Just Purchased My First Multi-Family Properties (Pictures)

Just Purchased My First Multi-Family Properties (Pictures)

Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes

We just closed this past week on two duplexes in Eustis, FL. These are our first multi-family properties, so we're pretty excited. We bought them from Fannie Mae through HomePath, which a great story in itself. 

They were originally listed for around $120,000 each about a year ago. The funny thing was, the listing prices were $10,000 apart and they were listed with different listing agents, even though the properties are identical and share a common area. Fannie Mae slowly lowered the price every month or so until they were both in the $70,000 - $80,000 range. I made offers a couple months ago, and I made it clear to the listing agents that I wanted both, not one or the other. After over a month of negotiations, Fannie Mae accepted my offers on both, which I think were around $63,000 at the time. When I tried to submit the signed contracts and paperwork, the listing agents told me that both properties had been taken off the market. I figured I'd lost them to another buyer. About a week later, I received a call from a different agent in Orlando, who told me he was the new listing agent for both properties, and Fannie Mae had set the new listing price for each property at $54,000. I jumped on the deal and still can't believe how Fannie Mae does business, although I am grateful for their stupidity.

Anyways, the units of each duplex are 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Great layouts and the bedrooms are huge! Both properties need a complete rehab. Once complete, each unit should rent for about $700 per month.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to tenant-proof rental properties please let me know. I want to include the suggestions in the rehab so these properties are as durable as possible.

7Reply
151 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
11y

Congrats.  You can't fix stupid but you can profit it from it. 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 185 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Matthew B. ! Please keep updating this thread as to your process with Fannie Mae as well as the rehab. I plan on getting into multi-family rentals within the next year so your story will certainly be a case study for me.

    I'm so excited to watch your journey!

    Deb

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Great story and great buy! Congrats on your first Multi-family!

  • Apopka, FL · Member since 2014 · 183 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Way to go Matthew!  Working on our way to get us to that point as well.   Great stuff and encouragement for all of us! JC

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
    11y

    Congrats.  You can't fix stupid but you can profit it from it. 

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    If you have a slab foundation,  ceramiic will be a good choice. Floating laminate flooring in some areas if you choose.  Place some throw rugs in it to stage if you like..... Semi gloss paint is more durable or satin...if you choose to wash on turnovers.  Flat is cheaper otherwise....  Plastic tub surrounds are cheaper.  If you have a cheap tile person, that is much nicer....Good fixtures that are serviceable are worth it...no plastic ones....Easily replaceable furnace filters left onhand for them to change.  Have fun!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matthew B.:

    We just closed this past week on two duplexes in Eustis, FL. These are our first multi-family properties, so we're pretty excited. We bought them from Fannie Mae through HomePath, which a great story in itself. 

    They were originally listed for around $120,000 each about a year ago. The funny thing was, the listing prices were $10,000 apart and they were listed with different listing agents, even though the properties are identical and share a common area. Fannie Mae slowly lowered the price every month or so until they were both in the $70,000 - $80,000 range. I made offers a couple months ago, and I made it clear to the listing agents that I wanted both, not one or the other. After over a month of negotiations, Fannie Mae accepted my offers on both, which I think were around $63,000 at the time. When I tried to submit the signed contracts and paperwork, the listing agents told me that both properties had been taken off the market. I figured I'd lost them to another buyer. About a week later, I received a call from a different agent in Orlando, who told me he was the new listing agent for both properties, and Fannie Mae had set the new listing price for each property at $54,000. I jumped on the deal and still can't believe how Fannie Mae does business, although I am grateful for their stupidity.

    Anyways, the units of each duplex are 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Great layouts and the bedrooms are huge! Both properties need a complete rehab. Once complete, each unit should rent for about $700 per month.

    If anyone has any suggestions on how to tenant-proof rental properties please let me know. I want to include the suggestions in the rehab so these properties are as durable as possible.

    Way to go Matt. Can't wait to see the after photos.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Good job and great deal! Those should be fantastic cashflow properties for you. How "tenant-proof" you go may partially depend on how that $700 price fits into your market. If it's lower end, by all means go for as much durability as possible. If you're aiming mid-level or higher, it may be worth sacrificing some of that for more eye-appeal (such as using tile instead of tub surrounds, or refinishing floors if you happen to have wood under those carpets). Just enough to be competitive with the tenants' other rental options, really

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    good to say someone take advantage of the system not the other way around

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    @Matthew B. 

