Investor · Edina, MN · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 17 votes
9y
I bought a duplex for $56,000 that I never saw. Two months after owning it the home burned down. Thankfully no one was hurt. I got $190,000 in insurance money, 6 months rent and ended up selling the lot. Pretty good return for a few months of "work".
Investor · Edina, MN · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 17 votes
9y
I bought a duplex for $56,000 that I never saw. Two months after owning it the home burned down. Thankfully no one was hurt. I got $190,000 in insurance money, 6 months rent and ended up selling the lot. Pretty good return for a few months of "work".
Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
8y
The numbers in Ontario sound very good. Have they risen to the point where the returns are now back to normal, or are there still good deals in the area?
@Hai Loc sounds like Ontario is returning pretty good right now. What are your thoughts?
this transaction took place 2 years ago.. that time was nice yes.. I coulda waited a bit longer but who knows.. A lot of people who bought earlier this year are crying right now..
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
My best was my recent 9 unit property in Berwyn. My partner and I bought it for 56k per door, and market price per door is 75k! We have improved the rents by almost $1,000 per month, and we are going to increase the value by a quarter million dollars in one year.
Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 54 votes
8y
We made loans on many deals were borrower flipped property in 120 days returning almost 100% cash on cash return. The annualized cash on cash return exceeded 300%!
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y
A few in different asset class
Land and timber.. = 200 acres Washington county ORegon paid 1.8 got timber advance at 1.7 with no points or interest.. ended up in the land 100k sold lots 4 lots for 125k each . then sold the remaining 160 for 1.5 million to Metro for a park.. Sans tree's.
Foreclosure... bought court house step for 125k.. house was human tragedy to much to explain.. the lady who lost it though owned the 4 acres behind it.. I traded her the house and 150k for the 4 acres.
Most guys in this bizz would have kicked her out no matter her human tragedy and flipped it and made the 50k I was thinking I would make.. but I new something about land use and development so I made the deal plus I paid cash so no lender to appease.
Sold 4 acres 7 months later to a developer for 925k cash.. so nice pay day on that one in less than a year.
Land in Path of progress: 4 acres Rohnert Park CA: bought for 27k in 1994 cash unbuildable.. city expands its now in the city and zoned high density residential on the market for 3 mil but I will be happy with 2 million.. net profit 1.950.000 when it finally cooks off Maybe 2.9 and now with the fires we are looking at building it ourselves and keeping it ( which is not my business).. but of course no cash flow.. but oh well 27k for 2 to 3 million 20 years later I will take it.
Other land in path of progress: 110 Washington county Oregon silicon Forest.. optioned it for 5.5 million
put 250k down and been paying 125k a year in option fee's since 09.. all credit towards purchase price.
So no interest carry.. but no deduction either ..
when it comes into the city value about 60 million.. again no cash flow but who cares.. LOL
New construction my best margins have been Charleston SC were margins on new construction have been in the 20 to 30% of gross which is un heard of in the PDX market were my margins here are 15% on a good day 20% on a great day.. but we do 30 a year.
So all good now.. of course we have our short term financing product that cooks off like the post above with some in the 200 to 300% range when you get an early payoff.. but most average in the 25 to 30% aprs.. pretty common for early payoffs.
Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 27 votes
8y
Still pretty new but completing my first solo wholesale deal tomorrow. Seller contacted me off of a mailer interested in selling his property for $125k. Noticed significant new build development around the property so called one of the active developers working in the area. They agreed to pay $136k. Making $11k with no money in the deal except for my marketing costs. Closing tomorrow! No home run but a solid first solo deal.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 20 votes
8y
So, we(the whole family) leased a castle for fifteen years, in UK. It has 45 suites inside. The land has 25 "huts" outdoor. We put in a Hotel Manager. Furnished the whole place up and got 5 star accreditation. We're pocketing a mil a year, after all the expenses.
The lease needed 5 years of rent upfront. We needed high quality furniture and needed to put in a super big management team.
Initial costs were 40mil. We got our capital back, just 5 years into it.
