Pulled the Trigger & Bought My 1st Kansas City Turnkey Property!

Pulled the Trigger & Bought My 1st Kansas City Turnkey Property!

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 212 posts · 116 votes

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all ready for the upcoming week! I JUST closed on my first turnkey property in Kansas City, MO and I'm SUPER EXCITED!! I figured I'd document my purchase, to hopefully help newer investors learn more about REI and convince them to take action!

One thing to note is that I'm sure people will say that I could have found a better deal elsewhere or even that I paid too much for this. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase and the most important thing for me is that I finally departed from analysis paralysis and jumped in. I heard starting out is the hardest part. It won't be easy and I'll probably lose money here and there, but every great investor has lost money as well. I hope to take the lessons from this property and be smarter about my investing decisions for the next ones. That's how I'm looking at it. 

For over a year and a half, I researched the type of investment I wanted, the markets, and the partners. KC, Indianapolis, Memphis, and Jacksonville were at the top of my list and I went ahead with KC for a variety of reasons but would like to possibly invest in those places down the line as well (when I'm a billionaire!). I have a pretty busy work schedule, so for my first purchase, decided to go with Turnkey. I'm not sure if I'll continue this route down the line but we'll see. I looked at the main TK companies in the market (Norada, USREEB, Bridge, Pinnacle, etc.), spoke to a few of the main people there, and ended up going with Pinnacle because the owner/Founder Mike D'Arrigo seemed to know the market really well and the deal seemed good. The property manager (@Nick McKinnis) was also very responsive and transparent with all my questions. Honestly, I just wanted to get my feet wet and make the purchase in 2017. Also ran my numbers, used Zillow and Trulia, and used the incredibly helpful KC Zip Code map that an experienced BP member made.

Didn't really shop around for loans as much as I had wanted to but ended up going with Shawn Huss at Chemical Bank for 4.625% on a 30 yr fixed with 20% down. I also didn't negotiate closing costs, which I know was a newbie move, but I look at it as part of the learning experience.

There were a few minor updates needed for the property and also an electrical upgrade. All the big ticket items were new and the roof is in the middle of its useful life. I'm still a little nervous about it, but hopefully it'll hold up for a while. After I signed the contract, I ordered an independent inspection (Bulldog Inspections, thanks to a reco from BP). Then I made the decision to fly out there and meet Nick's team and the tenants (. Overall had a great trip and a good feeling in my gut after I left.

The numbers look good to me for now, but I know they always look better on paper. I'm curious to see how things will look in a year or two. Here are my research numbers:

Purchase Price: $80,000

Down Payment: 16,000

Estimated closing costs after credit: $3,100

Total Cash Out of Pocket: $19,458

Mortgage Payment: $330

Gross Income

Rent (monthly): $900

Gross Annual Rent: $10,800

Estimated Expenses (annual)

Property Taxes: $682

Vacancy: $896 (8.3%) But property is currently tenanted through Jan. 2018

Insurance: $836

Regular Maintenance (5%): $540

Cap Ex Reserve (5%): $540

Property Management (10%): $1,080

Performance

NOI (Annual): $6,226.32

Cash Flow: $2,277.73 annual $189.81 monthly.

Cap Rate- 7.8%

COC Return: 11.71%

Hope to send more updates as they come. Please let me know if you have any constructive feedback or questions below. Thanks!

12Reply
171 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes
9y

@Snehann Kapnadak

This was the route I went with my first purchase. You're analysis looks good expect a few things.

Your CapEx budget will be a result of how long you hold the property. The longer the hold, the higher the budget. I suggest you do a spreadsheet that breaks down the life of each major item (roof, hvac, etc) down to a monthly cost. You'll be surprised how expensive it is. I usually end up with $150-$200/m for CapEx for a 30-year hold if everything is new. My approach is to reinvest this monthly cost over a 5-year period so that cash doesn't sit in a bank account earning nothing. After 5 years I will bump up the amount to set aside. I have heard of people refinancing later on to pull cash out for this as well. Another thing to look at is appliance repair programs. You pay a low monthly cost that covers the major items. It may be something to look into once your HVAC, etc start to get older.

Property Management companies often charge fees. Lease fee, inspections, etc so be prepared for that.

