I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
Yes you can use a HELOC to do your first deal. A lot of investors use their HELOC money to do BRRRR deals out of state in the midwest. Common for cali and FL investors to buy in the midwest.
I've got 30 rental units in Columbus and help oos investors buying here. Your other option is using hard money then refinancing DSCR.
You want to buy brrrr deals at 75% ARV and make sure they are in C+ locations or better. Layout sells deals!
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
2mo
@Tony Ramirez I'll answer what you spoke about in your initial post but there are lots of ways to get started. And there will be plenty of people who will say "this way" or "that way" is how you should start. Don't hold it against them. That's how they got started so they believe in that specific method strongly. Same with me. I will have some strong opinions about things as well. Lots of people will just buy another primary home every so often. Again, not everybody can do that though. So, keep searching for the way that works for you.
Now, should we use a HELOC in how you mentioned above. The answer is a no, but that doesn't mean you should have a HELOC.
What I mean is that a HELOC is NOT designed to be a permanent financing solution. Two of the common areas of concern for HELOCs I see out there is the 10 year maturity date and the adjustable rate. Since HELOCs have adjustable rates they will often catch people off guard when they adjust. What will rates be in 5 years? Who knows? That's called risk. Unknown = risk. The 10 year maturity date is where the HELOC will modify into a different product all together. Meaning after opening the HELOC, 10 years later it will cease to be a HELOC. It will "mature" into a 20 year fixed rate mortgage that you can no longer draw on. And when it matures the rate will increase. I've seen typical numbers of 1%-2% higher than your current rate.
What HELOCs are designed for is to be a giant credit card. And just like any credit card, you need a plan to pay it back. So if you use it to say....buy another property. Then flip that property...thus paying back your Line of Credit. Then that's perfect! Because you will never get surprised by an adjusting rate or keeping a balance on it. HELOCs are PERFECT for people who have a plan to pay it back (like flipping).
On the other hand, if you were going to use that Line of Credit for the downpayment on a property that you were looking to buy and hold for 30 years....this would be very counterproductive. Because now you are borrowing 100% of your property value. You are starting in the hole from day 1. None of us buy a property at 100% LTV. We have to have equity in the property, so that our loan is lower, so that our rent will cover the loan payment. Maybe if you are renting out each room...or doing some sort of short term rent (like Air BNB) then your numbers would be better but borrowing 100% of the value is ill-advised. Even when you purchase your own home, you probably needed some type of downpayment.
I don't mean this to discourage you. You would see this once you started analyzing deals anyway. So, I'm just sharing what you would eventually find out on your own.
So, how should you start? That's the magical question that everyone asks. Most of us do the BRRRR Method, or Sub To, or some other creative method that allows us to build in the equity we need. Those are just ideas. Keep searching. Keep learning. And keep talking to those passionate people that firmly believe that "their way" is the best. You'll find what works for you.
Investor · Sterling, VA · Member since 2026 · 89 posts · 48 votes
2mo
Congrats on taking the first step. A few thoughts that helped me early on:
• Don't let the HELOC convince you to stretch on a deal just because the capital is available. Treat that borrowed money as if it has an even higher interest rate than it does. • Conservative underwriting, to me, means assuming things will go wrong: higher vacancy, maintenance, CapEx, property management (even if you self-manage), insurance/tax increases, and a buffer for unexpected repairs. • Stress test every deal. Ask yourself, “If rent drops 10% or a major repair hits in year one, am I still comfortable owning this property?” • Since you’re buying out of state, your property manager is just as important as the property itself. Spend as much time vetting them as you do analyzing the deal.
I’d rather pass on ten marginal deals than buy one that only works if everything goes perfectly.
That last mindset saved me from several deals I would’ve regretted.
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
Hey @Tony Ramirez, welcome to the BP Forum! Which property types interest you most, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking at Bham or some other market in AL?
Wishing you the best on your first investment! It's great that you're taking the time to learn before jumping in. If you have any financing questions along the way, feel free to reach out. We work with investors on DSCR loans, Fix & Flip financing, and other investment property loan programs. Happy to help however I can
Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2022 · 88 posts · 21 votes
2mo
If you're using the heloc to purchase a property ideally you want to find something you can add value too so you can refinance the heloc money out and get into a regular 30 year fixed. I dont know how much capital you have available to you from the heloc. But typically you'd want to use it how it's designed to be used "line of credit". I wouldn't use it as a long term financing solution. If you have a particular scenario message me. I can help you try to strategize with some basic info.
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
Yes you can use a HELOC to do your first deal. A lot of investors use their HELOC money to do BRRRR deals out of state in the midwest. Common for cali and FL investors to buy in the midwest.
