A Minnesota (Twin Cities) Unofficial BiggerPockets Meetup?!

A Minnesota (Twin Cities) Unofficial BiggerPockets Meetup?!

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

(Original Message: Hey folks - I'm gonna be coming into Minnesota (the Minneapolis and Saint Paul area) from about the 28th through the 2nd - is anyone up for a BiggerPockets meetup while I'm in town? I don't know my schedule exactly, but I'd be open for suggestions, ideas, or whatever.

Maybe the 30th, in the evening? Thoughts?)

1Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 1 vote
13y

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I think Joseph's Grill is a good choice.
If had got here sooner, I would have recommended Hibachi Grill and Supreme buffet, mostly because they sing birthday songs with the words "happy burstday".
Not sure if that is a language thing or they mean the day you burst from your mothers womb, either way, it's awesome!

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Ah, I'm going to be in Denver for a wedding that weekend. I'll be around the evenings of the 28th or 29th, otherwise I'm out. Keep me posted.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    13y

    @Brandon Turner I'm open for the 30th to the 1st, other dates might be possible just depends. Great idea Brandon hopefully we can get others to chime in here.

  • Jeromie HamannPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    How about the evening of the 28th?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    28th might work - thoughts? Last time I had a meetup on a weeknight, people complained though! @Jeromie Hamann any good ideas on locations, central to everything? Roseville area maybe? Downtown St Paul or Minneapolis?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    The 28th would be great for me. Most of the local REI clubs hold meetings on Tues or Thurs and have a great turnout. Once the date is set I'll try to pass the info along to some local REI clubs.

    Another idea is to contact Pine Financial once you pick a date. They're a popular HML based in Denver but lend in Minnesota. They have a large contact list to help get the word out to investors in the Twin Cities area. They do a lot of free classes for investors.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Timothy Gillette:
    The 28th would be great for me. Most of the local REI clubs hold meetings on Tues or Thurs and have a great turnout. Once the date is set I'll try to pass the info along to some local REI clubs.

    Another idea is to contact Pine Financial once you pick a date. They're a popular HML based in Denver but lend in Minnesota. They have a large contact list to help get the word out to investors in the Twin Cities area. They do a lot of free classes for investors.

    They are really good guys, Kevin is legit for sure. Glad to see they are doing more than just Denver/colorado these days!

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    13y

    How about some folks from WI that might want to swing on over.

    Maybe we could have some more members chime in here for some feedback.

    @Rhodaline Dekyi-Arthur @Carol Ann Reed @Tory Dyck @Tyler Nelson @Eric Gutierrez @Chris D. @tombecklund @wendybk

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    West End in St Louis Park is a great common ground. If we try to get some Wisconsin folks maybe Roseville makes more sense. I'd say Toby Keith's in St Louis Park or Stouts Pub in Roseville.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I would be interested in meeting. I am open to meeting anywhere, preferably in the later evening, around 7 or 8 pm.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2013 · 360 posts · 110 votes
    13y

    I'd love to meet up! Would we be able to hear each other talk in Toby Keith's?

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I am around on the 28th...anyplace in Mpls or SP would work.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Alright, so it looks like the 28th is going to be the date, probably at 7:00 PM. Now we just need a location. We'll probably need a dozen seats, so it's not a ton. I've never been to Toby Keith's - is that too loud? Not that we need it silent, but it's nice to be able to hear! Thoughts? Anyone local wanna take the lead on this? :)

  • Accountant · MN · Member since 2008 · 142 posts · 25 votes
    13y

    Dick's Bar & Grill in Osseo (right next to Brooklyn Park and Maple Grove). Best bar in Minnesota as far as I'm concerned, plus we can push tables together for the group.

    Full Disclosure, my father own's the place. But even if he didn't I stand my "Best Bar in MN" comment. :)

    Cheers!

    Phil

  • Jeromie HamannPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Never been to Dick's, I'll have to check it out sometime!

    If we're looking to include some Wisconsin folks, I'd recommend Roseville. For big groups, I've had good luck with Granite City (if you're early/make a reservation)... Otherwise Famous Dave's, Old Chicago, and Khan's Mongolian BBQ tend to be quieter. Anyone else care to pitch in??

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Ah - Old Chicago is always amazing! I've also not been to Dick's but sounds interesting too - though I agree, Roseville might be the best centrally located?@Boone Greenly - do you have a thought?

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    I would love to attend this meeting,

    but my schedule would not allow me too

    Heck, I been waiting for an excuse to visit Mall of America

    Maybe next spring / summer

    Have a nice meet up

    Ramon

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Maple Grove, MN · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I just moved back home to Minnesota and was actually just looking into the local REIA when I got a "Minnesota" keyword alert from BP. This sounds like a good time so I will definitely be there.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Ward 6 is an up and coming place in the Payne/Phalen area off 35E. Also meet ups happen at Grumpy's in Roseville; I haven't been able to make one yet. Are you looking to just hang out in the restaurant/bar or have a meeting place/back room? I think you may get more than a dozen people when the word gets out.

    Cindy

  • Contractor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Would love to meet some fellow BP members, it'll be tough for me to make it, but may be a possibility. If I can can make it, I'll let you know as far as getting a space and all that stuff.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey @Cindy Silkett - I don't know anything about the Payne/Phalen area - or about Grumpy's. Do they have room? I'm thinking a place to eat/drink would be fine - but preferably not in a super loud area of a restaurant where we have to sit at separate tables would be ideal - so maybe a "back room" of some kind? Thoughts?

  • Accountant · MN · Member since 2008 · 142 posts · 25 votes
    13y

    Ok, if not Dicks then how about Joseph's in Saint Paul. They have a private room but even the main bar area has never been too loud. Not downtown so there is plenty of parking. Good beer and appetizer specials after 8pm.

    I have no affiliation with this one. :)

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    13y

    Well shoot, I'm moving to Minneapolis that weekend. Plan is to arrive on the first at some time and I've already got some job interviews set up. I can't make the 28th, and sounds like others can't, but I would love to meet some BPers out there and in that area. For those of us who can't make that date I suggest we meetup anyways. I've got to meet investors there so I can hit the ground running. PM for those that are interested!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey @Phil C. - Josephs looks like a good option - though it says their banquet room seats 85, which is going to be way bigger than we need I think. The bar area is pretty good though, for seating? Would fitting 10-20 people there work?

  • Rental Property Investor · Englewood FL & Prior Lake, MN · Member since 2012 · 107 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    I'd love to meet, but I'm going to be out of town on other business through Thursday the 28th. Friday night would be great or anytime over the weekend.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Everyone - I officially have a reservation in at Josephs in Saint Paul for Wednesday August 28th at 7:00 pm. I know a lot of people said they can't make that date - so I definitely want to encourage people to get together at another time without me in addition to this meetup!

    So for those who can make it - let me know in this thread!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.