I bought a house for $1,000 and made 1,100% return in 3 weeks.

I bought a house for $1,000 and made 1,100% return in 3 weeks.

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Ok, I got you to look but I did get that from purchase to sale price. I have some costs and what not which decreased my return to about 800%. 

Here is the story. I live in the Denver Metro area. Property is expensive and the market is very competitive. My direct mail marketing has had abysmal returns. I followed Brandon Turner's advise and looked around for a market near me that was affordable. I turned to Cheyenne Wyoming and mailed to out of state owners there. I got great results and one of those calls was this deal.

It started out by her apologizing for the property. I asked what she wanted for it and she hemmed and hawed around and won't give me a price but asked me to drive by and look at it. She did offer that a real estate agent told her it would sell for between $15,000 and $20,000. I drove by and it was a SHACK in every sense of the word. Low ceilings, broken windows, haphazardly boarded up windows and doors.

I called her back and told her it wasn't much of a use to me. I might be able to replace the roof and store something there. I offered her $1,000. She took it. She didn't argue or negotiate, she took it. Floored me. I closed on it and paid cash (just like a promised in my letter because I would have had to pay for a cashiers check from the bank). I was worried up until I signed the documents that she would back out. I'm guessing she was concerned about the same. We closed New Years Eve.

I then paid some guy $150 to haul all the trash out of it. It took 4 pickup loads he said when he initially thought it would be 2. Then my plan was to hold an open house the 2nd weekend in January and auction it off to the highest bidder Sunday night. I use the term open house loosely because the house had no heat, the gas, electric, and water services had been removed by the previous owner in preparation for demolition. I bought big ads in all the local papers (paid about $400 in advertising)

Well my wife got sick so I couldn't do the open house. I called everyone and told them the door was open and to just go in and look around. I thought about doing the open house again the next week but decided that it I should just work with those who were interested. On Monday I called everyone who had contacted me and told them to submit an offer. Around noon on Tuesday I got my last of 6 offers (all were for more than what I had in the place). I called everyone back and told them to submit their highest and best by 5 pm on Wed.

I had the winning offer and on Thursday I called them and sent them a contract. They wanted to close on Monday but it was a bank holiday. I was scared he would back out but the money was wired to my bank account yesterday by 5 pm. Yes!!!

After paying for my direct mail campaign, two closings, the trashout, and the advertising I think I cleared about $8,500. Not bad for my small world.

26Reply
265 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y

Very cool story.  Congrats on the success!

See this reply in the discussion

78 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Congrats!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Very cool story.  Congrats on the success!

  • Real Estate Agent · tampa, Florida (FL) · Member since 2013 · 206 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    That's awesome, great example for those saying they don't have money to get into real estate that driving for dollars actually works

  • Project Engineer · Littleton, CO · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    @Bill S. Wow!!  Congratulations!  I remember seeing your post here about this property when you advertised the open house.  That is a fantastic deal right there.  I too cannot believe she took $1k for it, shack or no shack.  That is unreal.

    Great work!   Congrats again.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    11y

    Nice Bill!  Thats awesome!  

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    That is fantastic.  Wait a few months, you might get some great deals around Denver.  

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Good news, @Bill S. , definitely remember your original post on this one!  

    And @Cal C. , that's what were all hoping for!

  • Real Estate Investor · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    That's fantastic Bill!  Did the purchaser tell you what they planned to do with it?  I drove by, it was a tough lot as well.    

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    oh man this is a phenomenon deal! congrat @Bill S. 

  • Investor · Lynn, MA · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Good going!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Bill S. 

    Good stuff. Congrats on the deal.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jesse B. I think the buyer is going to fix it up and rent it out. There seems to be a market for those low end bottom of the barrel rentals there. He owns a couple of those type of rentals. He didn't say for sure.

  • Rental Property Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2014 · 136 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    Holy cow, Congrats @Bill S. !

    I would guess that there's a minimum value to a lot like that, just in the water & sewer tap fees that are already paid.

    Looking forward to hearing that you're successful in more deals like this.  As they say, "Rinse and Repeat."  (There's more little old ladies with unwanted property out there. LOL)

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Well done

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    11y

    Wow on the price! Congrats 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    "I might be able to replace the roof and store something there."

    Ha! Yeah, maybe all that money you just made off of it!

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    Congrats.  What is the annualized return? :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mike Hicks:

    That's awesome, great example for those saying they don't have money to get into real estate that driving for dollars actually works

    that's not true.  He needed money to make this deal work.  He spent about 2k to get this deal. 

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Bill S. these deals do exist and good for you. Here is my deal. 

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/6004/blog_posts...

  • Oregon, OH · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Congrats Bill ^_^

  • Montreal, Quebec · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    WOW! WOW! & WOW!

    Very inspiring! What I've learned from this is that you must believe in yourself and you must take chances...Thank you ,and like they say here in Quebec"FELICITATION"!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    I knew the Cheyenne market was priced lower than the Denver market, but I had no idea it was like this!!! What a great deal. $8500 is a nice profit. Congratulations!

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Wow! Awesome! Congrats! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Quincy, IL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Very nice deal!  The power of direct mail marketing!

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Well done sir!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.