I've got 30 rental units in Columbus and help oos investors buying here. Your other option is using hard money then refinancing DSCR.
You want to buy brrrr deals at 75% ARV and make sure they are in C+ locations or better. Layout sells deals!
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
"Risks I should be aware of?" You could lose your home.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2mo
Florida to Alabama is actually a smart combo tax wise, no state income tax on your end and Alabama's rates run pretty low too, so you're not stacking two high tax states on top of each other. I'm in Florida myself, so I get the appeal of looking elsewhere for better numbers while keeping the tax side simple at home.
On the HELOC, whether the interest is deductible comes down to what you actually use the money for, not the loan type itself. Put it toward the Alabama property and that interest is generally deductible against the rental income, as long as you keep a clean paper trail showing where the funds went. Financing the rest separately keeps that trail simpler since there's zero ambiguity about what the loan was for. Cash is the cleanest of all, just ties up more of your capital.
Underwriting conservatively is really more of a numbers question, so I'll let other people here weigh in on that piece. One thing I'd add from the tax side though, don't forget to factor depreciation and a possible cost seg study into your underwriting from the jump, that changes your real after tax cash flow more than people expect when they're just running rent minus expenses.
Property Manager · Warsaw · Member since 2026 · 107 posts · 37 votes
2mo
Hi,
HELOC: Adds leverage risk — your home is now tied to the deal's performance. Use it for the down payment, not the whole purchase; finance the rest with a regular mortgage.
Underwrite conservatively means:
Rent: low-end comps
Vacancy: 5-8%
CapEx/repairs: 8-10% of rent
Property mgmt: include even if self-managing
Use real tax/insurance quotes, not seller's
Should still cash flow positive after all that
Template: BiggerPockets rental calculator is a good free start.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2mo
The risk is that if you mess up your investment then you have your heloc drawn and could potentially lose your primary residence if you run out of money
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2mo
What type of property are you looking at? I think Alabama sounds like a good choice and would add that some sort of small multi-unit in the 2-4 unit range would be good too - since that would likely get you the most cash flow and cushion
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
You're asking the right questions before jumping in, which is a huge advantage. A HELOC can be a useful tool, but make sure the deal can handle the extra debt and you still have reserves for surprises. Conservative underwriting means assuming higher expenses, realistic rents, vacancies, and repairs instead of hoping everything goes perfectly. Since you're already looking out of state, don't limit yourself to one market, Midwest markets like Ohio are worth comparing because lower acquisition costs can create more room for cash flow and value-add opportunities. The key is finding the right deal and the right local team.
Real Estate Agent · Worcester county · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 3 votes
2mo
Off the rip i feel like you are partaking in a number of exceptionally risky behaviors for being so inexeprienced.
There aren't steadfast rules but i would heed them considering where you are in your journey:
- always invest in a market you are familiar with over one you are not. You could be working with the best agent on the moon with all of the accolades and best intentions and it won't compare to having first-hand knowledge of where you're investing. Start local-ish where at the very least you are within a short distance from your property if need be.
- HELOC's are tremendous tools of leverage that most folks aren't aware of. However, you are putting a lien position on your home; it's not free money (not that you thought it was). I would save the HELOC for a couple investment down the road if possible once you have your portfolio started and you know what to expect reasonably. Again, not that you'll shoot yourself in the foot here but as a first time investment OUT of state? i would not be also leveraging my residence off the bat.
- Underwriting comes in a million different flavors for different investors and locations, really. "Conservative" is too nebulous a term to uphold and you're right to questions wtf it means. I'm in the north east and i would consider myself a conservative undewriter though there are likely more conservative; what that means for me is: - 1% rule is now like 1.15-1.25%: your rental income on the property needs to be at LEAST 1.15-1.25% of purchase price. This is step one back of napkin before i'll take another look at a property. Real quick, if the property doesnt' pass this, i move on.
- underwrite considering the unexpected. I believe BP used to suggest 15% off the top of gross income for cap ex, maintenance, vacancy savings. Again, depending on the market you're in, that might work well though generic. You'll want to know the vacancy rates in the area you're investing in so you can more accurately underwrite. Was this property recently turned? new boiler? new roof? units turned? All of these matter when determining what to set aside for cap-ex and maintenance expenses. Some deals might require you to alter those numbers dramatically (if it won't compromise how prudent the investment is) in order to get a deal done. - property management: probably the biggest reason why i wouldn't recommend you take on a first investment in another state. PM's around here charge anywhere from 3-8% to manage. You're going to have a single property somewhere out of state which won't be top of mind for almost any PM company. You'll need to vet them like your life depended on it and even still you'll be putting your investment in the hands of folks who interview well but might not give a **** about your single property in their book for hundreds. You'll need to underwrite considering property management fees.
