First Buy and Hold Success

First Buy and Hold Success

Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 41 votes

Hi Everyone,

I finally can say my first rental is rented out. I decided back at the beginning of the year I wanted to get into Rental properties but did not have the money but really wanted to do this. Started cutting out as many expenses as possible and was able to save up enough for my first rental. I went from being the typical person living paycheck to paycheck to now only spending 55% of my paycheck by cutting out all unnecessary expenses.

After putting in around 10 offers I finally had one accepted back in June 2017 and did not close till the first week of August due to lender delays. Since it was a foreclosure there was a little money to put into the property than I initially thought. I did not know I had to pay all transfer taxes could not get any seller help etc.

The details on the property are the below:

-Purchase Price: $80,000

-Closing Cost/Taxes/15% down: $20,575.46

-Interest Rate: 5.25%

-Mortgage/Insurance/Taxes/PMI: $566.09

-Capex (10%): $129.50

-Repairs (5%): $64.75

-Rent Loss (8.33%): $107.92

-Rent: $1,295

-Profit per month: $426.74

-Yearly Cash on Cash Return: 21%

I had to make a few repairs to the home before having it rented out. I had to replace the Windows (x9) in the whole house, refrigerator, stove, light bulbs, paint, flooring in bedrooms and bathroom, few other miscellaneous things around the home which totaled just under $3,500 for all repairs. I actually estimated it would cost around $4,000 in repairs before I bought the home so I was a little under budget in that aspect.

Master bedroom floor before :

Master bedroom floor after:

I had to make a few repairs to the home before having it rented out. I had to replace the Windows (x9) in the whole house, refrigerator, stove, light bulbs, paint, flooring in bedrooms and bathroom, few other miscellaneous things around the home which totaled just under $3,500 for all repairs. I actually estimated it would cost around $4,000 in repairs before I bought the home so I was a little under budget in that aspect.

So far I am all in at $23,991.73 to this property. Now that I learned the whole process from this home I set the goal to have another house under contract by the end of the year. Will be selling my “weekend” car to purchase a second rental as I know I can use the rental income to buy another next year if I choose to.

I always loved reading the beginner posts as I knew they were in the same boat as me so hopefully this helps someone out there take the next step.

Thanks,

Zack

20Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Clayton MobleyPro Member
Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 875 posts · 947 votes
8y

@Zack Clopper Congrats! Having put in the time and money to replace those windows and appliances is going to pay off long-term in lower maintenance costs and happier tenants that stay longer - great job! A lot of first timers try to keep costs as low as possible by leaving in items that are 'good enough' but it ends up costing them later. Sounds like you're on the right track and on your way to REI success. Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    8y
    Congrats!!! Looks good
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 191 votes
    8y

    Wow Zack, very inspiring!  Thanks for sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Congratulations!!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congratulations Zack

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Zack, did you go to a typical lender for this rental?(bank ) or private money? I have read somewhere to get approval for a mortgage on a income property you must document property management experience for at least two years!  Am I reading that wrong as showing them FUTURE management for 2 yrs or I have to HAVE already 2 years experience which I don not :(   I have my eye a couple of duplex or triplex buildings :!!!  Anyone following can help a girl out, I'd be ever so grateful.  I have a decent amount of $ in stocks I can use as down payment.

  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    8y

    Congrats much success to you

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    @Zack Clopper Congrats!!  Very inspiring at the amount of determination and resourcefulness you have dedicated to doing this.  Seems like you have really made that commitment in your mind and that is half the battle, I am sure you are on your way to much more success!!  Wish you the best of luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Zack did you get funding from a private/hard money lender or conventional bank? I'm curious because although I have a good $50k in stock investments I dont want to sell them right now especially since there's a great gain and it's year end!! Any and all input is appreciated. Whether in this case (which is also similar to mine) I want to purchase a rental (its pretty much turnkey)  whether to just get financing and payoff later with stock sales proceeds. MUCH MORE SUCCESS to you Zack!

