Who do you think will win: Zillow, Trulia, or ????

Who do you think will win: Zillow, Trulia, or ????

Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes

It is my belief that in the next few years a nationwide multipurpose real estate website will evolve to become a major player in real estate sales. At first augmenting, but eventually displacing local Multiple Listing Service websites. I see this service site enjoying kind of a natural monopoly similar to Facebook, Google, Amazon or Linkedin. Currently I know of two such candidates that exist for this role, Zillow and Trulia, both are publicly traded companies. There are probably other players in this arena I don't know about. I expect one will become the Facebook of Real Estate, and that the others will become the myspaces and etoys of Real Estate. I do not use either site much myself since I use a local Denver Realtor site.

My question is for those that have used Zillow and Trulia a good deal, (or brand x I don't know about). Is one site stronger, better, more useful, more reliable, etc.. than the other? My question relates to my desire to make a stock purchase of one of these companies (yes, I know that I am allowed to purchase more than one).

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@John Rooster

I don't use either for valid REI info but if you want to make money in stocks this is the area my BIL is touting...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-09/pot-shares-rally-21-to-1-700-as-speculators-see-green.html

Nothing like buying (when) HIGH & mellowing out for profits before they go up in 'smoke' like most penny stocks have in the past....& you can say you bought it but didn't inhale...:)

BUT given the low initial investment it could generate surprising results....

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @John Rooster

    I don't use either for valid REI info but if you want to make money in stocks this is the area my BIL is touting...

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-09/pot-shares-rally-21-to-1-700-as-speculators-see-green.html

    Nothing like buying (when) HIGH & mellowing out for profits before they go up in 'smoke' like most penny stocks have in the past....& you can say you bought it but didn't inhale...:)

    BUT given the low initial investment it could generate surprising results....

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Facebook seems to becoming the new Myspace as well. Ask anyone under 20, and they will tell you that "Facebook is for old people". Instagram is what all the kids are on now.

    I don't think the MLS will be replaced. The real estate lobby is too powerful. People thought the internet would make real estate agents obsolete, but you need someone to negotiate on your behalf.

  • Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    I generally stick with Zillow because of the map search function and the ability to click through to the listing website. Maybe Trulia offers the same service, but it doesnt seem as intuitive as Zillow does (at least for me).

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I don't see one trumping any of the others yet. I use them all to comp against each other and see what kinds of differences they are reporting. I start with Trulia because I like how they give a little more information than Zillow does, but occassionally Zillow will have something that another doesn't. I use Realtor.com to shop for REO/Foreclosures, use Trulia for comps and rent comparisons, and zillow if I can't get any information. Then I go to the tax assessors page for clarification.

    I definitely don't see one taking a monopoly too soon. I can't comment on MLS because I haven't tried to access that one yet. Just my 2c.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    You might want to short these companies instead. Do a forum search here to see comments about how bad their info is. And I also know that some MLSes and brokers are beginning to cancel their syndications with these companies for various reasons.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Zillow & Trulia are AWEFUL for real estate. Their data is horribly inaccurate. IIRC the Denver MLS cut off the live feed to them. They were taking our data and selling it back to us.

    People buy a home about every 7 years. It can be an extremely emotional experience for the average person. Agents help facilitate a smooth transaction. You would not believe the DRAMA that can go on within a transaction. There will always be a need for that FOR SOME PEOPLE.

    Discount brokerages are popping up, but they usually don't offer the level of service people need, especially in a less than ideal market. Good agents are a tremendous value.

    The problem is the barrier to entry into too low to become an agent. It is just too easy. The less than ideal agents make us all look bad. Off my soapbox.

    PS - If you want the best data for Denver MLS, then goto recolorado.com. It is the public version of the mls.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    PS - If you want the best data for Denver MLS, then goto recolorado.com. It is the public version of the mls.

    I am not looking for the best data. I am looking for the best investment. Recolorado is not something I can invest in.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    12y

    I think we'll start to see a trend where the MLS around the country will start to cut these services off. It makes no sense to the agents to have these websites. I have to go to three different sites and pay to have my listing featured?

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    As far as stocks go, I am only in index funds. I don't have time to do the homework necessary to invest in individual ones.

