Thoughts on AI in Property Management? Laziness or Necessity?

Thoughts on AI in Property Management? Laziness or Necessity?

Investor · Cincinnati · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 13 votes

This is a sort of litmus test for me, so please be honest (but kind lol): What are your thoughts on AI in property management? If you utilize it, then to what extent? I've seen some people implementing chatbots for tenant FAQs in order to ease the load of their employees. That seems ethical and harmless. But I think there's a line, and I'm wondering where some of you draw it.

When I was a tenant, for example, the PM company would send us email updates & notifications about community events. Near the end of my tenancy, they started sending emails that were corny & clearly copied from ChatGPT. It kinda annoyed me that they wouldn't even type emails for their tenants anymore (the staff was also SO unhelpful and mean, so this small thing just added to my annoyance). 

PM tech has always and will always be super vital, so I'm not an AI hater by any means. Just wondering how you're all moving forward with this new tool. What tasks are you willing to automate, and what tasks do you refuse to automate?

1Reply
497 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
1y

To me it is them being lazy. If they want to send an email, then write out a few sentences. A lot of tasks aren't that hard and getting AI to do it often takes as much time as doing it yourself.  If there are questions tenants ask regularly, then have a FAQ page where they can get the answers (without a need for them to log into anything).

I'd much rather have a phone tree than an AI chatbot on the other end that can't get basic things right.  

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 180 votes
    1y

    Hey Becca!

    Your gut feeling here is spot on. There’s a TON of potential for AI in property management, but the line between “helpful efficiency” and “soulless automation” is real, and crossing it can damage trust with tenants.

    AI works best when it’s used to free up time for humans to be more human — not to replace genuine connection or common decency. Automating rent reminders, maintenance request tracking, and tenant FAQs via chatbot? Absolutely. It reduces repetitive tasks, ensures tenants get 24/7 responses to simple questions, and helps small teams manage more units without burning out. Those kinds of automations are functional, respectful, and usually welcomed.

    But when it comes to things like community updates, lease violations, or sensitive tenant communication, it’s easy to go too far. If the email tone feels generic, robotic, or out of touch, especially in the context of a company already providing bad service then it can make tenants feel like they’re just another number. I’d argue that using AI to draft messages is fine, but someone on the team should read, edit, and own it before it’s sent. The AI should support the voice of the brand, not replace it.

    Personally, I draw the line at anything involving conflict, personal tone, or significant emotion. These situations require nuance, empathy, and accountability, which AI just doesn’t do well enough yet. A canned response in the middle of a frustrating experience only adds fuel to the fire, like in your example.

    So yes to AI for task management, scheduling, and assisting the team — but never as a substitute for showing up as a real person when it matters. That’s where tenant relationships are built (or broken), and no amount of automation can fix a reputation for being cold or inattentive.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I think that whether a company implement AI or does not it will still come down to the company's values and core competencies. If they are a good and ethical company AI will allow them to be even better. If they are not a good company, then AI will only expose it more. One of our core values is to " Create Value". This is value for the owners, tenants, our company, and anyone that we work with. AI frees up time from the simple tasks and allows us to focus on creating value.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Can you imagine doing property management with only a phone, paper & pencil?

    AI is just the latest tech tool.

    So, they'll be good uses of it and bad.

    Just like the internet, PMC software, PMC support software, etc..

    Personally, I think the best uses will be:

    1) Answering repetitive owner & tenant questions
    - Will actually provide more human-like responses once "programmed" properly.

    2) Responding to tenant prospects too lazy to actually read property postings, so they call, email or text repetitive questions.

    3) Enhancing followup tasks
    - Will actually provide more human-like responses once "programmed" properly.

    4) Make data analysis & aggregation MUCH easier!

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    Becca, totally with you—AI should be the silent ops chief, not the face tenants deal with. The “corny ChatGPT email” thing isn’t just annoying, it’s a trust-killer.