I bought my house for $83k in October in South KC. Homes in that area are now selling for close to $100k, so I'm priced out. 

My original plan was to be three cash flow properties using leverage and payoff each one in 5 years, but prices have gone up too much.

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellflower, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Congratulations, I appreciate your detailed information.  Im in a similar situation currently determining with city to invest in and if I should use TK.  

    What's your plan for buying more rentals?  Putting down another 20% on future purchases can get expensive.  What's your leverage plan?  

    I'll look forward to reading about your experience.

    javier 

  • New to Real Estate · Markham, ON · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congratulations on getting your first deal in @Snehann Kapnadak! Was wondering what made you invest out of state, especially for your first property? Again congratulations and good luck with your endeavors!

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 584 posts · 813 votes
    9y

    Welcome to the real estate game, congrats! You did fine for your first investment it sounds. I'd be interested to hear what your property appraised for. KC is a strong and growing area, tons of jobs there. I think on an 80k property you might be low at $900 for rent, you might test $975 out. You got your first deal, that is huge. Keep on keeping on and buy right. Good luck!

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    Congrats on your first turnkey property, brother!  God bless!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 61 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! That map also blew my mind. Extremely thoughtful!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 82 votes
    9y

    where exactly in Kc is the property? I live in KC and would love to know the area that you ended up going with. I also am an investor in the suburbs of Kansas City and am starting a property management company. 

  • El Segundo, CA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 48 votes
    9y
    @Snehann Kapnadak awesome job. I'm also interested in turn key investing, but don't know much about it. Is there any negotiating on their listed prices? did you still use a real estate agent to help you purchase?
  • Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Betty,

    Congratulations!  I got hooked on buying last year in Reno.  Quite accidentialy, because I did a 1031 exchange and wanted out of landlord hell aka California!  Afterwards I started educating myself and found several online real estate investing sites until I discovered BP.  I like to stay close by, because I had bad experience long distance   land lording in Southern California.  Right now I have been scanning the market for turnkey A type houses  in the below $250 K range without luck.  Reno  got a lot more expensive!  Yesterday I think I found something interesting and I am ready to put in an offer. so wish me luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 212 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Javier Guzman Thanks a lot, hope my post helps you! There's a ton of debate on this site whether turnkey is worth it, but I thought it was a lot easier for me to start off learning by having someone do the heavy lifting at first before I try doing it by myself. Not sure what I want to do next. I'd like to do multifamily, since it's easier to scale (20 doors on 1 property vs. 20 single family homes for example) but I'm intimidated by syndication and doing a deal. I'll definitely have to do a lot more research though. But depending on how this property goes, I may want to buy another SFH since it's relatively easier than jumping into MFH.

    Thanks @Mahmoud Tellou! I'm from the New Jersey/New York area and most of the properties here are too overpriced for my liking. The rent/value ratios are really low too--like 0.5%-0.7% depending on where you look, the taxes are too high (NJ has one of the highest property taxes nationwide), and the cost of living is too high too. I think the tenant laws are less friendly to landlords here too, though don't quote me on that. I figured my dollar would stretch more overall in the midwest, which is why I chose to invest in KC. Hope that helps!

    Thanks so much for the encouragement @Jonathan R.! Unfortunately the property only appraised at the purchase value. Which is definitely a bummer, but my goal was to focus more on steady cash flow than on appreciation, so I'm willing to wait a bit until property values go up. Thanks for the tip about raising the rents! I haven't thought about how I'll go about raising them (if I raise them) because I hope these tenants will stay on for longer. I'll keep your suggesting in mind though!

    @Brett Snodgrass Thanks a lot man! I really enjoyed your podcast episode. I have my eye on Indy and will definitely like to keep in touch.

    @Alex D. I know right? It's awesome. Thanks for your note!

    @Jason Waldo The property is in Independence. How's the property management business going? Are you thinking about doing any MFH work or just single family?