    Congratulations!  You got a fantastic deal!  

    Did you have an agent monitoring the properties for you, or were you doing that yourself?

    Keep us updated on the progress, we'd love to see the properties once they're all finished!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Matthew B. Great insights Matt.  I have been watching our market here in Tallahassee and I am starting to realize that multi-family may be a better deal for this market.  Thanks for sharing!  I hope to learn from your story. 

    Sheldon

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis 

    I'm a broker so I have access to the MLS.

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @Sheldon B. 

    Multi-family properties are very hard to find around here. And when you do find them, they tend to be expensive. I definitely got lucky with these. I know plenty of other investors in my area would have paid much more for them.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    This is awesome @Matthew B. , congrats! 

    Hopefully you will be in a position to document and share the process of doing the rehab work and listing for others in this forum to use as a case study. 

  • Frankfort, IL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Good luck! If you need help finding renters we have a large renter pool in FL.

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @Payam Dastmalchi 

    I'm definitely gonna try to document everything. I've been working on another project this week so I haven't turned my attention to this property yet except to file the tree removal permits. That will be the first work done.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 122 votes
    11y

    just fully rehabbed a unit like this in tampa.  do yourself a favor and put tile throughout now.  Otherwise you will be replacing dirty carpets and scratched laminate every 3-5 years.   granite is also cheap down here and I use ready to assemble real wood kitchen cabinets.  I place a high value on durability.  even if you don't get higher rents for the additional spend on granite and real wood cabinets, you will have fewer problems and units that will look nice for years to come.   your roofs look good from the pics so that is a plus.  roofs are cheap down here.  what do they have for AC units?  that is what can get pricey is if you have to replace 2 AC units.   

    Let me know if you need a reference for a tile guy.  I have a GREAT one who I love.  not sure if he would travel all that way out there though but he does great work, great prices and works fast.

  • Real Estate Broker · Brandon, FL · Member since 2008 · 283 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    Definitely agree with @David DuCille in regards to tile throughout.

  • Duplex Investor · Coolidge, AZ · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Way to go man, good job......thats what I like to hear. Hopefully you will get two more after you get these fixed up and rented.

  • Jimmy MoncriefPro Member
    Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 319 posts · 100 votes
    11y

    Looks great man!

    Keep us posted with the "after" pictures!

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @David DuCille Tile is the plan!

    The roofs are actually in horrible condition. I was over there yesterday when it was down-pouring, and there were more leaks than I could count! Roof replacement will be the next thing on the list, as soon as my roof guy is free.

    There are 4 A/C units, and surprisingly, they are still there after sitting for over a year in a lower end neighborhood. I used to base my neighborhood grades on how fast an A/C would get stolen, but I may have to rethink that... I still don't know if the units are in working condition. I know one was crushed by a falling tree limb.

    @Jimmy Moncrief Will do! I'm planning on keeping this post updated throughout the process.

    The tree guy is almost finished with the trees. He got delayed this week with the bad weather. The roofs will be started as soon as the trees are done. I started some of the interior demo this week. I'm still trying to find someone to help, which I talk about in this post.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    @Matthew B. I know the exact properties, I had my eye on them as well. The timing was not right for me but I am glad it was for you. I am interested in following the rehab, and I am definitely interested the rental environment there. 

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    UPDATE:

    Both buildings have been re-roofed! We've also gutted all of the units, which filled the 30yd dumpster to the brim. We had 6 trees removed as well, and the remaining trees were trimmed. 

    Cost to re-roof both buildings was $10,500.00. I ended up paying a guy in the neighborhood $200 per unit to do the demo. Tree removal was around $2,500.00 including the stumps.

    Next, we are having the soffit and facia replaced. Quote we received is $1,656.00. Then some grading and concrete work, which I plan to do myself. I'm also getting a quote from our plumber to repipe both buildings with PVC while we have everything torn apart.

    Let me know what you guys think!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 122 votes
    11y

    looking good!/ keep it up.  What year were these built?/ looks like early 80s. Not sure they would need a repipe. 

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @David DuCille 

    You are correct. They were built in 1980. I'm not sure that we're going to get them repiped. I just asked the plumber for a quote since we have everything opened up. It's easier and cheaper to do now than down the road.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    @Matthew B. congrats

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.