We're going under renovations, but it's still making money.
Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I made nearly 1/2 Million in equity the day I closed on a 22 unit deal I just bought (12 homes& 5 duplexes). Purchased at $790k appraised for $1,264,725, and I am going to add value too (~200k work). Rents should be about $18,600 when complete and ~$1.55mil value. I'll refinance it at 70% LTV for $1,085,000
My 32 unit deal I did in June was a really solid deal too. Purchased at $1,062,000, appraised for $1,390,000. After we finish adding value (~$180k) it will bring in about $24k a month in gross rents and be worth around 1.75-1.8mil.
Land and timber.. = 200 acres Washington county ORegon paid 1.8 got timber advance at 1.7 with no points or interest.. ended up in the land 100k sold lots 4 lots for 125k each . then sold the remaining 160 for 1.5 million to Metro for a park.. Sans tree's.
Foreclosure... bought court house step for 125k.. house was human tragedy to much to explain.. the lady who lost it though owned the 4 acres behind it.. I traded her the house and 150k for the 4 acres.
Most guys in this bizz would have kicked her out no matter her human tragedy and flipped it and made the 50k I was thinking I would make.. but I new something about land use and development so I made the deal plus I paid cash so no lender to appease.
Sold 4 acres 7 months later to a developer for 925k cash.. so nice pay day on that one in less than a year.
Land in Path of progress: 4 acres Rohnert Park CA: bought for 27k in 1994 cash unbuildable.. city expands its now in the city and zoned high density residential on the market for 3 mil but I will be happy with 2 million.. net profit 1.950.000 when it finally cooks off Maybe 2.9 and now with the fires we are looking at building it ourselves and keeping it ( which is not my business).. but of course no cash flow.. but oh well 27k for 2 to 3 million 20 years later I will take it.
Other land in path of progress: 110 Washington county Oregon silicon Forest.. optioned it for 5.5 million
put 250k down and been paying 125k a year in option fee's since 09.. all credit towards purchase price.
So no interest carry.. but no deduction either ..
when it comes into the city value about 60 million.. again no cash flow but who cares.. LOL
New construction my best margins have been Charleston SC were margins on new construction have been in the 20 to 30% of gross which is un heard of in the PDX market were my margins here are 15% on a good day 20% on a great day.. but we do 30 a year.
So all good now.. of course we have our short term financing product that cooks off like the post above with some in the 200 to 300% range when you get an early payoff.. but most average in the 25 to 30% aprs.. pretty common for early payoffs.
@jay hinrichs those stories merit their own podcast!
Rental Property Investor · Medford, OR · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 27 votes
8y
Best Equity
89k purchase for 4 bed 1 bath in Medford Oregon. First walk through I found the house burned heavily in 1987 and rebuilt to new code minus some plumbing and kitchen (probate had no idea). New roof system with trusses, New drywall, insulation, HVAC with ducting, wired smoke and CO in a cool 40's cottage all completed already. Worth 195k-205k in less 1 year. 15k rehab I spent. Rents for 1330 a month. 100k rough in equity, it made money monthly day 1 even with 12% private money loan before refi.
Best easy money
Cashflow day 1. Empty lot in Medford OR with a 900 Sq ft shop. Purchased for 55k owner carry and rented shop for 900 a month day 1. Payment is 230 mo. Next I will build the rental unit that will rent for 1300-1600. No water or sewer on property. No maintenance at all minus deferred.
Best Flip
91k Purchase 4/2017 Sold 199k full price offer in 6 days 9/2017 in Grants Pass OR
Still pretty new but completing my first solo wholesale deal tomorrow. Seller contacted me off of a mailer interested in selling his property for $125k. Noticed significant new build development around the property so called one of the active developers working in the area. They agreed to pay $136k. Making $11k with no money in the deal except for my marketing costs. Closing tomorrow! No home run but a solid first solo deal.
Was this sort of like a bird dogging deal, where you didn't need to do anything but find it and tell the buyer about it?