This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
911 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Gig Harbor, WA · Member since 2011 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great job.  I like your enthusiasm - keep up the good work.   :)

  • Garrett WhitePro Member
    Property Manager · Raleigh-Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    How long did you have the property before refi? Do you recommend any banks for early refi under a year? Looks great....Cheers!

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Garrett White:

    How long did you have the property before refi? Do you recommend any banks for early refi under a year? Looks great....Cheers!

     6.5 months. Fannie Mae guidelines require that you make 6 mortgage payments if refinancing a conventional mortgage. The bank I'm using is local but any bank "can" do it. Just have to make some calls to find one that will.

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    BEAUTIFUL work Nicholas! As a fellow Sconnie, would you share your source for finding bank owned properties? I’m located in Madison where RE prices are very inflated.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I appreciate you spend the time to go through steps of improvement you personally made. Even the cost of the materials is reasonable.  

    Two questions for you:

    1. How long did it take you renovate 2.5 month?

    2. Would you say the GC would have charged you $30K in labor alone?

    Good job & best wishes

    Sam Shueh

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Fabulous!

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sam Shueh:

    I appreciate you spend the time to go through steps of improvement you personally made. Even the cost of the materials is reasonable.  

    Two questions for you:

    1. How long did it take you renovate 2.5 month?

    2. Would you say the GC would have charged you $30K in labor alone?

    Good job & best wishes

    Sam Shueh

     The rehab took about 3 months. I would estimate the work I did would have cost $10k if I hired a contractor do it. If I had a GC manage the entire job start to finish I would estimate the entire rehab to cost $45k instead of the $30k I was able to do it for.

  • José RiveraPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Clermont, FL · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Great execution! House looks great
  • James BrownPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    Right on. This is inspiring. Congrats! I'm planning on doing BRRRR so seeing your numbers and pictures is really reassuring. Keep us posted on your next one too!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. awesome job Nick! Not everyone has the guts to follow through with an offer on a property that is on and off for sale, is difficult to show and has a tenant with complicated circumstances, a questionable lease possibly protected under fair housing laws - you were bold making the offer and managed a delicate tenant situation very gracefully - all that before you could even get started on the rehab! Well deserved success!!

    Excellent example to all those who complain that there are no good deals on MLS!!

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Auerbach:

    @Nicholas W. awesome job Nick! Not everyone has the guts to follow through with an offer on a property that is on and off for sale, is difficult to show and has a complicated tenant with questionalbe lease possibly protected under fair housing laws - you were bold the offer and managed a delicate tenant situation very gracefully before you could even start the rehab! Well deserved success!

    Excellent example to all those who complain that there are no good deals on MLS!!

    I am not sure how graceful it was but it's done now. Thanks for all your help and encouragement throughout the purchasing process, I really do appreciate it!

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Awesome, Thanks for sharing you did a great job.

  • Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2017 · 90 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Great job! What color blue did you paint the walls?

  • Chino Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    This is great! Can't wait to hear about your next deal
  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. great job! 

  • Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Very well done!
  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    Great job @Nicholas W. !

  • Hudson, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    This is great! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and numbers. 

  • West Long Branch, NJ · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    an inspiring story for all new real estate investors. congrats and good luck on your next project

  • Investor · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. Thanks for the inspiring post! I am also an investor in the Milwaukee market.  Beautiful work and I think Menomonee Falls is great.  I definitely think keeping it as a rental for at least a couple years is a great idea. First of all, you can avoid being taxed to death on the gain and also, you can cash in on the rising Milwaukee market! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Very nicely done.  The place is beautiful! 

  • West Bend, WI · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Amazing! I’m a new investor in my area and it still amazes me how much of an improvement flipping can make.

  • WI · Member since 2018 · 123 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    Nice job Nicholas.  This area is very close to me as well! Nice to see practical applications in an area that I know!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    Turned out great!

  • Investor · Hudson Valley, NY · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    I'm a totally newb and trying to learn so appreciate you bearing with me. I am struggling to understand how you got to net cash of $64k. If the loan amount was $172k (75% LTV), and your cash outlay (down payment + rehab) was $57k, wouldn't net cash be $172k - $57k?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.