My first buy and hold

My first buy and hold

Certified Public Accountant (CPA) · COOPER CITY, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 36 votes

I purchased my first home when I turned 25, and was able to save enough money to purchase my first investment property at age 28. I purchased the condo for $88,000 and after rehabbing the property, I was able to get it rented out within six weeks at $1,250/month.

Here are my annual numbers

Rent- $15,000

Insurance - $600

HOA - $5200

Taxes - $2,000

Maintenance - $400

Annual NOI - $6,800 resulting in a yield of 6.5%, as I am in the property for $105,000.

While the property did not generate the cashflow I expected, (mostly due to my rental rate being wrong in underwriting, and I spent $5,000 more than I expected in rehab, the property is now worth $130,000. Essentially I can flip the property and make $15,000 after closing costs considered today. Not a homerun for most flippers, but I bought this for the intention of cashflow and this property has done well.

Thanks for reading,

Phil

2Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
10y

Hey Phil, looks like a very solid deal, congrats! Looking at the numbers, though, it looks pretty tight as a hold. I doubt you can keep up at $400/year maintenance, especially if you have a solid turnover. And that doesn't include vacancy or any debt service. Condos are tough to cash flow usually because of the HOA. I think this one makes sense to flip, pocket the profit and move on to the next deal.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · West Suffield, CT · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    Our SF is a B property in a town with great schools so we went on the high end with rent.  It's been super easy to manage thus far as it was our starter home and we renovated/upgraded a lot in the 5 years we lived there.  I'd say we're looking at class B's for the next one(s) as well.  My husband and I both work full time and we have a 15 month old son so we want to avoid the more management-intensive C/D properties.

  • Developer · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Congrats on your first buy and hold!! Goodluck yo future investments & keep pounding !

  • Bill ExeterBusiness Member
    1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sterling White:

    Congrats on your first deal @Phil Bottfeld as @Andrew Syrios stated above its pretty tight margins with a low maintenance calculation. Sell the property and do a possible 1031 exchange into a buy & hold 

    Hi Sterling,

    You can not 1031 Exchange properties that were acquired with the intent to flip/sell.  The properties must be held for rental/investment purposes in order to qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment. Properties held for flip/rehab are held for sale as opposed to held for investment. 

    Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 693 posts · 357 votes
    10y

    Those HOA fees are brutal...

  • Certified Public Accountant (CPA) · COOPER CITY, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Meghan Reed:

    Our SF is a B property in a town with great schools so we went on the high end with rent.  It's been super easy to manage thus far as it was our starter home and we renovated/upgraded a lot in the 5 years we lived there.  I'd say we're looking at class B's for the next one(s) as well.  My husband and I both work full time and we have a 15 month old son so we want to avoid the more management-intensive C/D properties.

     I agree, the C/D properties are for certain people. There are not for everyone, but that does not mean someone can't make a good profit in them either. But I generally stay away from those properties as well. I like the idea of what you did with your home, my wife and I are considering moving into our next home as our family continues to expand, the question keeps popping up... should we sell? Or should we be landlords? I guess time will tell, we have a 13 month old too so I can very much relate to your situation.

    Phil

  • Certified Public Accountant (CPA) · COOPER CITY, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Vincent Crane:

    Those HOA fees are brutal...

     Agreed, the rec lease is the largest contributor to the fee being so high.... then again,, the property would have sold for an additional $20K-30K without the rec lease.

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    I would keep the property.  The gain is not significant. 

    I buy and hold.   I'm scared to sell property.


    Frank

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.