I hesitate to call this a success story

I hesitate to call this a success story

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes

Not sure I can call it a success until I've had sustained cashflow, but I did close on my first properties yesterday. They are three fourplex buildings, basically identical and side by side. They are located in Kansas City metro (Raytown to be specific).

I lot of excitement and some nervousness (I don't know what I don't know), but I obviously expect it work out or I wouldn't have gone through with it!

There were lots of headaches along the way for several reasons, many because of my inexperience. Commercial or traditional financing, getting it under contract (FSBO), etc, etc. But it worked out and here I am.

Thanks to everyone at BP, and @Joshua D. for starting the site. It has helped me tremendously and I expect it will going forward!

7Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Todd CrippenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 49 votes
10y

Congrats on the accomplishment! I wish you great luck with your investment and look forward to hearing updates along the way.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Dustin Beam

    Well done getting it to go through! You sure took a big bite for a first deal! 

  • Todd CrippenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Congrats on the accomplishment! I wish you great luck with your investment and look forward to hearing updates along the way.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Beam What did your #'s look like? Is this your first deal? Congrats.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Hey @Dustin Beam sounds awesome! Would love to hear more details about these properties, the numbers, etc. — if you have time. Congrats!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Joshua D. , it certainly feels like a big bite! I originally only wanted to buy 1-2, both because I didn't know if I could afford 3, and also because of the additional responsibility considering my inexperience. Ultimately the seller wasn't too keen on splitting them up, so I said "screw it, I want them all!" haha Trial by fire I suppose

    @Todd Crippen Thanks, I'll try to update along the way. 

    @Zach Quick, Yes it's my first deal, and I'd be a liar if I told you there was no anxiety attached to these properties! :) But I did it anyway. 

    I'm attaching a pic of my spreadsheet analysis. The "Cashflow" section is skewed because I have property management factored in there. As is now, I should hopefully average around $2100 month ($175/door) over the long term if my analysis holds true. The average month should be higher without CapEx. *EDIT* I should also get about 20-25% CoC return without a manager, which to me is the best part. I don't know any other way to get those types of returns, and that's neglecting equity and hopefully appreciation!

    It was also nice at closing because I didn't have to bring the full 20% down. Of course, the earnest money was taken out (5k), but after the prorated rents, taxes, deposits, and seller provided closing cost amount (4300), I only had to bring eighty something to close. Still a huge chunk of money to someone like me, but an easier pill to swallow.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    WTG Dustin! 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Aaron L., I was typing up my long response, so didn't see your post. Please see my pic and feel free to comment or question. Thanks! :)

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Ron Olivera, Thanks!

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Beam I think your #'s are low on your CapEx chart, but the fact that you are plugging them in is more than most do on their first purchase.

    Sounds like you are on the right track. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Zach Quick, Yeah I've wondered if some of it is too low, namely HVAC. But, I have priced most of it out where I can. The good news is that even if the CapX doubles, I should still be ok. Not that I want that, but my margins are wide enough to keep me well above water I think.

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    10y

    @Dustin BeamThat is a great way to start. You went big, That is a nice spreadsheet. My first investment property analysis consisted of zero analysis and it turned out find. I bet things will turn out great for you and you will expand in the future. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y
  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    What kind of air conditioning are you pricing for? and 150 for paint?

    I like your spreadsheet. I don't have one at the moment and this gave me some great ideas!!

    Thank you so much for sharing this!!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dustin Beam:

    Not sure I can call it a success until I've had sustained cashflow, but I did close on my first properties yesterday. They are three fourplex buildings, basically identical and side by side. They are located in Kansas City metro (Raytown to be specific).

    I lot of excitement and some nervousness (I don't know what I don't know), but I obviously expect it work out or I wouldn't have gone through with it!

    There were lots of headaches along the way for several reasons, many because of my inexperience. Commercial or traditional financing, getting it under contract (FSBO), etc, etc. But it worked out and here I am.

    Thanks to everyone at BP, and @Joshua D. for starting the site. It has helped me tremendously and I expect it will going forward!

    Congratulations on your first purchase Dustin! Raytown is a very solid market for cash flowing rentals. Good luck with them!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Mary lou L.  It is central air and basically at cost, no labor prices. Same with paint. At this point, I'll be doing almost everything myself. I know that can't last forever though.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Syrios thanks I appreciate it !

  • Rental Property Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 136 votes
    10y

    Very nice!  Great first deal, I hope it exceeds all of your projections!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    Thanks @cliff Harrison!

  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 193 votes
    10y
    Dustin B. Way to go! What a leap, 3 buildings is awesome. Don't burn yourself out with the labor.
  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 85 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Beam Congrats!!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    That's awesome @Dustin Beam!  I remember when you first asked about these here on BP.  Glad it worked out and look forward to following your journey!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    You've got a good memory @Steve Vaughan. :) I've read lots of good advice you've given out to various people here, and you should know that people like you are what makes this site a great resource to people like me.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Very nice deal way to go after it. If you need any help I'm not far from there. I'd love to meet up and watch how it goes for you. I just landed my 1st deal too, not 3 buildings but hey who does that anyway? :) Again great job!
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Michael H., yea we should do that sometime. Congrats on your purchase as well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.