, but otherwise makes valid points.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.