Completed Long Distance BRRR of Turnkey Purchase

Completed Long Distance BRRR of Turnkey Purchase

Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes

I always see so many questions about turnkey properties, long-distance investing, and BRRR'ing properties so I thought I'd share my first investment experience since it consists of all these things.

Details:

Purchased this property in March of 2019 for $107,500 from a turnkey provider using traditional financing and 20% down payment at 5.875%. It is located in a Plainfield, IN which is a suburb of Indianapolis with a great school district, growing population, quick access to the airport and downtown, and is located near large shopping plaza. The plan was always to convert the den into a 3rd bedroom once the renters moved out, which I’d hoped wouldn’t be for a long time, but ended up being 9 months after purchase due to an unexpected death of my tenant’s father. The quality of work performed by the turnkey provider was questionable (at best), and I knew there was work to be done. After getting a contractor out to take a look at the den for adding a closet and converting it to an additional bedroom I learned the full extent of the cover up work done by the turnkey provider’s contractors.

Rehab:

Despite having new vinyl flooring installed upon purchase, the flooring was installed so poorly that it had to be completely replaced again less than 1 year later throughout all 1200+ sq. ft of the house. The house had several floor joists and trusses in the attic that were cut through in order to run venting and pipes that needed to be shored up, some rotted subflooring that was discovered in the bathroom, some drywall needed to be replaced, the whole house was repainted, added a water softener due to the hard water from the well leading to discoloration of the tub, and upgraded the fixtures to make it look nicer. All in, the renovation cost 12k and gave me some additional peace of mind because I knew there was some things that needed to be addressed following the poor work done by the turnkey company.

Refinance:

Last month I wrapped up my refinance of the property and was pleasantly surprised to see that it appraised for 152k which allowed me to refinance at a better rate of 4.75% and get much of my money back out of the property. I really struggled with the decision of whether or not to pull out as much as I could with an 80%LTV or to stay a little more conservative to improve the cash flow and give me more flexibility with my equity. I ended up staying more conservative and refinancing at 70% LTV which allowed me to pull-out about 19k and thus recouped my cost of rehab + 7k of my down payment back. This was initiated pre-COVID 19 and the refinance was a long process with a lot of setbacks and issues that came up. I have to thank @Michael Facchini for getting the loan to close and showing what a stand up job he and his team can do in a chaotic environment.

Financial details:

Pre-Rehab the property rented for $1225/month with a mortgage (PITI) of $732/month which after budgeting 10% for PM, 8% for cap ex, 8% for repairs, and 8% for vacancy left me with ~$75/mo cash flow. Post-Rehab the rent was only able to increase to $1250/mo, but I also had the vacancy in January and early February which made it more challenging to find tenants since it literally went on the market the first week of January after the holidays. So the numbers work out to $1250/mo rent and a new mortgage of $790 leaving me with a projected cash flow of $40/month. This is part of why I chose a lower LTV was to keep positive cash flow while still enabling me to pull out 19k to keep as reserves for the property which has proven especially important with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Doing this project from out of state presented a lot of challenges for me and I relied heavily on the contractors and my PM to provide me with updates, pictures, lots of phone conversations, and a great deal of learning for how to navigate a long-distance rehab. I found the contractors from a recommendation from another BP member (@Mike D'Arrigo) and they did a great job and were fantastic to work with. I relied a lot on the advice and recommendations from fellow BP members in the Indianapolis area to help get this project to completion so I appreciate all the help. While I know that BRRR'ing a turnkey investment from out of state will likely go south more often than not, this one has worked out for me and I look forward to growing my portfolio.

4Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
6y

@Scott Passman wow that’s awesome! Very rare that you hear of someone able to add value and pull money out of a turnkey deal but seems like you got a good one

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Wonderful story. Very inspiring.  Congratulations on getting your money out and having a successful deal!! 40 a month cash flow plus loan pay down is a pretty good return on the 5K you left in the deal!

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Scott Passman glad to hear everything worked out for you . Congratulations! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    6y

    @Scott Passman wow that’s awesome! Very rare that you hear of someone able to add value and pull money out of a turnkey deal but seems like you got a good one

  • Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Scott Passman Thank you for sharing your experience. I am a newbie and I had a basic question about this statement "This is part of why I chose a lower LTV was to keep positive cash flow while still enabling me to pull out 19k to keep as reserves for the property". If I understand this correctly, you are stating that a higher LTV would have impacted your post refi PITI and therefore would have impacted your cash-flow such that it may not have been +$40?

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Very nice @Scott Passman!  @Mateen Qureshi Scott wasn't quite able to pull all of his cash out of this BRRRR without sacrificing his cashflow cushion, so he had to decide higher leverage / lower cashflow or higher equity / higher cashflow. Given this environment, I think having slightly less leverage for more of a cashflow cushion is a smart decision. He can always decide to refi later as the property appreciates (albeit for a bit of a cost... but totally doable).

  • Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Hutten Thank you for your response

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.