    @David Carte Thanks a lot! I didn't use a realtor. Basically you pick a property from the seller's/TK manager's website and inquire about it. They handle all the acquisition and correspondence with the tenants and you as the buyer just have to make sure you do your due diligence and manage the property manager. I didn't negotiate on this one since it was my first property but you may want to speak to other investors who went the TK route and see what they did. Here's the website for the TK provider I used: http://www.investwithpinnacle.com/

    @Betty Klein Wow sounds interesting! All the best moving forward!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 82 votes
    9y
    I am doing mostly single family homes but will be also be doing multi family properties. If you need someone in the future keep me in mind.
  • Rental Property Investor · Wyckoff, NJ · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! I am from NJ (Wyckoff) and own a property in Independence too! I purchased my first one last year. 

  • Investor · Independence, MO · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 70 votes
    9y
    I live and own in independence so feel free to ask me about areas and whatnot. Congrats!
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    @Snehann Kapnadak glad you enjoyed the podcast, thanks!  Definitely hit me up if you want to deal in Indy!  God Bless.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    There seem to be a lot of big TK companies in that area.  Any reason you didn't stay in the Tri State area?

  • Sydney, NSW · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @ Snehann Kapnadak on getting your first deal

    Awesome map, Do we have a similar map for each city? if yes can you please share the link

  • Accountant · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Sneehann-Thanks for sharing the details of your first deal. Congratulations and the best of luck to you.

  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 158 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Snehann Kapnadak great work!

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes
    9y

    @Snehann Kapnadak

    This was the route I went with my first purchase. You're analysis looks good expect a few things.

    Your CapEx budget will be a result of how long you hold the property. The longer the hold, the higher the budget. I suggest you do a spreadsheet that breaks down the life of each major item (roof, hvac, etc) down to a monthly cost. You'll be surprised how expensive it is. I usually end up with $150-$200/m for CapEx for a 30-year hold if everything is new. My approach is to reinvest this monthly cost over a 5-year period so that cash doesn't sit in a bank account earning nothing. After 5 years I will bump up the amount to set aside. I have heard of people refinancing later on to pull cash out for this as well. Another thing to look at is appliance repair programs. You pay a low monthly cost that covers the major items. It may be something to look into once your HVAC, etc start to get older.

    Property Management companies often charge fees. Lease fee, inspections, etc so be prepared for that.

    I bought my house for $83k in October in South KC. Homes in that area are now selling for close to $100k, so I'm priced out. 

    My original plan was to be three cash flow properties using leverage and payoff each one in 5 years, but prices have gone up too much.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Snehann Kapnadak Congrats on the deal! Definitely get in touch with @Ali Boone here if you have any questions about turnkey real estate. She's written on the topic extensively for the BP blog and specializes in this niche. Good luck! 

  • Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats on taking this first step in the long journey, wish you much success and feel free to reach out if you need help

    Salvador

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Snehann Kapnadak, congratulations on closing on your first turnkey property! 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats on the house.This was one the reasons I liked KC so much, it seems to be a very well documented market with lots of ideas/opinions. This was extremely helpful from a research standpoint.

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn, WA · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Congrats on the first purchase! How would you rate your experience with Pinnacle as a turn key provider? Do they keep their PM in-house or is this done by a third party? Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Congrats. I would like to swap vendors you have here once you get going and see who works for you. Always looking for more reliable people.
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 212 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Edward Kuroiwa That's awesome! Did you go through the TK route or did you work with an agent?

    Thanks @Michael Lewis I'll let you know if I need any local insight!

    @Ian Walsh To me the market trends, price points, and service of the provider sold KC and this property for me. I can't find that combination anywhere in the Tri-State area without going to the war-zones.

    Thanks @Raj Gott! I don't know about these maps for other cities but I'm sure you can find similar ones on this site. 

    Thank you @Philip J. Russell and @Jessie Nunley!

    @William S. Thanks a lot for your advice--I'll keep that in mind. Would you ever sell or 1031 your properties?

    Thanks for the tip @Rachel H.! I've listened to some podcasts with her on and she seems really knowledgeable! 

    @Salvador Aldrett thanks a lot! Will do!

    @Corey Clarkston Thank you! How are things in Jax? I've heard it's booming there.

    Thanks @Matt K. glad you found it helpful!

    @Eric 

    @Eric Moehrle They were helpful and very responsive from the beginning! But it's just the start of the relationship right now, so we'll see how things go now that I actually own the property. Yes they do things in house through their local team. Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my email. We can chat more if you'd like!

    @Lane Kawaoka Great, thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.