Quick ways to estimate rehab scope from listing photos?

Quick ways to estimate rehab scope from listing photos?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 4 votes

I'm working on my screening process and want to get better at ruling out properties early—before spending time on walkthroughs and contractor bids.

For those actively doing BRRRRs: what do you look for in listing photos to quickly gauge whether a rehab is cosmetic vs. major work? Any red flags that make you immediately pass? Rules of thumb for estimating costs from photos alone?

I know nothing replaces actual bids, but I'd rather focus my time on the deals worth pursuing.

4Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Belmont, MA · Member since 2025 · 150 posts · 65 votes
8mo

When I look at photos for a BRRR deal, I am mostly trying to answer one simple question early on. Is this a paint and cleanup job, or is this a tear into the bones kind of house.

Cosmetic rehabs usually show tired finishes but straight lines. Old cabinets, dated baths, worn floors, and ugly paint are fine. What I get cautious about are photos that hint at water or movement. Stains on ceilings, dark spots around windows, sagging floors, cracked tile, or walls that look wavy often mean bigger and more expensive work.

Kitchens and bathrooms tell a lot. If you see missing cabinets, soft floors, or signs of leaks under sinks, that often points to plumbing or subfloor issues. Outside photos matter just as much. Uneven roof lines, old roofs, leaning porches, or heavy patchwork on siding usually mean structural or moisture problems.

For quick math from photos, I assume cosmetics only if everything looks solid and just ugly. The moment I see water damage or signs of movement, I add a big buffer or pass. This kind of quick filtering saves time, keeps you from chasing bad deals, and lets you spend your energy on properties that actually have a chance to work.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Central New York · Member since 2023 · 207 posts · 96 votes
    8mo
    It seems obvious, but big ticket items first. Roof, walls, foundation. If there’s mold, or leaks/cracking, often it’s a fairly intensive repair that can quickly kill a good chunk of upside. Warped floors are another big one as that can often indicate some underlying structural concerns. Not immediately a write off, but something that needs deeper looking into. And as unfortunate as it is, listing photos only show a small portion of the actual picture. Agents can be selective about what they do/don’t show, and professional photos can often cover up bigger issues. Best think I would recommend is absolutely getting boots on the ground and finding a local agent that gives detailed property tours. Nothing beats a detailed in person tour
  • Real Estate Broker · Belmont, MA · Member since 2025 · 150 posts · 65 votes
    8mo

    When I look at photos for a BRRR deal, I am mostly trying to answer one simple question early on. Is this a paint and cleanup job, or is this a tear into the bones kind of house.

    Cosmetic rehabs usually show tired finishes but straight lines. Old cabinets, dated baths, worn floors, and ugly paint are fine. What I get cautious about are photos that hint at water or movement. Stains on ceilings, dark spots around windows, sagging floors, cracked tile, or walls that look wavy often mean bigger and more expensive work.

    Kitchens and bathrooms tell a lot. If you see missing cabinets, soft floors, or signs of leaks under sinks, that often points to plumbing or subfloor issues. Outside photos matter just as much. Uneven roof lines, old roofs, leaning porches, or heavy patchwork on siding usually mean structural or moisture problems.

    For quick math from photos, I assume cosmetics only if everything looks solid and just ugly. The moment I see water damage or signs of movement, I add a big buffer or pass. This kind of quick filtering saves time, keeps you from chasing bad deals, and lets you spend your energy on properties that actually have a chance to work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    As others mentioned you are trying to gauge from the photos the size of the rehab. Is it outdated, cosmetic or need a total gut. Take into account age of the property (older can mean plaster, outdated wiring, old plumbing, etc), mechanicals, condition of kitchen/bathroom. These things can make your rehab jump. As you analyze bids you will get a grasp on the general cost based on SQ FT and the overall size of the home. Photos are limited in what you can tell, often the red flags or bad mechanicals won't be shown. 

  • Keyano BurgessBusiness Member
    Cleveland, OH · Member since 2024 · 32 posts · 23 votes
    8mo

    The first thing I would look at is overall exterior condition including the roof, driveway, siding and garage. Then I would look at the interior condition. Can cabinets be saved? Bathtubs? I almost always assume new floors and paint throughout so know what you're cost per square foot for these are. You'll also want to check age of mechanicals and assess the electrical condition. Another tip I can give is try to avoid buying houses where the utilities are not on, leaks usually always come up when you go to run the water for the first time.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Krissie Reinertson

    First off photos only tell you so much. Exterior are roofs and siding. When the roof needs replacing and siding is damaged that probably is 15K-20K before you ever get inside.

    Inside kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, paint, etc.

    Structural damage and mold typically are not shown in pictures. It might be in the property description.

    If you see the bottom 4 feet of drywall removed from walls that indicates flooding/mold.

    The more properties you go see you will start to see a pattern. When you are starting out it benefits you to physically go look at properties. You will learn so much.

    Happy to help.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8mo

    They NEVER take pictures of the problems , they only show what looks good .

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 921 votes
    8mo

    @Krissie Reinertson

    Hey Krissie, when screening from photos, some quick red flags I look for: roof stains or sagging, water damage or foundation cracks, old or missing appliances, outdated or damaged bathrooms/kitchens, and major exterior issues like siding or windows. Cosmetic stuff—paint, flooring, fixtures—can usually be estimated at $5–15k per unit, while anything structural, mechanical, or major systems can easily jump $30–50k+. I also compare to similar nearby rentals to see if the projected rehab makes sense for potential rent and resale. It’s not perfect, but it helps rule out deals without wasting time.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8mo

    Over all the full rehabs we have completed it typically averages out $50-$70/sqft.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.