Who do you think will win: Zillow, Trulia, or ????

Who do you think will win: Zillow, Trulia, or ????

Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes

It is my belief that in the next few years a nationwide multipurpose real estate website will evolve to become a major player in real estate sales. At first augmenting, but eventually displacing local Multiple Listing Service websites. I see this service site enjoying kind of a natural monopoly similar to Facebook, Google, Amazon or Linkedin. Currently I know of two such candidates that exist for this role, Zillow and Trulia, both are publicly traded companies. There are probably other players in this arena I don't know about. I expect one will become the Facebook of Real Estate, and that the others will become the myspaces and etoys of Real Estate. I do not use either site much myself since I use a local Denver Realtor site.

My question is for those that have used Zillow and Trulia a good deal, (or brand x I don't know about). Is one site stronger, better, more useful, more reliable, etc.. than the other? My question relates to my desire to make a stock purchase of one of these companies (yes, I know that I am allowed to purchase more than one).

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@John Rooster

I don't use either for valid REI info but if you want to make money in stocks this is the area my BIL is touting...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-09/pot-shares-rally-21-to-1-700-as-speculators-see-green.html

Nothing like buying (when) HIGH & mellowing out for profits before they go up in 'smoke' like most penny stocks have in the past....& you can say you bought it but didn't inhale...:)

BUT given the low initial investment it could generate surprising results....

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    zillow.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    John Rooster I use Zillow, Trulia, and another called Redfin. I definitely feel that Zillow trumps all, Trulia is a close second with varing info from that of Zillow, and Redfin pretty much takes info from public records. Lol. I do remember reading that Redfin was the originating real estate site whereas Zillow and Trulia where rip offs because Redfin didn't have enough funding to gain momentum like the other two. But... I still choose Zillow. Lol.
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    While I primarily use Zillow, I find that Trulia and the realtor mobile app have their place. Personally, I hope they all continue to thrive - keeps the pressure on to innovate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.