Understanding the Refinance Waiting Period: Insights Wanted

Understanding the Refinance Waiting Period: Insights Wanted

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

My name is Ben and I'm fairly new to the real estate investment scene. I'm looking to understand the rationale behind the standard waiting period before a refinance can be issued by lenders or banks. Typically, this waiting period seems to be > 6 months.

Is there a specific reason for this timeline from the banks'/lenders' standpoint? Also, from an investor's perspective, is there a way to work around or eliminate this waiting period?

I'm keen on understanding this better from both sides of the fence. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin SimonBusiness Member
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Ben David:

Hello everyone,

My name is Ben and I'm fairly new to the real estate investment scene. I'm looking to understand the rationale behind the standard waiting period before a refinance can be issued by lenders or banks. Typically, this waiting period seems to be > 6 months.

Is there a specific reason for this timeline from the banks'/lenders' standpoint? Also, from an investor's perspective, is there a way to work around or eliminate this waiting period?

I'm keen on understanding this better from both sides of the fence. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!


 Hi Ben - I'd recommend checking out this article we published on BiggerPockets a short time ago - it goes over this very question and the different options in detail!  I'd be happy to discuss or help answer any questions as well!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/brrrr-loans-what-are-the-...

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    there are several ways / options to reduce it. for non-conventional loans - like DSCR loans - it can be 3-6 months.

    but if you're rehabbing something... it's likely going to take 3-6 months anyway.  so what's the issue?

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ben David:

    Hello everyone,

    My name is Ben and I'm fairly new to the real estate investment scene. I'm looking to understand the rationale behind the standard waiting period before a refinance can be issued by lenders or banks. Typically, this waiting period seems to be > 6 months.

    Is there a specific reason for this timeline from the banks'/lenders' standpoint? Also, from an investor's perspective, is there a way to work around or eliminate this waiting period?

    I'm keen on understanding this better from both sides of the fence. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you!


     Hi Ben - I'd recommend checking out this article we published on BiggerPockets a short time ago - it goes over this very question and the different options in detail!  I'd be happy to discuss or help answer any questions as well!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/brrrr-loans-what-are-the-...

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
    2y

    The reason for most lenders rules is simply the Fannie/ Freddie lending guidelines.

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    @Ben David you can certainly work with whomever you want to work with of course but we usually don't work with lenders that have seasoning.  If you are facing seasoning it's either because you are working with the wrong lenders or you have structured your deal incorrectly.  Sometimes the later thing happens when people are doing something "different".  

    If you need some help with finding "Real Estate Investing Friendly" lenders then read this post HERE.  It will also give you questions to ask lenders and suggestions on how to find good ones (as well as some other information too).  

    Thanks!

  • Ryan IrwinPro Member
    Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2022 · 158 posts · 129 votes
    2y

    @Ben David I just had this same thing come up when refinancing my BRRRR. I was able to work around it by paying off the mortgage and then getting a new loan with the additional principal based on the ARV appraisal.

    I was fortunate to have the capital available to do so, but this allowed me to refinance it in 6 months vs having to wait 12.

  • Lender · 17W662 Butterfield Road Suite 305 Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181 · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Cash-Out Refinance mortgage loans have waiting period depending on the loan programs. HUD requires 1 year on FHA loans, FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC REQUIRE 6 months and there's no waiting period normally on non-qm loans

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    @Gustan Cho you might want to double-check those guidelines again. 

  • Lender · 17W662 Butterfield Road Suite 305 Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181 · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Can you please be more specific?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Appraisals look back 6 months. So the sale of the subject property within 6 months is the best comparable sale for that property, since itnis thr actual sale of that property. So if it was worth $500k on July 1, it's appraised value will be $500k on August 15th, $500k on Sept 27th, $500k on Oct 31.....till you get outside the 6 month window.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.