Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 25 votes
3y
Hey Mat, I don't specifically shoot for Section 8, but some solid places (C plus or B minus areas with good demand and good price to rent ratios) that I like for single family rentals in the Birmingham area are Adamsville (35005), Forestdale (35214), and Hueytown (35023 or 35061). Hope this helps!
Real Estate Agent · AL · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 3 votes
3y
Hi Mat, I'm actually an agent in the Birmingham area and tend to work with a lot of investors. If you'd be interested in working together, please shoot me a direct message and we can schedule a phone call for further conversation. Thanks.
Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 25 votes
3y
Hey Mat, I don't specifically shoot for Section 8, but some solid places (C plus or B minus areas with good demand and good price to rent ratios) that I like for single family rentals in the Birmingham area are Adamsville (35005), Forestdale (35214), and Hueytown (35023 or 35061). Hope this helps!
I'm currently looking to BRRRR a property in Birmingham (or surrounding areas) and rent out Section 8. Any suggestions for good zip codes?
I run my real estate business here in Birmingham, And have several rentals too. I'd say north of interstate 59/20 and West of I65 (and few on east), Lots of zip codes to list here, I will list some cities that you can google Bessemer (top on my list), Midfield, Fairfield Hueytown, Center point. Adamsville, Pleasant Grove. Hope this helps
I'm currently looking to BRRRR a property in Birmingham (or surrounding areas) and rent out Section 8. Any suggestions for good zip codes?
I run my real estate business here in Birmingham, And have several rentals too. I'd say north of interstate 59/20 and West of I65 (and few on east), Lots of zip codes to list here, I will list some cities that you can google Bessemer (top on my list), Midfield, Fairfield Hueytown, Center point. Adamsville, Pleasant Grove. Hope this helps
Hunter interesting comment about sec 8. I have been watching Birmingham for several months and am concerned that many of the areas mentioned in this thread have high crime issues. East Lake has high crime while Roebuck is 50% good and 50% not so good. Center Park Pkwy seems to be a dividing line. Overall crime D+.
We manage over 1,000 units in Jefferson County/the Birmingham metro area, and about 10% are occupied by tenants with Section 8 vouchers.
We observe that the majority of our Section 8 units are clustered in one of two general areas. The first is in northeast Birmingham, starting from the airport in the south up to Center Point and Pinson in the north. Specifically, we have Section 8 units in 35217, 35206, 35235, 35215, 35126.
The other area consists of suburbs in west Birmingham—all the way from McCalla down in the far southwest to places like Graysville in the far northwest. Notably, we manage Section 8 units (listed from southwest to northwest) in 35022, 35020, 35023, 35127, 35224, 35005, 35214, and 35073.
That said, it’s far more difficult to name the “best” zip codes for Section 8, since you would need to factor in numerous additional risk and reward factors (e.g. rent growth potential, neighborhood quality, vacancy risk, turnover risk, repair risk, etc.).
I'm currently looking to BRRRR a property in Birmingham (or surrounding areas) and rent out Section 8. Any suggestions for good zip codes?
You could come at this kind of sideways.
Find places that have the services and busineses that "income challenged" (RENTERS) like to use.
Best would be if within walking distance, things like rent to own furniture, liquor stores, convenience stores, fast food - McD's Jack in the Box, 24 hour car parts, health clinics, (Bus Stops), buy here pay here car sales, a grocery store, Target, WalMart, auto repair shops, etc..
Things they need and can afford.
If you buy in an expensive area and hope for a Section-8er to choose your place, it might not be as popular as something in an area where they can afford the services and get to them easily.
That way when you advertise you can say, 2 blocks from Jack in the Box and Target, and right on the Bus Route.
Hi everyone, I’m looking into investing in single-family rentals in the Birmingham, AL area and potentially focusing on Section 8 rentals. I’d appreciate real-world feedback from anyone familiar with the market there.
Section 8 Demand: How strong is the demand for Section 8 rentals in Birmingham/Jefferson County right now? Do Housing Authorities have long waitlists, and are units renting quickly? 🇺🇸 (I’ve read there’s a large tenant pool here but would like investor experience.)
Has anyone noticed population growth or rental stability in the metro area (not just downtown)? Are certain ZIP codes or neighborhoods better for long-term renters vs. others? (Jefferson County itself has ~670,000 people and the broader metro is over 1.1 M)
Is the Section 8 market saturated in Birmingham due to past investor activity? Are there streets/areas worth avoiding entirely because of crime or oversupply? Heard that investor buys have increased competition and tenant wear/tear in some areas.
Property Management: Which local property management companies have you used that are good with Section 8 properties? Any that do accept Section 8 and work closely with Housing Authorities? (I’ve seen some mentions of First Choice and others.)
Evictions & Operations: For out-of-state owners: How are evictions handled and how responsive are managers with tenant issues? Any experiences with timelines or difficulties getting issues resolved? BiggerPockets
Best ZIP Codes: Are there particular ZIP codes in Birmingham that you’ve found cheap properties (<~$100k) that still generate strong rents or Section 8 payment standards?
General Advice: Any advice on working with the Housing Authority (HABD, Bessemer, JC Housing) and getting units approved fast?
Thanks in advance — looking to connect with local experts or investors familiar with Birmingham.
Hi everyone, I’m looking into investing in single-family rentals in the Birmingham, AL area and potentially focusing on Section 8 rentals. I’d appreciate real-world feedback from anyone familiar with the market there.
Section 8 Demand: How strong is the demand for Section 8 rentals in Birmingham/Jefferson County right now? Do Housing Authorities have long waitlists, and are units renting quickly? 🇺🇸 (I’ve read there’s a large tenant pool here but would like investor experience.)
Has anyone noticed population growth or rental stability in the metro area (not just downtown)? Are certain ZIP codes or neighborhoods better for long-term renters vs. others? (Jefferson County itself has ~670,000 people and the broader metro is over 1.1 M)
Is the Section 8 market saturated in Birmingham due to past investor activity? Are there streets/areas worth avoiding entirely because of crime or oversupply? Heard that investor buys have increased competition and tenant wear/tear in some areas.
Property Management: Which local property management companies have you used that are good with Section 8 properties? Any that do accept Section 8 and work closely with Housing Authorities? (I’ve seen some mentions of First Choice and others.)
Evictions & Operations: For out-of-state owners: How are evictions handled and how responsive are managers with tenant issues? Any experiences with timelines or difficulties getting issues resolved? BiggerPockets
Best ZIP Codes: Are there particular ZIP codes in Birmingham that you’ve found cheap properties (<~$100k) that still generate strong rents or Section 8 payment standards?
General Advice: Any advice on working with the Housing Authority (HABD, Bessemer, JC Housing) and getting units approved fast?
Thanks in advance — looking to connect with local experts or investors familiar with Birmingham.
To simplify it for you
Stay south of interstate 20/59 corridor for areas where you'll actually be able to refinance based on values, demand, etc.
The city limits has been losing population over the last couple of years due to poor leadership in the city.
it's not going affect Section 8 because you don't have the demand in the suburbs for housing assistance. The Section 8 population lives in Birmingham.
You're buying to rent , so don't overcomplicate anything. Section 8 is a tenant. Leave it there.