Thank you Josh Dorkin and the BP community

Thank you Josh Dorkin and the BP community

Sonny RuckstuhlPro Member
Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 41 votes

17 weeks

17 weeks ago I finally took action with my BP membership. I looked yesterday and I found the website in 2013 and became a member. And I stopped.

In spring of 2016, my son expressed an interest in RE investing and so I did one webinar, became a PRO member, and stopped again.

Then, 17 weeks ago, I received notice of a small amount of money (or large depending upon one's point of view) from an inheritance and it coincided with my first podcast listen.

17 weeks later, I just finished listening to my final podcast and am now current.  I have taken in many lessons and wanted to write it out here. 

The most consistent lesson was persistence or grit.  This lesson manifested itself with a regular assessment of RE deals (not at Brandon's suggested rate of 3/day, but close). 

The next lesson was take action.  This has included offering on and purchasing a duplex and fourplex that were pipedreams 17 weeks ago. 

Expecting and overcoming obstacles with a long-term plan such as a BRRRR strategy had me look at these properties with their long-neglected structures as opportunities. The calculators helped me know that these were solid singles and may turn into doubles.

Another lesson was relationships and just letting people know what I am doing. It led to the 2nd property (the duplex) and seller financing all thanks to the PM I retained on the 4plex and my mentioning to him I was looking for distressed or burned out landlords.  The community feeling of BP allowed me to help the realtor on that property find a buyer for a rehab that was way outside of my scope but set up a BP member I have still yet to meet in person to obtain a project he is excited by (at least he is as of this writing).  Another BP relationship led to consideration of a commercial property.  Not able to pull it off, but that I feel competent to pursue these sorts of things is staggering.

Finding my why was another lesson as it crossed into my ideas of how to be an ethical landlord. My wife and I have spent a good deal of time in our jobs with families and children who are likely to be, for the most part, perpetual renters. We want to use our RE strategy to follow Marcia Maynard's motto of providing Safe, Clean, Quiet, and Affordable (may get the exact quote wrong but it was over a 150 podcasts ago) living spaces for our customers.

Finding local mentors has led me to two different REIA groups in my area where I have found experienced and willing mentors along with a network of potential partners and investors.

I have read six different books from the BP catalog as well as three others from podcast suggestions.

Among the information from these books, I was led to move my 401k into a self-directed, checkbook control trust that I am still considering the possibilities for, and look forward to using those monies more freely than I had.

All in all, I have a great big thank you for Josh Dorkin for putting all of this together. Other people to thank are Brandon Turner, Mindy Jensen, J. Scott, Brian Burke, Ben Leybovich, Serge Shukhat, Michael Blank, Michael Quarles, Brian Murray, Chris Clothier, Matt and Liz Faircloth, Amanda Han, the Syrios clan, and all the other folks who lent their stories to the podcasts. 

The accumulated wisdom on this site, the participation of the community, and the resources from the calculators, the marketplace, the forums, the blog, and the podcast are everything that anyone interested in pursuing RE could hope for.  All for an amazingly low price.  Free.  I am happy to pay the PRO membership. I get value from it with the unlimited use of the calculators (my main use to this point). But the PRO membership is not necessary for any of the things I have done in the past 17 weeks.

Now, I have to go over to ITunes and leave a 5-star rating.

sonny

P.S. Tomorrow I am going to look at a short sale, interview owners and renters in a townhome complex where I may be purchasing, and going to look at a duplex that could be commercial, VRBO, residential buy and hold, or a flip.

22Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y

Congrats, @Sonny Ruckstuhl!  That's a great story!

When I joined BP in 2012 I had a 20 year head start, but since then I've added about $80 million in real estate to my portfolio and a lot of that is thanks to BP.  So buckle up, you're in for a wild ride if you keep it up.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats Sonny, that's a great start! Keep it up!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Wow, that's amazing. Congrats! 

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats, @Sonny Ruckstuhl!  That's a great story!

    When I joined BP in 2012 I had a 20 year head start, but since then I've added about $80 million in real estate to my portfolio and a lot of that is thanks to BP.  So buckle up, you're in for a wild ride if you keep it up.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    Way to be proactive and persistent. You're doing some great things!

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Sonny Ruckstuhl Great post man!!!! Keep on pushing!!!!

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Sonny Ruckstuhl..Congrats!!!  Luv it!!!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats @Sonny Ruckstuhl - this is an awesome post with some great takeaways. I'm glad the site and podcast has been so valuable for you!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Love this @Sonny Ruckstuhl! I'm going to PM you :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    See - this is why I logged on tonight! Good for you, @Sonny Ruckstuhl. A piece of advice, if I may - this game is less about property and cash flow, and more about systems. Focus on that or you will become a slave to your life...

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    WOW great story @Sonny Ruckstuhl. The best part is that you tried failed and kept trying again until you made it work.

  • Sonny RuckstuhlPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Ben Leybovich, That is my next level of focus. I'm gaining clarity of what type of businesses I want to set up and how to develop systems for that.  In a departure from most of my life, I am starting to use a filter for tasks around 2 things: Is the task the highest and best use of my time? and, How do organize/design how I want a task done to have someone do it for me?

    Reading 4-hour work week now with the e-myth likely coming next.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Sonny Ruckstuhl Love your focus and persistence! Thanks for the inspiring post!

  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    very inspiring!!! Great job

  • Realtor, Investor, Syndicator · Canyon Lake, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Nice @Sonny Ruckstuhl! Very inspiring.  Way to take massive action. 

  • Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Thank you Sonny for sharing your journey so far.  I began studying RE investing about 4 yrs ago, paying lots for education, which had some good value, but I paid more than I should have.  During that time I found BP.  Two years ago I joined with a partner to start taking action.  We acquired a total of 4 properties in a two year period.  The partner ship is now breaking up, on what appears to be good terms, but with differing views on how to do things.   It is time to move on and stand on my own two feet.  In some ways I am starting from scratch but with more knowledge, experience and tools, and a couple of properties and a little cash flow and debt to chew up the cash flow for several years.    Along the entire past 4 years, I have been listening to podcasts, engaging in a few blogs, playing with the calculators and using the expertise of the blog community to get questions answered.  My self confidence that I can figure this out and do it, is growing.  Many posts I have read indicate that just about everyone with any success has some losses and hardships.  But if you stop there, that's what you end up with.  The words persistence and perseverance are the only way to end up with an overall success rate.  I agree, this is a very valuable resource for an amazing price.   But once one takes the initiative and starts taking action, the potential becomes so possible.  Good job on your persistence and perseverance.  The pace is yours to determine and the one that is right for you is the right one.  ( I just learned that this past week).  Bravo Sonny.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2013 · 171 posts · 61 votes
    9y

    Great story, @Sonny Ruckstuhl! And to think it's only the beginning of your journey - looking forward to seeing how things play out in the coming months and years!

  • Brian MurrayPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Congratulations Sonny!  So awesome.  Thank you so much for the shout out - I appreciate it.  I completely agree with your takeaways.  Great stuff.  Best of luck on your continued success in your real estate endeavors!  CRUSH IT! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Congrats Sonny Ruckstuhl Appreciate your story!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.