Rehab by a management company or a contractor?

Rehab by a management company or a contractor?

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes

About the rehab step, it is commonly advised to work with a contractor but get advises from our property manager on the scope of works. 
But many property management companies also offer rehab services. I'm wondering if it's better to find a contractor by myself or let the management company do it. Shouldn't the management company know better what repairs/upgrades have better return in the local market? 

Appreciate if anyone can share your thoughts on this.

0Reply
17 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    It depends on the extent of the rehab. My rule of thumb is, if the job costs less than $300, let the property manager handle it.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Your biggest challenge will be "Maintaining to the Neighborhood" so you don't kill your ROI.

    A PMC is better equipped to determine that, versus a contractor who usually just wants to max out their scope of work at a location.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Your PMC should have a better idea of the scope of work needed to "Maintain to the Neighborhood" and not over improve a rental property.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 465 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    Hi Wenlong-

    This is a great question.

    I have three property managers I work with in Michigan in different areas.

    All of them do rehab services and I let them until I find I reason not to which has only happened once and mostly due to the contractor they selected and not workers from the management company.

    I like real estate being mostly passive and if I am managing contractors it becomes active very, very quickly.

    To your success!

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    It depends on the extent of the rehab. My rule of thumb is, if the job costs less than $300, let the property manager handle it.


    Thanks for the reply. But for a Rehab in BRRRR method kind of job. Would you recommend finding a a contractor your own? It just seems like there are too many management companies provide rehab service right now.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeff Roth:

    Hi Wenlong-

    This is a great question.

    I have three property managers I work with in Michigan in different areas.

    All of them do rehab services and I let them until I find I reason not to which has only happened once and mostly due to the contractor they selected and not workers from the management company.

    I like real estate being mostly passive and if I am managing contractors it becomes active very, very quickly.

    To your success!


    Are your property managers small or big? My PMC is kind of big and has in house rehab team. I found the work done last time just ok but expensive. What are your advices to find new PMC? Thanks

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 465 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    Hi-

    All three property management companies I use are smaller but have their own in-house maintenance people.

    I would ask on blogs like this for property manager referrals or Facebook groups for investors in your area.

    To your success!

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2023 · 235 posts · 255 votes
    3y

    I would reach out to both to see what they offer along with pricing. It also depends on the size of the team/operations and your scope. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.