This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,040 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great job, Nicholas! Thanks for the “during” pictures as well!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Great job and excellent result. Kitchen looks especially good!

  • Wentzville, MO · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Awesome example and excellent execution of that rehab!
  • Professional · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Great success and thanks for the added inspiration! Best of luck of the Repeat!
  • Martinez, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Way to go Nicholas! Very well executed project! Really appreciate you sharing it.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Great work man! I am doing essentially the same thing in Mukwonago, WI!  Almost done!  

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    8y
    Awesome job. congratulations. I like the paint and lighting combinations..it has a welcoming feel...
  • Greg ParkerBusiness Member
    Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 663 posts · 536 votes
    8y

    Perfect.  That is exactly what I do!  Slow and steady.

    MGM Property Pros LLC
    View Page
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orange, CA · Member since 2012 · 68 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    Great work and beautiful end product!  Great numbers and quick timeframe. Great work again. 

  • Hudson, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing. Great to see the numbers and hear about the process!

  • Irving, TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Very inspiring! Hopefully your story can move my husband's hard head :)) You did a great job with the interior. On to the next!!

  • Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Wow! Good stuff!!

  • Mike GruolPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Nicely done Nicholas! I look forward to seeing how the next one turns out! 

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    nice work and well written post.   Simple yet effective

  • Software Entrepreneur · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Congrats! 

    2 more and you can roll up.

  • Lender · Irving, TX · Member since 2012 · 175 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. great job! Did you know if you used a Hard money loan for the purchase and rehab costs your cash outlay at the first closing would have been around $5,000 and you could do an immediate rate/term refinance once the rehab was complete and gotten up to $2,500 back for a total of $2,500 in the deal after about 2 months from purchase date?

  • Somewhere warm · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. fantastic job, man! Hoping you can help me understand your math/deal. I've just started looking into the BRRRR method and trying to make sense of the numbers in your case. (Warning - noob question)... Based on your numbers, I'm assuming your traditional loan was about $106k? You paid out of pocket, 20% down ($26k), plus the rehab costs ($30k)? How did you cover these expenses, and how did you recoup those costs to get back to $0 out of pocket? Your cash flow of $540/month makes sense, but I still don't get how you recoup your out of pocket expenses.

  • Versailles, KY · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    You should consider being a remodel contractor in your spare time. Nice work!

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Congrats.... Very impressive!

  • Tom PatelPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Germantown, MD · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Great job!! Thanks for sharing it.

  • Professional · Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    you did a great job! congrats!

  • Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Great work Nicholas!  You had a pretty fast turn around for doing most of the work yourself.  I like the paint colors, tile, and interior doors you picked.  Good job!  I wish you good luck in your next endeavor.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Awesome job @Nicholas W. ! Question. Did you ever look into hiring contractors for any of the work outside of the plumbing rough in? Just wondering if you did, and what types of quotes you received. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, VA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Well played and executed.  Inspired!

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 188 votes
    8y

    Great job! I love the execution. Obviously your arv was based on comps. The actual arv is 30 over your conservative arv. Where you being overly conservative there? I didnt expect to see that much difference. Any info on your comparison process? Dos and Donts? 

    Also, any info on how you nailed the rent. I usually just call local PMs to find out what kind of rent i can realistically expect. Sometimes Craigslist is misleading.

    Your execution is truly inspiring!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.