22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,605 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    Love the story (and your humility)-- As a person who has recently tapped their funds, this is inspiring. Thanks for the share.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Nice work.   Starting young is really smart.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Ayana Young @Alice K. @Ian Walsh Thank you very much! The first 4 months of owning the property are going ahead of plan so far so I am very pleased with the results thus far! Time to work on the next bigger deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Great story @Joel Florek! Thanks for sharing! 

    I am certainly leaning more toward smaller multi-families per all the success stories and financial figures I have seen people on BP tossing around. Keep on rocking it!

  • Mcminnville, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Inspiring! Thanks man. Good for you! 

  • Hamilton, OH · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hello Joel, I just want to say congrats on your accomplishments. I'm reading through all the positive comments and I am reluctant to ask how do I begin. It was 4 days ago I went to a real estate seminar and it really change my though pattern on life, what I really want to do. I'm dreading my 9 - 5 job I don't enjoy going to work anymore. 

    I've been dreaming about real estate ever since. I've been drowning myself in educational material to the point where my brain is overloaded. Trying to figure out where to begin, what steps do I need to take first. I would love if you could shed some insight.

    I love the quote by Nora Roberts " If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same

    Have a bless evening,

    Monique

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Monique Thompson The first thing is to understand what part of real estate you want to be in. Its a big industry and there are a lot of different niches to be filled. You need to find one that fits with your passion, motivations, long term goals, and capabilities. To say you want to go out and compete with Trump tomorrow is unrealistic. But to say you want to go buy 4 to 8 unit buildings and grow to 20 units over the next 3 years is very realistic. Maybe you want to just do flips and take the short term cash. Maybe you get excited about wholesaling.

    My goals is to be able to travel for 2 to 6 months at a time sailing. That being said I need passive income and need to trust a team to manage my business while I am away. For me its the multi family game. My long term goal is 150 units that average $550 per unit. This would put my NOI at around $400k to $500k a year with properties fully paid off. Initially under owning a portfolio like that I could have passive income near $120k to achieve my ideal freedom number of $10k a month.

    There are lots of ways to get from point A to point B. But if you don't know where point B is then you wont know if you action or step you are taking each day is going to be in the right direction.

    Good luck and PM me if I can ever help in some way.

  • Hamilton, OH · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Joel Florek Thanks for your response, I do want to have a steady income to start so multi family seems like the ideal way to begin. I can start with a small unit and grow from there. I do have more questions but I know this post would go on and on...is there a way I can send personal message with my other questions?

    Thanks,

    Monique

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Monique Thompson:

    @Joel Florek Thanks for your response, I do want to have a steady income to start so multi family seems like the ideal way to begin. I can start with a small unit and grow from there. I do have more questions but I know this post would go on and on...is there a way I can send personal message with my other questions?

    Thanks,

    Monique

    Add me as a colleague and then we can use the inbox feature.

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Joel Florek Please PM me. I am in Grand Rapids looking to get into MFH and Multi Units and would love some help.
  • Professional · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks. I'm new to BP as well and your story is an inspiration. 

  • Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek It's extremely refreshing to see somebody else on here who is not only young, but able to articulate their ideas and come off as prepared, knowledgeable and intelligent. Many new investors and young people in college who are interested in real estate cannot articulate their ideas to save their life and it clearly shows.

    Just wanted to say thanks for restoring some hope for our generation haha. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Christos Philippou I appreciate the kind words. It takes time, research, and talking with a lot of investors. Like any type of job or industry there is a language to be learned and it happens so much faster through real life conversations, not just virtual. I am blessed to have been around SFR and remodeling my whole life so I am very confident at understanding the ins and outs of the basics. My parents used to take me to their house closings to sit in and listen to the bankers and real estate agents talk through paperwork and close the sales.

    I really feel like my whole life has prepared me to be successful in this business although I do have aspirations to expand into other businesses in the future. Age is not the important number. The quantity and quality of experience is what makes all the difference in the world.

  • Rental Property Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    What an inspiring story! I am 25 years old and am in search of my first rental property. I would love to pick your brain for any tips you may have for me. Congrats!
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Wow this is inspiring definitely since im only 23. Congrats on your success that's truly motivation for us newbies.
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    "Think you can or think you can't!, either way you  will be correct.  Great job thinking you can.

  • Highlands, NJ · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    your a boss

  • FORT MITCHELL, AL · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! What an awesome job...Keep it up!

  • Tracy, CA · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Very very cool.  Happy for your success!

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 900 posts · 392 votes
    10y

    Awesome and good to see asking for seller financing when you don't have the money seems to always work. I think I will try that on my next deal!

  • Real Estate Agent · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Joel Florek First off - nice work!! I've been flipping homes, and started wholesaling recently as well. I would really love to build a rental portfolio with some properties like yours, but all of my cash is tied up in flipping and marketing. I would love to hear how you did what you did. I can't seem to figure out how to direct message you, so please direct message me if you have the time.
  • Perth Amboy, NJ · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thats awesome! Very inspiring congrats!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 646 posts · 392 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek Thanks for sharing the story. Kudos. What's the next deal in the pipeline ;-) Keep pushing and before you know you will hit the 150 number in no time. Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    hey @Joel Florek - nice work on this man! definitely an inspiration as I'm also 22 and am currently on 4 units (4 SFRs) and working towards my first multifam.  would love to chat about the details of your  transaction sometime

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    This is awesome, and very inspiring. One quick question, did you end up taking the job and do you plan on staying there for long? @Joel Florek

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.