I Am THANKFUL to BP This Year Because...

I Am THANKFUL to BP This Year Because...

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

BPer's, what are you grateful and thankful to BP this year?

Biggerpockets have indeed made my pocket bigger this year vs. last year. Thanks @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner.

In what ways did BP made me more money this year vs last year?

1.  I met a BIG Investor because of BP this year. He has already pledged to invest $2M with me (I've already bought 3 houses with his money - spent about $500K last week and will close on another house next week).

2. I met several smaller investors who already invested anywhere from $30K to $200K on my deals. In total, the new investment capital from smaller investors this year total around $650K.

3. I partnered with a BP member (I met him last year but we only did a deal starting this year) on the biggest rehab project of my career. Property is going to be worth $1.1M to even $1.2M by the time we're done. We bought the house for $490K and have budgeted about $202,500 in renovations.

4. I wholesaled several properties to BP members this year. One of which is to a buyer who I thought was not legit - he backed out of my deals twice - but he proved himself a real player by paying cash and closing in 2 weeks. Also, this year is the first time I wholesaled a house to a buyer in CANADA (the house is in Cincinnati - I am based in Chicago). I doubt it if this set up will ever happen without Biggerpockets!

5. I met credit partners because of BP. One of those credit partners closed on a rent to own deal for me - we're earning $600 a month cashflow on that one house. The loan is in his name and I put up the money. In another instance, a credit partner got a $2M rehab credit line - this is what we've used to buy my biggest rehab deal (see #3 above). Another credit  partner got me 2 rent to own homes. One of them is already rented (we just closed on our second deal) and we got $8,000 non refundable option fee on that one.

6. I lent money to a BP member who is a rehabber and he has since paid me back (and I made a good return!)

7. Even though I met this BP member back in 2014, he has partnered with me this year to start a REHAB LENDING business. We have closed on our first loan last week and have 4 in the pipeline (2 of those are loans from BP members).

8. I've provided Business Lines of Credit to about 20 BP members, ranging anywhere from $40K to $80K.

9. I've spoken to a REIA group twice this year because of a BP member - and some of the people I met there attended my seminars, signed up as credit partners and one of them even became part of my acquisitions team.

10. Talking about seminars, I made a little bit of money in putting up small seminars for real estate investors - majority of the attendees are BP members. I even put up a Real Estate School - and my students are BP members also. 

Now, don't get me wrong. Not all my deals are as profitable as I expected and there were many problems and challenges along the way. But without Biggerpockets, my real estate business this year will probably be not even half of what it is now. 

SO thank you BP!

What about you? What are you thankful to BP this year about?

15Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
10y

I am thankful for quite a few things with BP.

1) Deal analysis and advice here helped me buy my first fully rental property (4 unit in Albany park that is cash flowing very well even as i live in one unit)

2) Listing Agent for my condo was met through BP

3) Flip i am working on now is with a partner that was introduced to me through a BP memeber

4) 2 Flips i have under contract are both with a partner i met through BP (same one working with @Wendell De Guzman so i have to thank him and BP for that.

So from Feb to Nov i have bought over 1 mil in property, both flips and rentals, through BP associations. (now to get to 1 mil in equity)

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Well, @Wendell De Guzman of course. I've had the pleasure of spending time with names you'll all recognize and I value those relationships and am proud to be a part of this community.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    Well, @Wendell De Guzman, since you asked...(although I'm losing my BP big-gun-edness by having been less active here lately).

    1.  I'm thankful that @Ben Leybovich has other advisors that he calls...thus my phone rings less frequently because he has other people to call to rant about how screwed up the real estate market is and how there aren't any deals out there.  LOL

    2.  I'm thankful for the many people that I've met through BP over the years who have invested several million dollars in my various opportunities.  My growth is funded by investors and the growth of my inner circle of investors is fueled by word-of-mouth and referrals...and I've received both from BP.

    3.  I'm thankful for the $12 million + deal that I recently acquired, which was partially funded by people I met on BP or met through other people I met on BP (maybe I should write a post about that one?).

    4. I'm thankful for the properties that I've acquired from other BPers.  These have directly contributed to the bottom line.  

    5. I'm thankful for the many friendships that I've formed, except for @Ben Leybovich of course. I've had the pleasure of spending time with names you'll all recognize and I value those relationships and am proud to be a part of this community.  

     Awesome Brian! Me too is being less active here lately.

    Yes, please post your $12M deal. I want to be like you when I grow up :-) (definitely, not like Ben - LOL)

  • Contractor · Columbia, TN · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Wendell, There's a saying, "stick around with successful people & you'll become successful". I intend to do just that: that's why I joined this site. I'm new to this. Been in construction industry for over 25 yrs, but I'm willing to take a dive & start doing real estate deals. Was thinking to start with Tax liens & deeds & foreclosure or pre-foreclosures. I guess, I need to make up my mind & find my niche, but the more I read & more info I get, the better decisions I will make. I'd like to keep in touch with you & pick your brain a bit, if you'd allow me to. Thanks a lot, Alin
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    I am thankful for BP's @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner for giving us a great resource for investors!

    Of course, I need to give a shout out to @Brie Schmidt for making the local BP group one of the best go to meet-up's in the Chicago area.

    Finally to @Wendell De Guzman for being deligent in channeling BP as part of our business model, especially the people we have met in-person in the past year through BP.

    Elpidio Quiballo

  • Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
    10y

    I am thankful to BP because it helps the needy real estate investor year round, not just during Thanksgiving :)

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alin Toncz:

    Wendell,
    There's a saying, "stick around with successful people & you'll become successful". I intend to do just that: that's why I joined this site. I'm new to this. Been in construction industry for over 25 yrs, but I'm willing to take a dive & start doing real estate deals. Was thinking to start with Tax liens & deeds & foreclosure or pre-foreclosures. I guess, I need to make up my mind & find my niche, but the more I read & more info I get, the better decisions I will make. I'd like to keep in touch with you & pick your brain a bit, if you'd allow me to.

    Thanks a lot,

    Alin

     Sure. Keep in touch and my brain is open for picking. LOL

  • Wholesaler · Harvey, IL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I am so grateful for all that has been done this year.  I am grateful for the people that I have met this year.  I am grateful for the mentor and and his staff.  I am grateful for his knowledge and embracing me in learning more from him.

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    1. I've been able to connect with people I probably wouldn't have met otherwise.

    2. I've met a great client through BP who I am currently working with.

    3. Information overload!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    What about the long timers on BP? Anything you are grateful and thankful...for what BP has done for you lately?

    Calling on J Scott, Bill Gulley, etc?

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 781 posts · 744 votes
    10y

    I'm grateful for the reality checks I get when asking a question.  Honest, factual advice helps set an accurate expectation! 

    Also grateful for people who share a passion and help motivate towards productive outcomes.  I'll be adding 11 doors by year's end! 

    Grateful for the Meet Ups! We've had some great ones!  

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    10y

    Thank you BP for making all of this happen.  You have opened up doors for us and our business that we couldn't even have imagined.  You are making business easier and we don't have to work as hard because we are able to build relationships with other like-mind individuals on this site.  Thanks again.  Brett 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    1) I am thankful to BP for all the education from the Forums, blogs and the podcasts; it has helped me a lot. 

    2) I bought my first deal.

    3) I am thankful for all BP members; everyone is always willing to help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.