Getting the best pricing from big box stores

2 Replies

I've been reading some threads about rehabbers and land lords negotiating the best deals with the big box stores. What are some of your strategies with getting the best deals at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Ace Hardware, Sherwin Williams, etc? Obviously, we can get the member card with the X% of savings but how do you build the right relationships with the managers? 

I generally work with Home Depot for larger orders, so this applies to them, but most big box stores probably have similar programs. 

Go to the Pro Desk (usually over by Lumber). Find somebody you like to work with and ask them for their Email. Anytime you need something, shoot that person an email.

Most people don't know that if you're spending a couple grand+, you can request a bulk order discount. I usually get part numbers off the website and email a spreadsheet. They put it into an invoice and send it for a discount request. It has saved me upwards of 20% on certain items. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you