  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    @Christine Johanns sorry for the long delay. I used Sierra Pacific Mortgage, I believe they are national lender. Sierra does not require you to have prior experience as long as you have a lease in place at least that is how my lender is doing it. However most banks do require 2 years tax returns with the rental income on it before they will count it towards your income. Also 2-units and above you have to put 25% down instead of 15-20% which the Cash on Cash return for that year brings the percentage down which makes it less attractive to me. I decided to just sell the stocks I had because the ROI was much greater in rentals then on average in the stock market however this depends on your area too. However I had been slowly selling out of my stocks for about a year when they were up. If it were me I would just sell out of my top gainers and use that money for the down payment or renovations and keep the other money in stocks to keep myself diversified.

    I put the minimum amount down because I ran the numbers with 15% paying PMI or 20-25% down, the break even for putting the extra 5-10% down versus just paying the PMI was 10+ years which I will probably sell before 10 years to get a bigger property. Hope this helps some.

    @James A. thank you, I already started putting offers in on a few more properties to try and get one more under contract by the end of the year just not much fitting my criteria on the market right now in Baltimore County.

  • Landlord/Mentor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2011 · 96 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    @Zack Clopper Congrats! I am a Baltimore landlord and here a a couple of things that you need to know about- Lead testing and registering with MDE, and if it is in the city- getting the property registered as a rental. The MDE thing is REALLY important so if you have any questions- hit me up. You had a great plan- and it worked! Can't wait to hear about the next one!

    Mark

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    More than anything...congrats on being able to cut out that unnecessary spending as that's a win in itself! And congrats on your first rental!

  • Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Zack Clopper I am looking at Mendocino County or Sacramento area of California. It's rough to find deals here where I live, Sonoma County. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 158 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Zack Clopper:

    @Christine Johanns sorry for the long delay. I used Sierra Pacific Mortgage, I believe they are national lender. Sierra does not require you to have prior experience as long as you have a lease in place at least that is how my lender is doing it. However most banks do require 2 years tax returns with the rental income on it before they will count it towards your income. Also 2-units and above you have to put 25% down instead of 15-20% which the Cash on Cash return for that year brings the percentage down which makes it less attractive to me. I decided to just sell the stocks I had because the ROI was much greater in rentals then on average in the stock market however this depends on your area too. However I had been slowly selling out of my stocks for about a year when they were up. If it were me I would just sell out of my top gainers and use that money for the down payment or renovations and keep the other money in stocks to keep myself diversified.

    I put the minimum amount down because I ran the numbers with 15% paying PMI or 20-25% down, the break even for putting the extra 5-10% down versus just paying the PMI was 10+ years which I will probably sell before 10 years to get a bigger property. Hope this helps some.

    @James A. thank you, I already started putting offers in on a few more properties to try and get one more under contract by the end of the year just not much fitting my criteria on the market right now in Baltimore County.

    Sorry if you already posted the answer,  but did you use a conventional loan on the purchase? And then you plan to refi out into another conventional? No hard money or cash? 

  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I used a conventional loan with Sierra Pacific Mortgage with 15% down in White Marsh area the lender is Michael. I used my own cash to do the renovations. At first I was debating about doing hard money but with needing less than $5,000 in repairs it didn't make much sense due to the high interest I would have been paying for 6 months. I plan on doing a Cash out Refi or HELOC on the home at 6 months or a little after depending on which lender I go with and their requirements.

  • Landlord/Mentor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2011 · 96 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    @Zack Clopper, Baltimore County properties need to have an inspection done and be registered as well. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Zack Clopper congratulations. I think I am most impressed by how much money you were able to cut out of your budget. That takes real discipline.

  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    @Ned Carey Thank you, I am always reading your posts. Hopefully I will get to meet you at one of the real estate meetings one day and talk.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.