1st Post - BRRRR - Looking for opinions on this deal

1st Post - BRRRR - Looking for opinions on this deal

Contractor · Houston Texas · Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 37 votes

First time posting...I'll try to be concise.

Found a 3-2-2 listed for 150k. Rental comps are $1600-$1700 month.

Assuming full price offer accepted, the plan is to do 20% down (30k) with a 10k rental rehab and assuming $2500 closing costs. Total out-of-pocket $42,500. ARV should be around 210k.

Plan would be to refinance $156,750 at 8% for 30y giving me back my out-of-pocket plus 10%, but that would create a negative cashflow for the first and second years. -$4700 the first year, and -$750 the second. However, I could take the 10% I got on my out-of-pocket and put it aside to offset that negative cashflow. I don't plan to use this property for cash flow right now. It would basically be a free house that would cash flow eventually and build equity. And it would still hold a good bit of equity from the start if I need to HELOC it for future deals.

I ran the BRRRR worksheet on it and it shows a horrible CoC return until the 4th year, but after that, it cleans up and shines with CoC at 31.98% at year 5. The annualized return is fantastic, beginning at 950%, and over the course of 10 years would land at 43.3%. I'm aiming to hold for at least 10 years because that coincides with my retirement age...I'm a late starter!!!

I would like to do one of these a year for the next 10 so I have my retirement taken care of and then re-evaluate my situation. And I plan to add some multi-family or STRs in the meantime for cashflow.

So my ultimate question is...does this look like a deal worth making?

0Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Ronald Fontenot Jr

    is this listed on the MLS? you've clearly analyzed it, but i'm skeptical that a 10K rehab would boost the value from 150K to 210K. can you explain that?

  • Contractor · Houston Texas · Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 37 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Ronald Fontenot Jr

    is this listed on the MLS? you've clearly analyzed it, but i'm skeptical that a 10K rehab would boost the value from 150K to 210K. can you explain that?


     Sure. House is a foreclosure that needs mainly cosmetics. I'm also a GC and have a warehouse full of materials that I can utilize to bring it up to a nice rentable condition comparable to surrounding homes. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
    3y

    Ronald - What do you have in your expenses in your pro forma? Do you have all expected expenses including: principal, interest, taxes, utilities (not paid by tenant), sewer, insurance, maintenance/repairs, property management? Hopefully you do. I don't like to typically see negative cash flow in year 1 as you typically cash flow less than you think you will. However, I think you're plan to utilize proceeds to pay for the negative cash flow makes sense. As an alternative, you can also take out less of a loan and that would lower your overall loan payment as well. I would also put in an offer 15% less than asking to negotiate the price. For me, I would say if you can be "even" or slightly positive cash flow in Year 1 the deal makes sense - I just don't like planning to have negative cash flow from the start. Good Luck!

  • Contractor · Houston Texas · Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 37 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Greg Kasmer:

    Ronald - What do you have in your expenses in your pro forma? Do you have all expected expenses including: principal, interest, taxes, utilities (not paid by tenant), sewer, insurance, maintenance/repairs, property management? Hopefully you do. I don't like to typically see negative cash flow in year 1 as you typically cash flow less than you think you will. However, I think you're plan to utilize proceeds to pay for the negative cash flow makes sense. As an alternative, you can also take out less of a loan and that would lower your overall loan payment as well. I would also put in an offer 15% less than asking to negotiate the price. For me, I would say if you can be "even" or slightly positive cash flow in Year 1 the deal makes sense - I just don't like planning to have negative cash flow from the start. Good Luck!

     Thanks for the reply. I've added in all expenses except utilities, those are to be paid by the tenant. I've figured 5% across the board for vacancy, cap ex, and repairs/maintenance. Not considering those items, it would actually cash flow, but I'd definitely want to keep those included. I'm still working on it. Have put in an offer for 140, but there are multiple offers on the table, some of which are cash offers, so I don't have much faith that I'll get it. But the information I'm gaining will be helpful in the future on others that may be the same situation. I'm not crazy about a negative cash flow, but if it's only for a year or so, then I think I could put the cash up to cover it until such time as it does flow since I plan to hold the property for the long term.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Ronald Fontenot Jr it's a start.

    With your line of work, you should be able to find much uglier houses for better returns.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.