This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
961 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · West Islip, NY · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    Nice !
  • David FisherPro Member
    Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Good work! I like how you laid the whole BRRRR thing out. I'm at the beginning of learning about real-estate. I'm trying to learn everything I can. My goal is start flipping houses next year. Thanks again for sharing!

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    You did really good work on the rehab too!

  • Stacy PariPro Member
    Running Springs, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Awesome job & mahalo for sharing! Love the pix too! :)
  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, ME · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas W.:
    Originally posted by @Carl Hebert:

    Great job! I really like how you worked with the original glass blocks in the bathroom. Taking something some would say is dated and making it feel new! 

     Thanks Carl, that must be a regional thing. Around here glass block is the go to solution for windows in showers. What is common in your area?

     Wall lol, no really that is about all you see in most showers is a tile wall no window/glass block wall. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 283 posts · 179 votes
    8y
    First of all, you did a great job on the work. If you enjoy that, definitely keep doing it for your own rehabs. A few costs I don’t see calculated, for a fair comparison, are cost to originate and refinance loans, cost of your time. A good way to calculate is to see how much you are worth per hour on your current job then, bump the rate up slightly since youre working OT. Then multiply by the hours you put in. If your a high wage earner, then add about 15-25k based on your area for a Contractor price. There is a true cost of time. With a contractor, you are paying someone else for their time. Not trading your time for dollars. Also, you may save some sanity, and get the work done quicker. Which is important if you are using a HML on a house that won’t qualify for financing. But I love BRRRR method, and you’ve done a great job. Keep it up, and do 5 more in 2018
  • Investor · League City, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Great Job Nicholas! In addition to doing an excellent job with the numbers, you have a great eye for design. Thanks for detailing the process so clearly for us. Best Wishes to you as you acquire that final “R” D.
  • Bozeman, MT · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great work.  You've inspired to post more on my rehab projects.  Completed my first Brrrr a few months ago.  I'm financing my money out tomorrow and on to the next! 

    Paid 74K for a house 

    Put 50k into it

    Total 124K 

    Rented for 1250/Month

    Appraised for 185-190k 

    Pulling my 124k out and on to the next with a safe loan to value ratio. 

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Logan Turner:

    First of all, you did a great job on the work. If you enjoy that, definitely keep doing it for your own rehabs.

    A few costs I don’t see calculated, for a fair comparison, are cost to originate and refinance loans, cost of your time. A good way to calculate is to see how much you are worth per hour on your current job then, bump the rate up slightly since youre working OT. Then multiply by the hours you put in. If your a high wage earner, then add about 15-25k based on your area for a Contractor price.

    There is a true cost of time. With a contractor, you are paying someone else for their time. Not trading your time for dollars. Also, you may save some sanity, and get the work done quicker. Which is important if you are using a HML on a house that won't qualify for financing.

    But I love BRRRR method, and you've done a great job. Keep it up, and do 5 more in 2018

    Logan, thank you for the compliments.

    Although not necessarily their own line item, closing costs on both the purchase and the refinance were accounted for. On the purchase they were paid for by the seller via a $2k closing cost credit. Not only did that pay the $1500 in closing costs but it also the majority of my first years insurance premium as well. On the refinance the closing costs are accounted for by the difference between the $64k check I will receive and the $105k loan balance to be paid off by the new $172k loan.

    Being self employed I'm acutely aware of how much my time is worth. I spent about 225 hours on the rehab and saved approximately $10k doing the work myself, that is $44 an hour which I'm happy to make. The work might have been done more quickly, but I'm not sure I would save any sanity seeing as one of the most common complaints on BP is managing contractors. Especially considering I have very high expectations and want everything done to a certain standard.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Donna Page:

    Great Job Nicholas!
    In addition to doing an excellent job with the numbers, you have a great eye for design.

    Thanks for detailing the process so clearly for us.

    Best Wishes to you as you acquire that final “R”
    D.

