My first deal: FHA duplex appraised 50k over!

My first deal: FHA duplex appraised 50k over!

Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 90 votes
Just bought my first duplex that I found off market using $300 of direct mail. It's located in an up and coming part of Portland Oregon called Foster Powell. The owner was an out of state landlord so I was able to negotiate the price to $320,000. Icing on the cake was it appraised for $370,000! The seller even agreed to pay $4,200 to help move the tenant out so I could move in for my FHA loan requirements. Market rents will be $1,200-$1,300 each unit starting in 2018. Already sending out my next $800 of direct mail!
13Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 53 votes
9y
Congrats! I'm in the process of selling my Portland duplex that I bought 2 years ago from an out of state investor. It's a 3/2.5 built in 2007. Selling it for $360k. We're moving out of state. Rents for $1400/unit. There's still deals out there!
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Encino, CA · Member since 2016 · 324 posts · 178 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing! Great to see that deals are always out there just waiting to be found with a little elbow grease!

  • Flipper · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Congrats!! What type of direct mail were you using and have you received any other responses from it?
  • Real Estate Agent · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 53 votes
    9y
    Congrats! I'm in the process of selling my Portland duplex that I bought 2 years ago from an out of state investor. It's a 3/2.5 built in 2007. Selling it for $360k. We're moving out of state. Rents for $1400/unit. There's still deals out there!
  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 670 posts · 352 votes
    9y

    @Melissa Dorman great job! Congrats on the success! 

  • Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Very, Very Nice. . . . I closed my first deal in 2016 in the same zip code and the deal was found via Direct Mail as well. Great job Melissa! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    9y

    congrats! I also just finished a mini marketing campaign that yielded some possible results for an FHA house hack. I hand addressed every envelope which seemed to help immensely. I have heard that Portland and seattle are getting ever more popular so hopefully the appreciation keeps moving upwards!

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Melissa Dorman..Congrats!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    I love every bit of this story @Melissa Dorman! Little marketing money and you have a good deal, appraised it and it turned out to be a great deal! Congrats. Keep crushing it. 

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 123 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    Congrats @Melissa Dorman This gives me hope

  • Investor · Buda, TX · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Melissa Dorman congrats on the deal.  I've been looking at doing targeted direct mail.  Do you outsource it or do it yourself?  

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Awesome work! I haven't started any direct mail marketing yet. Have been mainly focused on MLS things that pop up but the good deals go on and off the MLS in less than a day so I might have to work on rethinking my strategy.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    @Melissa Dorman, Congratulations on your first house hack. :-)

  • Max BrunkePro Member
    Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    You nailed it @Melissa Dorman. Good work! Did you buy your list from a list provider or build it from the ground up by driving/biking/walking for dollars?

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 90 votes
    9y
    Max Brunke and Charles Street I got about twenty calls from 500 mailers and of those 5 sellers really trying to sell at market price that I passed off to my realtor friend for a referral fee if they execute on it and this deal and one I'm still negotiating with another seller to do a lot reassignment as a joint venture deal with a fellow investor who would build on the lot and give me equity in the duplex or a wholesalers fee for finding it. I got my list for free from a title company search with a simple criteria of 2-4 units in 3 specific zip codes. $300 in mailers well spent, I would say.
  • Real Estate Agent · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Melissa Dorman

    Did the seller ask for a POF?

    & CONGRATS!

  • South El Monte, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congratulations. are you a realtor or broker?

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Nice work @Melissa Dorman, that's awesome!!

    Do you ever go to any local REI events? Are there any you'd suggest?

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    Powell blvd

    I know it well

    Great job!! thinking outside the box always pays off

    keep up the great work!

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Melissa Dorman! Really inspired your story. Sent you a PM, would love to connect soon. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.