New here. Looking to actually start investing and making money.

New here. Looking to actually start investing and making money.

Cherry Point, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote

How do I actually start investing and finance deals, renovate them, and use the method above in real life instead of just listening to people talk about it..?

Really new here, so thanks in advance for the help and understanding!

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
6y
@Jacob, that question could potentially require hours to answer, there are so many strategies/tactics. That being said, @Ashton gave a decent answer. Utilizing your VA loan to house hack a duplex, triplex, or fourplex is a GREAT way to jump into real estate investing because it isn't less "scary" since you're buying a primary residence. It also carries less risk because you're living their anyway, and your BAH should be able to cover your monthly payment even if your tenant moves out. There are a lot of benefits in there. I will say that a lot of lenders are tightening up their lending requirements so you need to ensure you have solid cash reserves, debt-to-income ratios, and credit history to make yourself more competitive for financing (and good terms). I would be happy to talk with you, either of you, and help in any way possible. There are some pretty awesome military REI communities out there, and I love connecting service members to peers who are already doing what they want to achieve!
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    Hi Jacob! I'd recommend reading David Greene's BRRRR book - it answered a lot of questions for me and gives you tons of actionable steps.

    I'm also AD military - I highly recommend looking into using your VA loan benefits for a house-hack type investment!

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    6y
    @Jacob, that question could potentially require hours to answer, there are so many strategies/tactics. That being said, @Ashton gave a decent answer. Utilizing your VA loan to house hack a duplex, triplex, or fourplex is a GREAT way to jump into real estate investing because it isn't less "scary" since you're buying a primary residence. It also carries less risk because you're living their anyway, and your BAH should be able to cover your monthly payment even if your tenant moves out. There are a lot of benefits in there. I will say that a lot of lenders are tightening up their lending requirements so you need to ensure you have solid cash reserves, debt-to-income ratios, and credit history to make yourself more competitive for financing (and good terms). I would be happy to talk with you, either of you, and help in any way possible. There are some pretty awesome military REI communities out there, and I love connecting service members to peers who are already doing what they want to achieve!
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @David Pere do you have any recommendations for resources/books about using the VA loan? My wife and I are both new to REI as well and are trying to using this quarantine to help on the education side. Also would love help connecting with military REI community!

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    6y
    @Tyler, I have written (2) articles on BiggerPockets about the VA loan (just search "VA loan" and they will pop up), recorded a (5) video series on YouTube, and have a friend who has written a decent book about it. Hit me up if you would like more info on the book.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Buller:

    How do I actually start investing and finance deals, renovate them, and use the method above in real life instead of just listening to people talk about it..?

    Really new here, so thanks in advance for the help and understanding!

     Welcome aboard Jacob.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.