First Flip Completed (Video, Numbers, Lessons, & our First Wholesale Deal)

First Flip Completed (Video, Numbers, Lessons, & our First Wholesale Deal)

Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes

Wow – great to be posting here (finally).

When I left my job at the beginning of this year to invest full-time in real estate I never considered flipping single family homes, and wholesaling seemed shady. I never watch(ed) the flipping TV shows, or had the gurus to inspire me, I don’t have a great eye for design, and I couldn't tell you what an ARV, yellow letter, or a soffit/fascia was. 

But on November 21, we sold our first house flip and on the same day we completed our first wholesale deal – some might say Christmas came early for us! Almost all of these successes are attributable and would be unlikely without the help of BiggerPockets! (Here is an earlier post describing BP’s impact on our business: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/140...). 

I primarily learned everything I needed to know from studying: the BP podcasts, @J Scott    books, and BPs’ blogs and forums. I was also very fortunate to have a very good support team first and foremost my business partner @George Paiva , my Connecticut brokerage that I hang my license with, and the many others that helped in the process. So after we put together our own successful direct mail campaign, it has led us to the following deals so far:

  • 1 x House Flip Sold
  • 1 x Wholesale Deal
  • 1 x House we’re currently rehabbing (probably will keep as rental)
  • 1 x Commercial Building (hoping to close end of January)
  • 1 x Listing brokered on MLS
  • 1 x Listing under contract on MLS
  • 2 x Listings currently on MLS
  • Other deals in the works

There are a lot of stories with each of these deals, but to keep this post at a reasonable length here is the video, numbers and lessons from our Flip/Wholesale Deal:

  • Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPhWg0Tz9w&feature=youtu.be
  • House Flip Numbers:
  •              Sales Price:        $371K
  •              Purchase Price: <154K>
  •              Rehab Costs:    <135K>
  •              Fixed Costs:       <29K>
  •              Interest:                <6K>
  •              Profit:                  $47K
  • Wholesale Deal: $15K Fee (less attorney costs)

A few lessons learned:

  • Stay conservative with Numbers: It took us a long time to get off the ground (which wasn't totally a bad thing, see next point below), but this could have been a flop if we didn't stay conservative with ARV and rehab numbers. Remember, every dollar you stay conservative on and don't use will be a dollar added to your bottom line.
  • Not Get Rich Quick: I left my job at the end of January and sold my first deal end of November. This was a lot longer than planned - just ask my wife Gd bless her! :) I'm happy how it worked out. We passed on a lot of deals because we stay conservative, but the plus is that during this time we learned a lot on analyzing deals, but most important was building relationships, especially with my business partner. We really got to know each other, and this really helped our business.
  • Cash Reserves: We went over our rehab budget and thankfully we had the means to be able to put more money into the flip when needed. This could have gotten ugly if we didn't have a cushion.
  • Stay with It/Be Persistent with Sellers: After four months in and not being close to locking in a deal, there were some very stressful days and nights, but we continued using and trying methods that other successful investors were doing and eventually things turned. We were also told MANY times from sellers and brokers that our number was too low, or the seller's that we bought from were not interested. Keep pounding the rock and mail/text/call them (texting every other week is my favorite when you have their number).
  • Partners are Awesome: As alluded to earlier I am useless with the construction side, but I have other strong skill sets to bring to the table - we all do! I found my business partner who knew the construction side (and a helluva lot more than that) and I brought my marketing, finance and people skills, which helped us find deals, investors. Also my real estate license was very valuable...
  • Real Estate License: I found this to be extremely worthwhile. If nothing else you'll learn some things during the course, and maybe be able to broker a deal you didn't expect. J Scott goes into length on the "other" advantages it has, and he's dead on.
  • Expensive Markets: I live ten miles from Times Square (NYC) where homes don't cost $25K, so I shifted my focus to areas outside those where deals might be easier to find. Deals likely can be had within a 50 - 100 mile radius even near expensive markets.
  • Be Honest and Set Long Term Goals: We were honest with our sellers', the town, contractors, and others we did business with. This helped us a lot and it will help snowball your business when things start to pick up. 

I hope this serves as a source of inspiration for those looking to get started and haven't found their first deal - I was in your shoes and if you stick with it you will get there.

Happy investing and thanks BP @Joshua D. @Brandon Turner and all the others who make this site a huge success.

15Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

This is AWESOME @Jonathan Makovsky ! Really, fantastic stuff. I'm so excited for you and look forward to chatting with you more about this. Maybe you'll be a guest on our next "Newbie Podcast" :) 

Keep in touch,

Brandon

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This is AWESOME @Jonathan Makovsky ! Really, fantastic stuff. I'm so excited for you and look forward to chatting with you more about this. Maybe you'll be a guest on our next "Newbie Podcast" :) 

    Keep in touch,

    Brandon

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Oh, and here's the embedded video in case folks want to watch it here!

  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CT · Member since 2013 · 951 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Awesome! Hope to see you at the next Fairfield meet up to hear more about it. :)

  • Investor/Realtor · Wentzville, MO · Member since 2014 · 846 posts · 431 votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Makovsky   Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Makovsky  Absolutely awesome!  Congrats!  Loved the video!  I really need to take more before pics and do something like that.   Looked completely professional and the background music was great, too.

    What did you use for flooring?  It looks great.

