Bought 200+ Unit Apartment Complex, Increased Value Over $4 Mill

Bought 200+ Unit Apartment Complex, Increased Value Over $4 Mill

Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Two years ago I purchased a 200+ unit apartment complex in Dallas, TX for $6 million that appraised at $7.4 million at closing.

The purchase was 100% off market as I located the deal by doing a targeted direct mail campaign. I sent a series of letters that targeted owners who owned their properties for 15 years with hopefully equity and possibly a landlord who was burned out.

A 79 year old gentleman who owned his property for 21 years contacted me. He recently was recovering from a health challenge and his family members wanted him to sell.

The seller didn’t want to sell, but he knew he had to sell as he couldn’t keep up with the day to day operations. Plus his family members were really pressuring him to sell.

The first outreach between the Seller and I started in 2012 and I didn’t close until 2014. It was a VERY long process to get the property under contract and to eventually close the deal.

Some of the issues:

  • The books and records of the seller were terrible.

I mean horrible.

Fortunately for me, I am a CPA and had the privilege of working at some of the top firms in the world. I was able to slice and dice the financial data. More importantly I was able to piece together the financial mess so a lender could see the same upside I saw.

The seller was very frustrating to work with. One day he wanted to sell the next day he didn’t. This also happened after we went under contract. It was almost a weekly occurrence of the seller trying to get out of the contract.

We had issues - or how a good friend of mine says when a deal is a mess, "This deal has some hair on it!!"

  • When we were under contract there was a fire – fortunately no damage.
  • An insurance claim that pre-dated our contract.
  • Roof issue
  • And several other issues

So it could have been easy for me to walk away from a seller who was very difficult to work with. But I knew I had a deal where I could work my “magic”.

Studies have shown:

  • 2% of closing the sale occurs on the 1st call
  • 3% of closing the sale occurs on the 2nd call
  • 4% of closing the sale occurs on the 3rd call
  • 10% of closing the sale occurs on the 4th call
  • 81% of closing the sale occurs on the 5th call

Would you agree that most people give up on the 1st or 2nd call? 

That is why so many real estate investors fail to get off the ground.

Check this out, studies have also shown that:

  • 48% of the time people quit following up after the 1st call
  • 24% of the time people quit following up after the 2nd call
  • 12% of the time people quit following up after the 3rd call
  • 6% of the time people quit following up after the 4th call
  • 10% of the time people quit following up after the 5th call

We know as real estate investors our best deals are ones where we need to be persistent and can see the big picture.

I kept working the deal as I knew this deal had significant upside. I was frequently calling the seller.

By working an off-market deal directly with the seller, I was able to buy the property significantly below market value.

I acquired the 200+ unit apartment complex for $6 million.

Here is an excerpt from the appraisal where the asset appraised at $7.4 million at purchase:

So going into the deal there was $1+ million of equity.

But the deal gets better.

The property is a cash monster. After paying all expenses, mortgage and reserves, the property chugs out $20k net cash flow a month.

Pretty sweet Right??

Within 15 months of ownership, and working my butt off on this deal by working my magic, I was able to take the occupancy from 86% to 98% and increase rents over a $100 per unit. I spent over $600k in interior and exterior upgrades to add value.

I refinanced the property and the asset appraised at $10.2 million or over $4 million in equity in 15 months.

Here is an excerpt from the appraisal when I refinanced the asset where the property appraised at $10.2 million:

So if you aren’t having immediate success with your real estate investing career, please know that sometimes your best deal might not be on the first call with the prospect. 

I really hope it doesn’t take you 2 years like it did me, but keep working your own magic.

I hope you found the above helpful, here are some other threads you might find useful:

I quit my CPA Job to buy Large Apartment Buildings

BP Podcast 135 - How I Got Started, so far over 70,000 people have listened to the show

Just Closed a 240 unit Apartment Complex

Great deals don’t just fall out of the tree. You must work hard to find and locate killer deals. So continue to follow-up with those prospects!!

46Reply
184 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Brian Adams, great story!

Could you please share some details of your direct mail approach?

I tried it on about 30 property owners in Tarrant County but had only one call back and this prospect is very uncertain. I even called a few people myself only to get "I won't sell ever!" response. I plan to keep mailing them every 3-4 months but wonder if it makes sense at all. Brokers talk to these owners every day and cannot get them to sell. Why would they decide to sell to me?

Any thoughts you may share?

Thank you
Nick

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Apopka, FL · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 62 votes
    9y
    @Brian really great story can you share how you created your target mailing list? I have some small properties but this is exactly what I want to do for some larger ones here in Maine. I am hoping to find purchase or master lease opportunities like this. Can this type of list be pulled from a list service or did you power through county "owner of record" files? Appreciate your help, b
  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Adams:

    @Deshawn Lewis, @Michael Anspach, @Justin Howe, @Christine Johnson-Sundby, @Abel Curiel, thank you so much for your kind words.

    The cool thing is I recently got an LOI close to the appraised value so I am considering selling...

     Just a follow up, did you sell it?  Details would be great.  If not, why didn't you?

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tony SanFilippo, thanks for checking in, yes I sold the asset earlier this month.

    Bought for $6 million

    Sold for $10.2 million

    So the over $4 million in forced value was actually realized.  

    By the way yesterday (11/18/16) I bought a 200 unit in Georgia for $8 million and the capital raise is $2.9 million.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats again, @Brian Adams. You're just rolling along.

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Le, thanks!!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    WoW!!! Great story!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Teaneck, NJ · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 291 votes
    9y

    @Brian Adams - thank you for sharing such a great and inspiring story

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Wave Taylor and @Oleg Shalumov, thanks for your message.

  • Specialist · USA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @Brian Adams

    Hey Brian, I am a bit puzzled as to the best approach, perhaps you could offer some insight - do you get your financing and investors lined up first, or do you first start up your direct mail approach?

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2010 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Brian Adams Hi Brian, you mentioned about $600k in exterior and interior renovation in that 15 month timeframe. Can you help me understand what kind of renovations you did and did you raise the money from your private investors in the beginning with your underwriting or ever go back and raise more money after it was yours?

  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Brian Adams Will you be my mentor?

    Seriously though, this is absolutely incredible. I'm beyond inspired by this post, and look up to you for what you were able to do. I know this was posted a few years back so I'd love to hear how the project is going now, and what else you've been involved with.

    Thanks for your post!

  • Real Estate Agent · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2019 · 164 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    Brian, I love all of this! Would you be willing to share with me what that direct mailer looked like and said that you sent out. I have direct mailers for buying houses down -cash -quick -as is but with apartments that is an entirely different ball game. Looking forward to hearing back from you!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    Truly inspirational... One day I'll be in the same shoes as you!

  • Burleson, TX · Member since 2009 · 37 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Brian Adams

    I just love these kinds of posts. Very inspirational.

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Danté Belmonte thanks for asking about my DM piece

    I won't be sharing the actual letter with you, but the piece and your mailers need a strong headline, compelling copy, and most important the CTA (Call to Action).

    A clear and concise CTA is telling the reader or Seller what to do next. In my case and probably like yours you want that seller to call or email you.

    The reason they are calling is because the headline and copy are congruent. What I mean, and in my case, the mailer was targeted to "mom and pop" owners who self-manage.

    A Headline like - "Are You Tired of Managing Your Investment Property"

    The copy discusses all the problems the owner who self manages might face like getting late night phone calls from tenants needing something fixed or how the owner might just be burned out.

    The Copy must be clear on how you will solve these problems for the owner. 

    The CTA is telling the Seller what to do next.

    Hope this helps

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.