Is it douchey to update your FB status with REI exploits?

Is it douchey to update your FB status with REI exploits?

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes

I update my update my fb status with my real estate progress all the time, but 10 seconds later, I end up deleting the status because I think it comes off as being douchey. 

What do you guys do? First rule of Fight Club, you don't talk about Fight Club?

2Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

You still Facebook?

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    11y

    Here's where I think the question really is...

    Are you posting as a business? Or as a person sharing their success?  Each type of post is going to contain different content.  I personally keep my FB friends to a strict list of people: I must have known them for 5+ years &  they must have a really embarrassing tidbit about me that they used as leverage to become my friend. It's an incredibly supportive group, and they all know what I do. But it's not a marketing circle. So everything is personal.  I cheer when a property goes under contract, and I talk excitedly about things that happen.

    I use LinkedIn, and Twitter as marketing business posts.  

  • SLC, UT · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 10 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Keith Bloemendaal:

    It is not "douchey" but like others, I love the use of the word! 

    To each there own, but I find FB to be a great place to talk about what I have going on. I am actually connected to hundreds of realtors local and regionally on FB and many show interest, send me messages to find out progress, etc... Really it depends on what your goals are and where your target market is located. 

    Keith, Glad FB is working for you, You are a prospect so realtors are going to be crawling over any potential client.

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dirk Smithson:

    Keith, Glad FB is working for you, You are a prospect so realtors are going to be crawling over any potential client.

     Actually, they are my prospects, I want them to sell my properties and bring their buyers to me, it's the other way around. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Well, it can be douchey, if none of your friends are into real estate. I've unfriended people, who send out pictures of their meal, every time they're in a restaurant. I would probably unfriend someone that is using their FB page to drum up business. That's why I'm keeping my circle very small and don't collect friends.

    I think you would only get an honest answer to this question from those who are not into real estate and who would receive those status.

    You can always start another FB page for your real estate endeavours and invite all of your friends. Then you will see who's interested.

    Just my opinion.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I guess I'll be the first to say I was not familiar with the term douchey.  

    Je parle français et connais bien le mot ??douche?? - j'ai même pris une douche ce matin ...

    However, I fail to make the link between how a shower (une douche) came to have he meaning obnoxious or contemptible in U.S. slang.

  • Investor · Crosby, TX · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Is that anything like fidoucheyary? ;)
  • SLC, UT · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 10 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Keith Bloemendaal:
    Originally posted by @Dirk Smithson:

    Keith, Glad FB is working for you, You are a prospect so realtors are going to be crawling over any potential client.

     Actually, they are my prospects, I want them to sell my properties and bring their buyers to me, it's the other way around. 

     Great way of looking at it, You get to call the shots when they are contacting you! 

  • Willingboro, NJ · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    As others have said, no, it's absolutely not douchey!  People being aware of what you do can result in potential joint ventures, investors, and other collaborators. 

    Your FB friends may turn you on to deals that you would have never know about.

    Bottom line....DO IT!  :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 187 posts · 113 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    I guess I'll be the first to say I was not familiar with the term douchey.  

    Je parle français et connais bien le mot ??douche?? - j'ai même pris une douche ce matin ...

    However, I fail to make the link between how a shower (une douche) came to have he meaning obnoxious or contemptible in U.S. slang.

     Seems douchey to complain about it!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    You won't get an objective response here, because everyone is involved in real estate. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Tim Bishop:
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    I guess I'll be the first to say I was not familiar with the term douchey.  

    Je parle français et connais bien le mot ??douche?? - j'ai même pris une douche ce matin ...

    However, I fail to make the link between how a shower (une douche) came to have he meaning obnoxious or contemptible in U.S. slang.

     Seems douchey to complain about it!

     Tim,

    Perhaps you misunderstood.  I was not complaining, but questioning the etymology of the colloquialism in the hope someone would be able to explain.  

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    after reading this,  I feel I should probably delete my Facebook pictures where I am laying in bed naked covered in hundred dollar bills and a taking a  selfie. 

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    If you feel douchey after posting it, that's probably because it is douchey. Just saying.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 187 posts · 113 votes
    11y

    Listen here Roy!  If you're going to just make up words like "colloquialism and etymology" post them in the off topic section under...  Stuff I heard on NPR...

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    It depends on how you post things on your personal FB page. If you come off as "salesy" or cheesy or not genuine, you'll seem douchy. I won't be overbearing with my FB posts and they'll integrate in well with the rest of my posts. Real Estate is a big part of your life, right? It should be normal that you want to tell people about it.

    I also have a FB page for my business that I use to promote my blog for my lead generating website. I plan to use the business page to share links to real estate articles and other sources so that's not too one dimensional. If I can provide value to other people by sharing useful info, hopefully, I'll get more traffic to my website, which will generate more leads. Separating my personal and business FB pages will help..... 

  • Real Estate Broker · Sanford, NC · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 69 votes
    11y

    I agree with @Andy Mirza - You used the word "exploits" in the title. If you are approaching this from an exploitive perspective, yes, it will sound douchey. However, it's vitally important to talk about your business with friends & family. You may be able to help them in a time of need, but if they do not view you as an active investor, they may never know.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jean Bolger:

    I've got to say, click on @Sarah B. 's facebook link above to see a great utilization of FB for a RE biz. Cool pics and info, but not over-posting or pushy. Nice job!

     Agreed, it is probably most effective to use facebook primarily as a business to share your real estate triumphs.  I think for a variety of reasons, on your personal status you may want to keep them a little vague.  

    It also will depend on your business type whether it is beneficial to inform your personal network(i.e. it contains potential renters or investors) or whether it is less relevant.  Also you may want to limit the visibility of your posts, where your acquaintances may not share your excitement about your successes, hopefully your close friends and family do.

  • Flipper · Port Deposit, MD · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    Posting about your REI successes on FB? Not douchey. Hashtagging it excessively? Totally douchey.

    Just closed the deal on my first investment property!  Can't wait to see the transformation in the coming weeks!  #fixandflip #gotthekeys #wealthbuilding #stickittotheman #loveREI #biggerpocketsgotmehere  #realestatemakesmehappy  #hardmoney #easymoney #betterthanyou #sellmeyourcrappyhouse #couldntmakeitwholesaleprofitably #heatherjones #ooooooooooohyeah

  • St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2011 · 57 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    I'm networked pretty deep with a couple thousand realtors in San Antonio.  I might get on once a week and throw something out like, "Hey, I'm looking to buy some beat up houses cash.  I'll pay both sides commission for any off market leads that work out."  Depends on the day and the time but I'll get anywhere from 10-15 replies every time I do it.  I also have people reach out to me for inventory constantly as our market has dried up pretty bad.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 311 posts · 176 votes
    11y

    @Ryan Harthan Does real estate in Facebook right. 

  • Investor · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 21 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @NA Jones:

    Posting about your REI successes on FB? Not douchey. Hashtagging it excessively? Totally douchey.

    Just closed the deal on my first investment property!  Can't wait to see the transformation in the coming weeks!  #fixandflip #gotthekeys #wealthbuilding #stickittotheman #loveREI #biggerpocketsgotmehere  #realestatemakesmehappy  #hardmoney #easymoney #betterthanyou #sellmeyourcrappyhouse #couldntmakeitwholesaleprofitably #heatherjones #ooooooooooohyeah

     Beyond awesome comment. Right up there with the flexing gym couple pics #swollmates #fitcouple. Awesome thread

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.