    I’m a small NYC landlord, and I’m building something that uses AI for the boring, invisible stuff:

    - Answering the same 5 tenant questions on autopilot

    - Tracking lease dates so I’m never chasing renewals last-minute

    - Checking in on repairs and nudging vendors so things actually get done

    But anything that carries tone, judgment, or trust? That’s on me. AI doesn’t handle evictions, rent negotiations, or even “how’s your mom doing?” texts.

    I’m testing this approach with a small group of landlords right now—happy to share what’s working if you’re curious!

  • Rob HowardPro Member
    Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    I've learned - regardless the task - you have to treat AI like the most eager, smart, consistent and clueless person on your team.

    Spend as much time training it as you would an intern who you like and think is valuable enough to spend time training. It can learn your voice, it can mimic your style, but it's going to be a "non-playing character" until you make it how you want it. 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    Agreed @Rob Howard! Are you implementing AI into your systems / processes?

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Parris Taylor there are several different ways. Starting off it summarizes, ranks and "filters" emails coming in - looking for keywords that trigger notifications. I just lost my admin of a decade (she "retired rich!") and that's my first step - getting some of those tasks handled. 

      After that it's getting more consistent with posting to my social - helping flesh out neglected pieces of my SOI database and helping design the next generation plans for enhanced contact (for me to do).

       I voic bounce ideas off it got more Dollar-productive activities - discussing the pros/cons and researching others reported results from new shiny things that continue to pop up.

    • Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 329 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rob Howard:

      @Parris Taylor there are several different ways. Starting off it summarizes, ranks and "filters" emails coming in - looking for keywords that trigger notifications. I just lost my admin of a decade (she "retired rich!") and that's my first step - getting some of those tasks handled. 

      After that it's getting more consistent with posting to my social - helping flesh out neglected pieces of my SOI database and helping design the next generation plans for enhanced contact (for me to do).

       I voic bounce ideas off it got more Dollar-productive activities - discussing the pros/cons and researching others reported results from new shiny things that continue to pop up.


       What does your implementation look like.  Like what is technology stack (or tools you are using), I use chat gpt for editing and/or drafting written words, but I am still using the web interface which is difficult to actual automate things.

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Peter W. The $20/mo ChatGPT pro is sufficient to do whatever you need. I love Google Gemini since it's integrated into the Google ecosystem that I use for everything else. 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Rob Howard Anything around rent collection, lease management or maintenance you’d like to see AI automate?

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Parris Taylor I think tying twillio into pre-planned reminders about what's coming: rent due dates, safety visits, filter changes, maintenance plans, etc would be great to keep me AND the tenants consistent. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    To me it is them being lazy. If they want to send an email, then write out a few sentences. A lot of tasks aren't that hard and getting AI to do it often takes as much time as doing it yourself.  If there are questions tenants ask regularly, then have a FAQ page where they can get the answers (without a need for them to log into anything).

    I'd much rather have a phone tree than an AI chatbot on the other end that can't get basic things right.  

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Theresa Harris It might be ego, but I don't want to be caught "flat-footed" about a conversation I had with someone

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Theresa Harris - I’m with you. If AI that can’t get the basics right, it just creates more work. The trick is giving it context and memory so it’s not guessing.

    Instead of “chatbot fluff,” I’ve been testing setups where AI pulls straight from the actual lease (+ broader knowledge base) and remembers past interactions. That way it’s only answering the same safe, repetitive stuff—like “when’s rent due?”—without drifting off-script

  • Member since 2025 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    AI is not limited to repetitive tasks. In addition to answering redundant tenant queries, AI can also automate the workflows involving tenant's background check, smart qualification of leads, and financial logging. It can be trained to do more than just repetitive tasks. 

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Simran Miglani I agree with@Parris Taylor - how would you do that? Feels like an organic part I wouldn't trust it to do - at least yet.

      My major cheer for AI is doing things consistently that I ... avoid, forget, ignore, push down the to-do list. 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Simran Miglani Agreed! How do you account for hallucination risk when automating more sensitive workflows like the above (specifically, background check and financial logging)? 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Rob Howard Pre-planned reminders are underrated—they keep both sides consistent and it’s always the little reminders that end up saving the most time.