  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y
  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Larry Turowski we used hardwood for the main level and vinyl for finished basement.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Jonathan Makovsky thanks for sharing this. What you have done is what I have as goals for myself this year. Keep it up! I wish you continued success.
  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:

    This is AWESOME @Jonathan Makovsky ! Really, fantastic stuff. I'm so excited for you and look forward to chatting with you more about this. Maybe you'll be a guest on our next "Newbie Podcast" :) 

    That would be awesome and a personal milestone. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 74 votes
    11y

    Congratulations and keep up the fantastic work. Keep posting your results, they are motivational.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    This is awesome, @Jonathan Makovsky !  Thanks for sharing it and congrats.

  • Real Estate Agent · Montgomery Village, MD · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Congrats on the rehab and wholesale, @Jonathan Makovsky  , could you share on some of the ways you got to practice analyzing deals? I want to get better at the whole valuation process and not sure the best approach to take to get that practice/experience. My biggest thing is that I don't want to come off as something I am not. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Nice work @Jonathan Makovsky . It's always great seeing other CT people doing deals. 

  • Investor · Bethel, CT · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Thanks for sharing @Jonathan Makovsky , fantastic job!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 142 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Makovsky Awesome work! What an inspiration! 

  • Professional · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2014 · 186 posts · 81 votes
    11y
    Congratulations! It gives us newbies hope that it will all pay off in the end, just as long as we play it smart. The rehab looks awesome!
  • Attorney · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Congrats!  Really enjoyed watching the video before and after.  Thanks so much for sharing.   What an encouragement!

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Makovsky Beautiful! Lovely house! Thank you so much for sharing. This is such an inspiration for newbies like me! Great job!

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    11y

    Hi Folks, I am Jon’s other half! Its been a wild ride and learned a ton via BP and getting hands on as much as possible. Honestly couldn't do all this by myself, my family background is in construction and rentals not so much on the business and marketing side of Real Estate. This is where Jon plays a big part on bringing some structure to the marketing and business side. One piece of advice I would do is take a good look in the “mirror” and figure out what you are good at and what you are not good at. Look for a partner who can complement what you are not good at. Partners are great to help level set and bounce ideas off of. Lets face it we all have either Time or Money but not a great deal of both.

    A few lessons learned to add from what Jon mentioned

    Accountability: Make contractors accountable from the start, meaning have a clear scope of work ready to review with the contractor line by line, word by word. Agree on Cost/Price up front trying to stay away from time and materials bids. On the current project I have been handing contractors a simple bullet list of work to be completed. We use that as a baseline and any other items can be added on, and then agreed.

    Contractor Network: A never ending process of finding competent plumbers, electricians, carpenters, roofers, siders, etc… Hurdles we continue to overcome are finding contractors who actually do the work not just a GC where we are paying overhead and they hire a crew to perform the work needed. Surprising how much gets added on to bids when we reach out to “Yellow Pages” contractors vs finding a contractor on a job or at the local home depot. A great resource is word of mouth from your current rolodex of contractors you currently work with.

    Conservative with Numbers, I know Jon talked a little about this I would probably add that staying conservative on the rehab would yield more money in your pocket in the end. Meanings don’t overbuild to what the market would handle. Obviously fundamental repairs to plumbing, electrical, HVAC need to be addressed but leave your taste for home living at the door when it comes to décor of the home. Remember you are not living there, just making it livable for someone else. I believe we struck a good balance on this project but we did come away with some lessons for the next ones.

    Thanks again for all the positive words of encouragement and the helpful tips we all learn from each other on this site! Can’t wait to post more projects as we ride this real estate game!

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    11y

    Originally posted by @Larry T.:

    What did you use for flooring?  It looks great.

    Larry we actually scored a great deal on the flooring.  We needed about 1200sq ft of flooring on the main level of this ranch.  That's a lot of hardwood at the typical $8 sqft for labor and materials. We were able to find a supplier that had Select #3, which are typically utility grade with knots and mix of red and white oak shorts. BUT this batch was mostly red oak #2 but shorts.  As you can see from the pictures of the character and contrast of the wood worked out great with a complementary stain!  We paid $1.48 a sqft, of course ordered about 20% more for waste for about $2500.  Labor will vary so I will just say we paid about $5 sqft for labor and materials. 

    We also refinished the basement with about 650 sqft of TrafficMASTER Allure Ultra which I happened to stumble on a HD sale for $1.99 sqft.  I know many of you BP'ers tout this stuff as the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I am now a believer as well.  I loved the look and feel of it as well as how easy it was to install.  Definitely going to start using this flooring on my rentals going forward.  

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard Adjou:

    Congrats on the rehab and wholesale, @Jonathan Makovsky  , could you share on some of the ways you got to practice analyzing deals? I want to get better at the whole valuation process and not sure the best approach to take to get that practice/experience. My biggest thing is that I don't want to come off as something I am not. 

    I am sure its been posted here and there will be others with much more experience than us on this.  It was a trial and error exercise for us.  We would focus on a few neighborhoods then look at what has sold in the past 6months to get a feel for what a typical style of house would sell for and what amenities were offered.  As Jon stated we were and are very conservative with our numbers and only rehab the ones we know will work for us. 

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks to both of you for sharing your experience on this project!

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Wow. Awesome rehab. Good job guys! Keep up the good work!

  • Robert ChuangPro Member
    Realtor · Arcadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    @Jonathan Makovsky 

    Another success story! That is absolutely awesomeness you put everything in the video and share your thought after the rehab. Much appreciation for sharing this experience.

    Do you use yellow letter to market as well? And what type of filter (prospecting criteria)you use for your marketing?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Congratulations and awesome rehab work @Jonathan Makovsky 

     and @George Paiva !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.