Just Bought Rental #2!

Just Bought Rental #2!

Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 94 votes

I am fairly new to BP but just wanted to share that my offer on investment property number 2 was just accepted today!  I haven't closed yet and I know I'm counting my chickens too soon, but I'm excited to have jumped off the fence and put in an offer (that was actually accepted).  I offered below list price by a lot even though the house is in "retail" condition but because I didn't use a buyers agent, I was able to negotiate a good deal.   

I plan on "renting" out the top two portions to mine and my husband's law firm to use as our working office and I already have a renter for the basement apartment who will pay half our mortgage.  We'll still keep a traditional office to meet with clients.

My goal this year was to buy one property per year as a buy and hold, but heck, I just upped it to a whopping two per year!  I know I'm just a "small fish" but this is a part-time gig for me and I'm happy with slow and steady investing.

Anyway, just wanted to share :)

14Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

@Pyrrha Rivers.  Not sure I'm the right one to follow on finding a deal.

But for me, its all about having a good size market to look for houses in and then learning the markets.  I'm south of Chicago and really not a suburb of it. More just like a bunch of small towns that all flow into each other.

That being said. Here is my process for finding a deal.
1) Check the listing sites daily. And I do mean daily.
Hud, realtor.com, auction.com, hubzu,com.

2) Look for my target properties:
a) 1,200 or more square feet
b) 3 bedrooms
c) 1.5 bath

3) Look for anything listed around 130k or less.
I'm looking to be all in (purchase plus rehab) at about 65% LTV. And the numbers only seem to work in that price range where the house sells for between 60k to 90k.

But I like to watch the stuff as it drops down to 130k or less because those houses at 130k can magically end up price dropping enough to where they can be had for that 60k to 90k range and I can be all in at my 65% LTV.

I won't make low ball offers on 130k listings that have been on the market for 2 weeks. Instead, I'll wait for those 130k listings to come down to say 100k and that have been sitting on MLS for 3 months. Then I'll try an 80k offer. HUD deals are the best. Just gotta be willing to sit on the sidelines until they've hit that 2 to 3 months mark. Then the discount magic can happen.

4) Go look at houses.
This is a very underappreciated step. Bottom line is that its really important to see the houses before the prices really drop. Once I've seen it and have an idea on the rehab, then when they do drop the price, I can put in an offer that day.

And believe me when I say, that ability to offer that very day they drop the price has gotten me several houses.

Not only that but sometimes you see a house sitting and the pics make it look like garbage so you assume there's just no reason to look. GO LOOK. Pics can be very deceiving and you can really steal some houses that way.  There are some houses that end up being really decent and, in terms of a rental, make for some great deal because there's some feature that puts people off that can be easily addressed.

Sometimes its no garage. Sometimes its because the cabinets are missing. I got one house strictly because the bathroom vanity was missing. The realtor said an owner occupant had an offer accepted on it before for about 20k more. The thing was missing a bathroom vanity so their lender said no way.   The bank that owned the property then switched the offer criteria to cash only.  Out by me, not many owner occupants doing cash deals and not as many investors either.

But I told the listing broker I wanted to do a rehab loan on and would they take that and the bank said yes. Put the bid in and got the house with rehab financing. 

Funny part is the house was listed as a 3/2 but it was actually a 4/2.   Another reason why taking a look at houses is really key.

But thats my process for finding a deal.
1) Watch your deal sources daily.
2) Go LOOK at houses.  If you don't love to look at houses, you may not really enjoy being an investor. :-)
3) Put in your offers at numbers that make sense to you and to your source.
For instance, I won't offer 50% of the list price on an REO thats been on the market for 2 weeks. Thats just wasting time. But I might put in an offer at 60% of list price on a hud deal thats been there for 3 months. Or, say, 15% off list on a homepath thats in reduced mode.

As you start putting in offer and getting counters or deals, you'll start seeing the patterns. But every once in awhile I'll throw out a flyer on something too and it gets accepted. Only with the hud deals though since thats some crazy formula and doesn't require my realtor or me to do much - just enters a number and no signing of an offer unless that number is actually accepted.

Even then, I try not to be silly.  I think I have their new discount patter figured out. We'll see. Interestingly enough, I think hud caught on too and they stopped countering so that investors would stop going fishing. :-)


See this reply in the discussion

102 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Congrats Sandra! Way to keep the momentum going. Nothing wrong with going slow and steady. 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    outstanding!  can't wait until u post similar post regarding number 3! keep it up! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 94 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the encouragement @Kyle J. and @George P. .  I appreciate it!

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

    So excited for you and I don't even know you! 

    Keep kicking butt! 

  • Aaron HowellBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Crozet, VA · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 223 votes
    11y

    Congrats !  No. 2 will lead to No. 3 at some point.

    Story House Real Estate529 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Sandra Holt 

     I sincerely hope its every thing you wish it to be!!

  • Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Congrats!

  • Real Estate Investor · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Sandra Holt Congrats to you!
  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Congrats 

  • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    1. Congratulation!! 
  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    great job @Sandra Holt keep up the good work

  • Real Estate Agent · Florence, KY · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    Congrats Sandra! I know the feeling, we just recently had our offer on a second property accepted (closing next Friday). Number three will be here before we know it!

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 94 votes
    11y

    Thanks for all the love!  I've already started hunting for #3...  I think I'm hooked :)

  • Investor · Taylorsville, GA · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 540 votes
    11y

    Congratulations Sandra!  We are finishing up rehab on our 2nd - bought our first in November and have that one rented out now.  Like you, I'm already looking for the 3rd - and I think I'm also hooked.  Sounds like we are on the same track!!

  • Investor/Realtor · Wentzville, MO · Member since 2014 · 846 posts · 431 votes
    11y

    Congrats!  The power of passive income is a wonderful thing!  

  • Investor · Greenville/Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Congrats, Whats the best place to find such properties?

  • Investor · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Congrats!

    Slow and steady wins the race :)...I'm going for my 4th, hopefully the end of this year ????

    Best of luck! 

  • New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Great job taking action, keep it up!

  • Appraiser · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Awesome!

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 94 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Julie Kern , @Aischa B. , and @Jason Dugan !  

    @David Lawrence , where to find such properties depends on what you are looking for...  

  • Investor · Greenville/Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Multi family/ single family upstate SC. I have looked on Zillow and tried to use a few agents but they don't really have much to offer. I wasn't sure if you could point me in the right direction?? Cheers

  • Homeowner · Panama City, FL · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Congratulations Sandra! I am getting a late start at this in life but hope to acquire a third rental this year with a minimum goal of one per year until I am too old to do it anymore. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Congrats Sandra!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 94 votes
    11y

    @Tom Giles that is a great strategy.  Good luck!  

    @David Lawrence , I don't know the SC market, but what I did was look on the MLS in a neighborhood where there were a more than an average amount of homes on the market, then I targeted the one that was on the MLS the longest. This homeowner was definitely a motivated seller. I found that representing myself and not using an agent allowed me to negotiate a lower price because I worked out with the listing agent that he would forgo the buyers agent commission. Because of that, when I submitted my offer, I pointed out that my offer was in reality $XXXX more than the submitted offer because there was not a buyers agent commission. I bought my primary residence with a buyers agent and was not satisfied at all with the process, so I decided to go it alone this time around and it worked out (so far).

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Congratulations!

    I am a small time fish too! Through baby steps is how we get to the big fish :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.