In general, aside from the specific minutia, we all kind of know what it means to be conservative; don't let your pie-in-the-sky hopes of a property sway you from being objective. You ARE going to find a property that you love that you want that likely isn't ideal for your buy box and you'll be quick to find ways to justify your decision. Work dilligently with your agent and befriend solid local investors to bounce deals off. Make decisions based on the numbers not off the conclusion you started with then later fudged numbers to make work.
I'm an investor focused agent and the biggest asset i've found is attending local REI meet ups. My brokerage happens to host them state wide, soon to be nation wide but in general, every state has them somewhere. Find them. Go routinely and find investors to build relationships with. If they're worth their salt they'll be more helpful than the agents as they often times have ulterior motives and other incentives than you. The more time you spend around people doing what you want to the more you learn and more importantly the more you learn REAL WORLD application and the very real pitfalls you're likely to experience as you move forward.
I'm almost positive without having read through these comments yet that most people will suggest you do not invest out of state for your first at bat.
Best of luck in your journey and if you ever need some resources feel free to reach out? My whole team is investor focused and we eat this for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I'm new to real estate investing and currently looking to purchase my first investment property. I live in Florida, but I'm focusing on out-of-state markets to get the best value for my money. Right now, I'm working with a realtor in Alabama to help me find the right deal.
Here's my current strategy:
I opened a HELOC on my primary home to fund either a cash purchase or a down payment. My goal is to leverage my home's equity instead of using my personal savings.
I have a few questions for those with more experience:
Does using a HELOC for my first investment make sense, or are there risks I should be aware of?
Would you recommend using the HELOC for a down payment and financing the rest, or purchasing the property with cash?
I often hear people say to "underwrite conservatively." What does that actually look like in practice?
Is anyone willing to share how they underwrite a rental property or point me toward a good underwriting template or process?
Lastly, I'm looking for a real estate mentor or advisor who wouldn't mind answering questions as I learn. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me a message.
Thanks in advance—I appreciate any advice from those who've been through this before!
Welcome to BP, @Tony Ramirez Cost seg and depreciation only help you right now if you can actually use the losses against your other income in the year they're generated. Since you'll be out of state and almost certainly using a property manager rather than running this thing hands on, that rental activity falls under the passive activity rules by default. There's a $25,000 special allowance that lets active participants offset W2 income with rental losses, but it phases out completely once your income crosses $150,000, and phases out partially before that. If you're above that number, the depreciation and any cost seg losses don't disappear, they just get suspended and carried forward until you either have passive income to offset them against or sell the property. So the big write off everyone talks about with cost seg might not actually touch your tax bill this year at all depending on where your income lands, it's more of a banked benefit for later. Worth running your actual numbers with a CPA before assuming the depreciation is doing anything for you day one.
This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice.
Just want to thank everyone who has respond to this post. The reply were definitely eye opening. I am currently going to change my strategy to something that makes more sense. Maybe a BRRRR. Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks again!
Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
2mo
You're asking the right questions before buying, which is a great sign.
A few thoughts:
A HELOC can be a powerful tool, but remember you're leveraging your primary residence to buy an investment. Make sure the property can comfortably cover both the investment loan (if any) and the additional HELOC payment.
Personally, I'd rather use the HELOC as a down payment and finance the rest than tie up all of my available equity in one property. Keeping some liquidity gives you flexibility for repairs, vacancies, or your next deal.
Conservative underwriting means assuming things won't go perfectly. For example:
Use rents that are supported by leased comparable properties, not the highest asking rents.
Include a vacancy allowance, even if the property is currently occupied.
Budget for maintenance, capital expenditures (roof, HVAC, etc.), and property management—even if you plan to self-manage.
Stress-test the deal by asking, "What happens if rent is 10% lower or expenses are 10% higher?" If it still works, you're probably looking at a solid investment.
For a first rental, I'd spend more time learning to analyze deals than trying to buy quickly. A mediocre deal bought with confidence is often worse than a great deal you waited six months to find.
One final suggestion: since you're investing out of state, your property manager (or local team) becomes just as important as the property itself. I'd interview managers before making an offer so you understand their fees, tenant screening process, maintenance practices, and what they believe the property will realistically rent for.
Good luck! Your first purchase is where you'll learn the most, so focus on buying a deal with a margin of safety rather than chasing the highest projected return.
A conservative HELOC analysis should include the payment on the primary-home debt, a vacancy and repair reserve, and a stress case for higher rates or a slower sale. I'd compare the cash-purchase and leveraged versions using the same operating assumptions, then decide whether the added liquidity is worth putting the primary residence at risk.