Worst Hoarder House Ever

Worst Hoarder House Ever

Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes

About two weeks ago we bought a house. Knowing it was full of trash and has been empty a while. We got a good deal on the house, but knew it would take alot of work. It is in a rental neighborhood. This is a 900 sq ft 2 bedroom house. In the end we removed around 110 yards of (tightly compacted) trash!! The  first photo is taken standing on the porch, one could barely open the door. The basement had trash piled 4-5 feet deep through-out. We found through dates on papers and food boxes (that could be read) it had been empty since around the year 2000, and they just left the kitchen with all the food in it. Owner was still alive just got overwhelmed bought a new house and left this one go. We still have a ways to go fixing it, but we finally have it emptied out. 

I know I promised photos to some of you guys @Bob E.@Brett Snodgrass@Chris Wood@Kimberly Schmid@Ben Leybovich(no comments allowed from you, lol, I already know this pig was fat with trash, though soon with will be fat throwing off cash@Ryan Dossey

9Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 129 votes
10y

Ha....that's awesome.

Does the seller want to sell the newer house they're in now?  I'm sure it'll be the same way soon.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Tillotson  anyone in the business long enough will run into one of these.

    what I get a kick out of is buyers of new homes or turn key homes have an inspection and the inspector finds a little bit of MOld and all hell breaks lose.. and then you have these folks who have lived successfully in a petrie dish for decades LOL..

    I have one right now here in Oregon we actually had to sue for performance we gave a huge deposit which the lady kept and spent and then she would not sign the deed I have had 6 figures sitting in escrow ready to close since last May.. LOL.. judge just signed my order.. house is 100% covered in vines and blackberries and there is just a tiny path to the front door.. she opens the cat food cans and just chucks them on the little space on the porch.. since she would not answer us I had the cops do a wellness check and they did get her to the door.. you have to hold your breath when you get within 10 feet it.

    Also I am told the brother took a car apart and put it back together in the basement so supposedly there is a full size car we will have to deal with.. but this is a demo and rebuild new construction...

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    10y

    I will be closing on a hoarder house May 4th and will share with everyone.  I'm buying it for $57,000 and it will appraise for twice that with the cleaning and cosmetics. After I'm completely done, it should be three times the purchase price. 

    I'm so glad others can't look past the trash to see the money!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jamane Y.Pro Member
    Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    Wow that house is just nasty But I realized that I may have to deal with some houses like that one day. But I'm not cleaning it out. I'll pay someone to do that.
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Looking forward to seeing pictures of the "after"!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Tillotson Great work! How did you do it? A wholesaler is selling a property which has up to the waist in treasures/trash in almost each room. The bathroom is horrible. The toilet is littered with poop and the sink is all full with some having dried on the vanity door as it leaked from sink. They say the well got broken so the hoarder was doing it without flushing it down. When the toilet got full in both toilets was doing it into the vanity sink. I had a camera with a good flash and I took several pictures that shows a lot. The corridors are vinyl but they look brown and you feel like walking on 'carpet' of animal poop. The house structure looks good but I don't know what would be required to sanitize the two bathrooms. How did you do yours? May be can have a chat

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Nathan Gesner How did the hoarder property go? Did you purchase it? Would love to learn how to clean those kind of homes

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    @Dziko Thunde This was a close to final product, the house rented before we were done.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Here is two pics of a hoarder house south of Seattle. Asking price was 50% under market value. 

    What is the fastest way to get rid of the trash? If your city has a Concrete Vacuum truck,  then it will pull everything out of the house of that size in four hours. The hose on those trucks is really large. yes....houses like this scare away 95% of the buyers but as long as the bones,electrical,plumbing, hvac are in good working order then pick up houses like this for cheap! Got to the city and into the bylaw department and get a list of the houses that fall into this category and make a offer to the home owners who may be selling there house. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Tillotson That is awaesome!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    10y

    I think David Fair's uberly grossed out hoarder house took the crown here.... 

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    10y

    @Dziko Thunde I closed on the house and am working on it...slowly. I'm trying to journal my progress in the Investor Deal Diaries forum. CLICK HERE for the thread.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Nathan Gesner I have gone thru the post. It's great but I just have a few questions like if there was poop (human) in the toilets and they were smelling and if there was cat, rabbit, dog etc poop all over the house floors and objects; urine over everything, what would you use to sanitize it or to kill the smell and probably pathogens so that you can start cleaning? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    10y

    No, the owners did not have pets and they didn't leave any human feces or urine behind. Well, except for what was stuck to the toilet. 

    I have been in homes before with a lot of pet urine/feces. We have had to rip out the carpet and padding. We sometimes spray everything down with a bleach solution. Then we paint everything with Kilz to block any remaining odor. Once that dries, we put down the new flooring. It always improves but it doesn't always kill it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi All,

    Do "Hoarder" house have to pass the city's fire inspection before they can be transferred? I am dealing with a situation like this in the Boston area and wondering what potential pitfalls may be.

    Thanks!

    Jason

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Jason Carter , I think this is location-specific, so check with your city laws.

    I also think it's more of an issue with lenders than with cities. If you're getting a bank loan, they need to get into the property to assess its value. If you're paying cash, I think it's fine...

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thaks @Mindy Jensen this helps.  My buyer is all cash, so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.