BRRRR = BRRSRR Thoughts

BRRRR = BRRSRR Thoughts

Flipper/Rehabber · CO (colorado) · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 30 votes

Hi BP,

I’d like to generate a fresh thread to address an issue that is catching many new investors by surprise: The 6-month Seasoning period.

I'm now on my 3rd Rental. It was time to give the BRRRR strategy a try. I purchased my first multi-family property property - a duplex - with cash. Rehab is under way (also cash) and it is looking great at 45 days. Time to get cash-out refinancing lined up, now at about 45 days out from completion - and hopefully tenant occupancy.

Enter the 6-month Seasoning requirement. For a new investor, this "S" really came as a surprise on my first BRRRR deal. It was just a bit of a left hook for me to learn about how Fannie & Freddie require 6 months on title before funding a cash out refinance, particularly on an investment property. I have since put in a fair amount of hours trying to track down options, such as local and national portfolio lenders (which always seem to be at a higher APR), I've learned a bit about delayed financing, and I've had a few conversations with hard money lenders, which doesn't seem to be the best way to go this time being that I did already have the cash upfront to make this project possible.

I’m hoping that we can generate some new perspectives on this issue in today’s market, particularly with the onset Coronavirus issue now entering into market conditions. (Maybe this is a non-issue?) Or perhaps there is a podcast (or other BP posts) that I missed that goes into more details on this issue. I enjoyed reading @Brandon Turner’s book, but it strikes me that this issue is reasonably important and doesn’t receive as much attention as it could use.

For a relatively green investor without a large amount of capital on hand, BRRRR-ing 2 properties per year seems like a slow way to get out of the starting gate, albeit perhaps one of the safest ways to get going.

In my specific situation, I can certainly carry the property for the full 6-months on title that is required by most lenders to get the best cash out refinancing options available. But is that really the best way to proceed in my current situation? What other advice would you suggest when it's time to move onto my next BRRRR deal? I really enjoy rolling up my sleeves and doing the work, but I could use some advice making some important decisions now and in the future.

Thanks BP world. BP Rocks!

Alan, investing in Colorado

6Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Kenneth GarrettPro Member
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@Alan Mills

You could refinance using commercial lending.  There is no seasoning required.  The interest rate is higher and you have to own it an entity.   The interest rate might be 1% higher, but you can refinance whenever your ready.  If your trying to get your money out ASAP this is one method.  You can still rent it right away.  Take the cashflow and bank it till your ready on the refinance or put it in your pocket.  

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando , FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Alan Mills

  • Real Estate Agent & Investor · West Chester, PA · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Altenau

    It sounds like you are buying a property and waiting for the CO, correct?

    If so...

    I don't know New Jersey... but in PA, you hear some municipalities and boroughs saying you need before settlement... but that is their way to add pressure. Check with an attorney in NJ to see if you can get a conditional approval for CO, settle on the property, then get it done later.

    Good luck.

  • Hollywood, FL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Alan Mills Thank you got the post as I have exactly the same case. We have talked to many entities and in order to cash out we need to wait 6 months. There are portfolio lenders that will lend us 75%. I have also read the books and tried to watch all podcast but have not found where they talked about this subject which I found extremely important unless you want to recycle the money only twice a year which defeats the purpose of reusing your cash multiple times a year.

    Any guidance is welcome.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CO (colorado) · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    @Abdul Mondol

    BP Podcast 301 hosted Alex Felice and there (see starting at about the 20:00 mark) is some terrific advice that I'll look into moving forward on my future deals. Do check it out. But being that I bought using cash and am funding rehab through cash, I didn't get the rehab costs on the HUD at the time of purchase, as suggested by Alex, which is estimated at about $25k. So I don't think I'm going to be able to use delayed financing to get my capital out of both the purchase price and rehab costs this time. Being that my heloc (where I git the cash fir purchase and rehab) is still hanging in at around 4%, my safety net is to just get the duplex rented after rehab is done (roughly 3 months after purchase) and float it to the 6-month mark and then cash out refinance based on the ARV LTV, which I am confident will get me most, if not all, costs back. If COVID-19 ends up depressing home prices a bit, I'm okay with leaving a little capital in this one because it's a great deal. For now, I'll keep after my quest of trying to find a cash out refi lender (someone who can do delayed financing?) who's is licensed in Colorado and can get me as much of my purchase price and rehab costs back under 6-months, but I'm guessing I'm stuck waiting for 6 months from purchase date.

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Alan Mills Happy to help!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.