    Thanks Donna, my wife has the great eye for design. If I played any part in designing it the after pictures might look worse than the before's lol. Glad I could help!

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Fraser:

    Great work.  You've inspired to post more on my rehab projects.  Completed my first Brrrr a few months ago.  I'm financing my money out tomorrow and on to the next! 

    Paid 74K for a house 

    Put 50k into it

    Total 124K 

    Rented for 1250/Month

    Appraised for 185-190k 

    Pulling my 124k out and on to the next with a safe loan to value ratio. 

     Congrats Kyle! Sounds like a great deal, you should make a post with all the details and maybe some pictures.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Really good job @Nicholas W

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    This is awesome! Very inspiring for someone excited to start their first project

  • Muskego, WI · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    BRRRR is great as long as your loan is locked for 15/30 years. If you are doing commercial loans be wary of this strategy. Values are very high right now and if we get a decent size correction say bye bye to your home/credit/cash. People tend to forget quickly what happened during the crash, to be leveraged at 80% on inflated values may prove to be fatal someday. I wish you the best though! Sorry for seeming like Debbie Downer here.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    This is awesome!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    8y

    Great job @Nicholas W.! Looks great on the interior and the numbers are awesome. Maybe I need to change strategies to the BRRR method instead of flipping;)

    Where is this beauty located? 

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole Pettis:

    Great job @Nicholas W.! Looks great on the interior and the numbers are awesome. Maybe I need to change strategies to the BRRR method instead of flipping;)

    Where is this beauty located? 

     Thanks Nicole, this house is in Menomonee Falls.

  • Real Estate Broker · Westminster, MD · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 101 votes
    8y

    That is a home run deal. The best part is that if you took the number of hours you spent and calculated their value over the course of investment; it might be the most valuable plumbing and electric work you will ever do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Thats a winner. No money into the deal after your refi (although your time has some value so technically thats a little misleading). And your gross profit is over 500/mo. Plus you picked up 60k in equity. Can u imagine if you could grab 10 of those just like that? Thats why buy and hold is so appealing to me anyway. 

    btw: I'm a big fan of quoting gross profit on BP as well. Just saves all the headache on having people argue about maintenance, capex, etc. 

  • TX · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    About right, nice one

  • Reston, VA · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    This was inspiring. Great post. Congrats.

  • Flipper · York, PA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I love this success story and is very inspiring!  Could you speak to how you found your tenents?  After all that work you want to make sure you find someone you trust.  I completed my first flip which i ended putting much of my blood, sweat and tears into towards the end due to a subpar contractor.   With the profits from this one, i may do the same thing and brrrr it. That's my end goal. Oh and the colors used are great, thank you for sharing! 

  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W., thanks for sharing this, it is definitely inspiring!  I commend you for sticking to a high standard of quality, everyone is so busy trying to minimize expenses that quality tends to suffer quite often so it's good to see people who have high standards.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam L.:

    I love this success story and is very inspiring!  Could you speak to how you found your tenents?  After all that work you want to make sure you find someone you trust.  I completed my first flip which i ended putting much of my blood, sweat and tears into towards the end due to a subpar contractor.   With the profits from this one, i may do the same thing and brrrr it. That's my end goal. Oh and the colors used are great, thank you for sharing! 

    In my area listing on zillow and craigslist has done well for me. The tenants who ended up renting were actually from craigslist. I found that the quality of prospect I got from both zillow syndicated sites and craigslist to be very similar. I only take emails for the initial contact and then I send them a list of (non-discriminating) questions that give me a good feel for how qualified they might be. Most don't respond with answers which I figure mean either they knew their answers were poor or they weren't very serious to begin with. Very few get to this point but if their answers are satisfactory I will set up a showing. If their interested in it still I send them a link to a cozy.co application. This process saves me a ton of time, I had 1 prospect not show up for their showing and the only other prospect ended up renting it. Hope that helps.

  • Richmond, VIRGINIA (VA) · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    This is super inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing-- the visuals are invaluable. Way to go!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.