    From a boots on the ground standpoint with Trulia & Zillow, I don't like either one, but I am obviously biased.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    In your research, take a look at the acquisitions these companies are making to get a sense of their direction. For instance, Zillow acquired Diverse Solutions who are a large IDX solution provider. And Trulia just completed an acquisition of Market Leader, they're one of the hundred pound gorillas in the real estate CRM / marketing space. Good luck.

  • REALTOR® · Bastrop, TX · Member since 2013 · 324 posts · 191 votes
    12y
    You're asking the wrong questions
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Connell:
    You're asking the wrong questions

    You're not providing any useful feedback

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joe Delia:
    I think we'll start to see a trend where the MLS around the country will start to cut these services off. It makes no sense to the agents to have these websites. I have to go to three different sites and pay to have my listing featured?

    I don't know to what extent "cutting them off" would be doable or legal, since I don't know how they are getting their data. There is most likely already a legal precedent already establishing how 'public' MLS information is (which I do not know). Given that there are no large US markets that they do not service, I am inclined to think that there is not much the local MLS can do about, else some hard nosed MLS would have already done it. Please comment if you know specifics about any of this.

    I conducted a test today, I changed the price on one of my listed properties. There was a 7.5 hour delay each between the execution of the change by my agent and the changes by Trulia and Zillow. I will conduct further testing in the coming week. I have been told the delay for recolorado.com, the local mls site, is 4-6 hours. So a few hours delay between the "insider" service and Trulia/Zillow seems not so important to me.

  • REALTOR® · Bastrop, TX · Member since 2013 · 324 posts · 191 votes
    12y
    John Rooster fair enough. You're attempting to determine which company to invest money in by asking the consumer, end user, what they think of each individual site. This should account for very little in your decision making process in regards to investing. As noted above, you should attempt to know more about what the companies themselves are doing, how they operate, how they pay investors, etc. The opinion of the end user matters not. But if it does, the general rule as that both sites are horrible and incredibly inaccurate. In regards to your comments on the MLS. Each MLS is area specific and private in nature, meaning they have ZERO legal obligation to share their data with anyone other than their members. Zillow, et al, attempt to obtain information from these various MLS' in regards to sold/leased prices; which are how you run the comps. MOST, if not all, MLS systems are moving away from syndication with these sites and imposing fines/penalties/strong words for members who do share it. When that comes full circle, those sites will have to rely on tax records which are also horribly inaccurate, hearsay, and trying to get owners to share. In addition, there are a number of unethical and shady practices that these websites use to illicit income; but that's a whole other thread.
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Why does it take so long for an MLS change to occur? I belong to two MLS's and can make any changes in both systems instantaneously. It doesn't matter if it's entering a listing, changing price, status change, or whatever.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @John Rooster - It has already begun. There are some MLSes who have already stopped sending data to zillow et al. And many others who are considering it. And many brokers as well (both large and small). There will be a big fight over this. I wouldn't buy their stock (or trulia's).

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @John Rooster - I can log onto my brokerage intranet site right now and cut off my listings from syndicating to zillow and others if I so choose.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:
    @John Rooster - I can log onto my brokerage intranet site right now and cut off my listings from syndicating to zillow and others if I so choose. And I'm not even a broker, just an agent.
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @John Rooster - Here's a direct answer. I believe Zillow is better positioned to beat out Trulia. They are bigger, have continued to innovate, and are growing across product lines.

    A lot of non-investors are more familiar with Zillow, Zestimates, etc. They have a great PR engine (cheap marketing and brand building).

    Best of luck!

    Rick

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Connell:
    John Rooster fair enough.
    You're attempting to determine which company to invest money in by asking the consumer, end user, what they think of each individual site. This should account for very little in your decision making process in regards to investing.

    You have no idea what research I do in addition to the question I posted on this board. Your assumption is invalid. This is a real estate investment board, I value the real estate related opinions and experiences of the people that post here, and I want to know their first hand experiences with Zillow and Trulia. This is not a stock investment board, I am not looking for stock investment advice from the people that post on this board. Any discussion of stock investment strategies is just a distraction from the question I posted to the board.