    Do you think those inputs for pre-planned reminders should come from the landlord, or would it be better if the platform/system handled it automatically? 

    I think the latter becomes difficult as those dates typically aren't readily available via public domain.  

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Parris Taylor My reminders are tied to my Google calendar - right now they just prompt me in another way that is more apt to grab my attention than a calendar prompt and are more persistent if I'm driving, writing an offer or other thing that makes it easy to get into "ignore mode."

       To me - even when I automate them to go to a client/tenant/guest (depending on what hat I'm wearing in the scenario) it would still need to come to me, I think - until the system proves out. 

      What do you think?

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2025 · 92 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Rob Howard I get that. Calendar pings are easy to swipe away, but the persistent reminders keep things from getting lost. I also like your point about still getting the alerts yourself until the system proves it can be trusted.

    I created a bot (building mobile app now) that tracks all that and is working perfectly. Building a function that automatically injects notification onto calendar and will send push notification to your phone (3 days out - but can be changed).

    What would it take for you to feel comfortable letting the system run without that double notification?

    • Rob HowardPro Member
      Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
      1y

      @Parris Taylor It'll take time on task. I use Guesty for my STRs to align VRBO, Airbnb and my own marketing calendars at Howard's Pond (howardspond.com). It does a great job keeping them straight. I know Claude.ai can create something that can replace it for free - just need to create it and test it. 

      For my LTR it's a matter of time to do it then 6 months of making sure it's doing it right. On the disc I'm IS - want to KNOW my tenants since I choose to just invest locally. They've been done of my best real estate clients over the years 

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    I am a technical guy, who like to automate many things using AI.

    I would like to show some demo to you, and get feedback.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2012 · 554 posts · 232 votes
    11mo

    AI in property management can be incredibly useful, but it’s all about how it’s used. Automating tenant FAQs, maintenance updates, or scheduling - great. That saves time and improves response speed. But when it comes to tenant relationships, empathy, and problem-solving, that’s where the human element still matters most.

    The agents we built with Pathwaize handle the repetitive and time-sensitive parts, like answering inquiries instantly, confirming appointments, or sending reminders. That frees up a lot of time and makes sure we're not missing any opportunities. 

    Letting AI become the voice of the company instead of an extension (at least at this point in time) is a mistake IMO. It should enhance communication, not replace it.

    Side note: I haven't built an agent for PM yet, but it's on the near-term roadmap, along with agents for dispo and transaction management.

  • Midwest, USA · Member since 2026 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    4mo
    I think it depends where you draw the line. For tenant-facing stuff like emails and community updates — keep it human, totally agree with that. But for backend tasks nobody sees, AI is a no-brainer. Sorting repair logs, flagging units that might need maintenance soon, organizing receipts — that stuff saves me hours without the tenant ever knowing AI was involved. The sweet spot seems to be: let AI handle the boring backend work, keep humans on anything a tenant reads or hears.
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Becca Brown:

    This is a sort of litmus test for me, so please be honest (but kind lol): What are your thoughts on AI in property management? If you utilize it, then to what extent? I've seen some people implementing chatbots for tenant FAQs in order to ease the load of their employees. That seems ethical and harmless. But I think there's a line, and I'm wondering where some of you draw it.

    When I was a tenant, for example, the PM company would send us email updates & notifications about community events. Near the end of my tenancy, they started sending emails that were corny & clearly copied from ChatGPT. It kinda annoyed me that they wouldn't even type emails for their tenants anymore (the staff was also SO unhelpful and mean, so this small thing just added to my annoyance). 

    PM tech has always and will always be super vital, so I'm not an AI hater by any means. Just wondering how you're all moving forward with this new tool. What tasks are you willing to automate, and what tasks do you refuse to automate?


    Smart companies want to reduce expenses AND improve the customer experience. 

    The challenge is ALWAYS exploring how to use technology to do this.

    Smart companies will gradually experiment & implement, many others will, "leap before they look".

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    4mo

    Necessity for sure!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.