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    12y

    I've had a few scam postings of my listings on Zillow this week. While they did take them down right away when I reported to Zillow, I received several calls from consumers who had drove by the properties after seeing the unbelievable deal on Zillow. Several of the callers had been communicating with the scammers until they saw my sign in the yard. I would imagine if a few outspoken consumers got taken, because they responded to a Zillow, Trulia, or whatever ad, this could be very bad press for these companies. This may already be baked into the pie, but seems like a lot of liability if they let anyone post to the sites.

  • REALTOR® · Bastrop, TX · Member since 2013 · 324 posts · 191 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @John Rooster:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Connell:
    John Rooster fair enough.
    You're attempting to determine which company to invest money in by asking the consumer, end user, what they think of each individual site. This should account for very little in your decision making process in regards to investing.

    You have no idea what research I do in addition to the question I posted on this board. Your assumption is invalid. This is a real estate investment board, I value the real estate related opinions and experiences of the people that post here, and I want to know their first hand experiences with Zillow and Trulia. This is not a stock investment board, I am not looking for stock investment advice from the people that post on this board. Any discussion of stock investment strategies is just a distraction from the question I posted to the board.

    My fault, I guess I was thrown off when you said "My question relates to my desire to make a stock purchase of one of these companies (yes, I know that I am allowed to purchase more than one)."

    Well, what do you think of the various opinions you've gotten so far?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @John Rooster:
    Originally posted by @Joe Delia:
    I think we'll start to see a trend where the MLS around the country will start to cut these services off. It makes no sense to the agents to have these websites. I have to go to three different sites and pay to have my listing featured?

    I don't know to what extent "cutting them off" would be doable or legal, since I don't know how they are getting their data. There is most likely already a legal precedent already establishing how 'public' MLS information is (which I do not know). Given that there are no large US markets that they do not service, I am inclined to think that there is not much the local MLS can do about, else some hard nosed MLS would have already done it. Please comment if you know specifics about any of this.

    I conducted a test today, I changed the price on one of my listed properties. There was a 7.5 hour delay each between the execution of the change by my agent and the changes by Trulia and Zillow. I will conduct further testing in the coming week. I have been told the delay for recolorado.com, the local mls site, is 4-6 hours. So a few hours delay between the "insider" service and Trulia/Zillow seems not so important to me.

    Not only is a doable its being done already.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    I do use these sites, zillow, trulia, redfin, realtor, movoto etc.

    I do not have direct access to the MLS, so I am limited to mining information from these sites.

    They all have strengths and weaknesses.

    I will say this, none of them have really leveraged the information and technology available in a meaningful way, but zillow has done more in this regards.

    Another major player is MOVE, owner of realtor.com. Also publicly traded.

    The experiment you conducted may not be valid. From my understanding these sites do their updates periodically. They are all outdated to some extents. I found realtor.com seem to update theirs the most. I had situations where I would see a listing update 1 hr later, and other listings didn't update for 3 days. For sale listings and for rent listings. One time I made an inquiry as to why, zillow replied that they have humans doing checks on some listings to ensure they are not bogus, so there is a manual process somewhere in their data mining layer.

    Zillow has a better interface and the ability to see a map and visualize recent listings and close by sold listing is very nice.

    To me zillow.com has the better interface.

    Realtor.com has more updated information.

    One way I use zillow, is when I get an alert on a new listing from somewhere not zillow, I go to zillow, and most of the time, I can still see the pictures of the previous listing of that property, and that's very useful LOL. I would save them off so I can go back and reference them later.

    I did buy zillow stocks. When it was 28. I sold at 60. I wouldn't buy at this level.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan L.:
    @John Rooster - It has already begun. There are some MLSes who have already stopped sending data to zillow et al. And many others who are considering it. And many brokers as well (both large and small). There will be a big fight over this. I wouldn't buy their stock (or trulia's).

    I understand that an agent can technically not check the box that forwards the listing to Zillow/Trulia/et al, BUT that seems to me to be a violation of the agent's duty to their client. In almost all situations, the client is best served by having the listing forwarded to other data bases, imo any agent that does not check that box (without the express consent of the client) is violating their Realtor duty to their client.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.